PDA

View Full Version : Feature request: Secondary labels

905shmick
10-13-2009, 02:05 PM
So what I'm looking for here is the ability to have a primary channel label than never changes and remains as part of the mix template ie: E-Gtr1, E-Gtr2, A-Gtr1, Voc1, Voc2 and then add/change a secondary label for the channel ie: the name of the performer on an as-needed basis.

Bob L
10-13-2009, 04:03 PM
I just add the name at the end of the basic template labels as I am setting up the session for each band.

No different... you still have to type the name uniquely for each new session... just replace the original instrument label or add to it.

Bob L

905shmick
10-14-2009, 10:52 AM
In our setup we have defined channel inputs which would be the non-changing channel labels. The band members and vocalists change every week. So what I was looking for is a way to quickly punch in names without touching the pre-defined channel labels. This way we can see an instrument/mic label as well as a name.

I suppose another way of going about this would be to save/recall individual channels which would even give the flexibility of saving & recalling individual Dyn & EQ settings. I didn't look, but can the channel label be saved & recalled with the rest of the channel data?

gdougherty
10-14-2009, 11:02 AM
In our setup we have defined channel inputs which would be the non-changing channel labels. The band members and vocalists change every week. So what I was looking for is a way to quickly punch in names without touching the pre-defined channel labels. This way we can see an instrument/mic label as well as a name.

I suppose another way of going about this would be to save/recall individual channels which would even give the flexibility of saving & recalling individual Dyn & EQ settings. I didn't look, but can the channel label be saved & recalled with the rest of the channel data?

No, but I kind of wish it could be. Then again, there are times where it's nice that it doesn't.

905shmick
10-14-2009, 11:45 AM
Perhaps we get can get another option in the save/recall menu to save and recall with or without labels. That seems like it would be the most flexible option.

Bob L
10-14-2009, 12:43 PM
If your basic template starts with the instrument names... all you have to do is create your new session starting with the template... now... shift-click a chan label... press the right-arrow or end key to jump to the end of the existing instrument text... then add "- Joe"... or whatever you need for your so called secondary musician label name... it adds on... no difference if you made some sort of secondary label... you would be typing the same amount of information... the end result of combining the labels would look the same... and you can already do it now without me having to write more code and take up more precious ram storing an array of secondary label variables. :)

Bob L

905shmick
10-14-2009, 01:07 PM
Any thoughts on storing and recalling channel data with/without labels?

ssrsound
10-14-2009, 01:34 PM
I would love that... the ability to save and load a single channel to/from a separate file.

Why? When mixing festivals, you've got to set up bands fast. Often you don't even get a sound check. Being able to start each channel with "something close" settings is a big bonus. So I'd love to be able to quickly load the perfect "kick drum with a beta52" channel for my kick, "trombone on beta 58" into my trombone track, etc. It's a way of making my own pre-sets for each type of track, and being able to quickly start at some reasonable settings.

I'd probably build a folder of my favorite settings and have them at the ready all the time.

I'd probably want it to include all the SAC channel strip settings, label and plugins that are on that channel.

txshonk
10-14-2009, 01:55 PM
I would love that... the ability to save and load a single channel to/from a separate file.

Jim -

Unless I am not understanding thats something you can already - "Alt" "right clicking" allows you to store all settings from the channel and recall - so you can have a library of pre dialed in channels available. I think it works great.

Dave

ssrsound
10-14-2009, 02:45 PM
Ooo! Nifty! Bob anticipates my needs again!

I'll check that out tonight.

RBIngraham
10-14-2009, 04:20 PM
Perhaps we get can get another option in the save/recall menu to save and recall with or without labels. That seems like it would be the most flexible option.

As long as you put the same instrument mic into the same channel all the time, couldn't you just build up a library of Scenes that only recall 1 channels worth of data? Just import them into every one of your Mix sessions and then recall them as you need? That give you both channel labels and if you want, channel orders.

Just a thought... not sure if it's the best solution...

905shmick
10-14-2009, 04:36 PM
I'd have to have more than a dozen individual scenes that way compared to saved channel data that already exists but now that's needed is to add the functionality of saving and recalling the channel label with the rest of the saved data.

Also, some of the mics and instruments wouldn't be in the same spot each time.

RBIngraham
10-14-2009, 04:38 PM
I'd have to have more than a dozen individual scenes that way compared to saved channel data that already exists but now that's needed is to add the functionality of saving and recalling the channel label with the rest of the saved data.

Just proposing it as a work around until you get what you really want. :)

UpTilDawn
10-14-2009, 04:55 PM

Also, some of the mics and instruments wouldn't be in the same spot each time.

Just like what Bob added to the Mix template options a while back... correct?

gdougherty
10-14-2009, 06:49 PM
Labels and channel order are global to the selected mixers, you don't get partial channels on those.

For Jim, that's the first thing I did with SAC, create a bunch of presets for different voices, instruments and drums. Coming from my Yamaha O1v that shipped with presets for all the major input types, I wanted that convenience in SAC. The dynamics are configured with appropriate frequency keying and even ouput assignment for my standard VCA arrangement. I run down the line and label channels, then quickly recall a preset over each channel. I quickly set gains, tweak a few EQ's and move the faders up and down.

RBIngraham
10-14-2009, 06:59 PM
Labels and channel order are global to the selected mixers, you don't get partial channels on those.

Duh! Well that settles that. So much for that idea. :p

UpTilDawn
10-14-2009, 08:33 PM
Labels and channel order are global to the selected mixers, you don't get partial channels on those...

If this was in response to my suggestion that what was being asked for is similar to what Bob recently added to the Mixer template recall options, then let me clarify that I was refering to this comment from 905shmick: Any thoughts on storing and recalling channel data with/without labels? and what I thought was still being banted about.

Sorry if I am now more confused than before... I'll butt out and ask for Ian's coat. ;)

DanT

905shmick
10-14-2009, 08:40 PM
Just like what Bob added to the Mix template options a while back... correct?

Mix template options?

gdougherty
10-14-2009, 10:27 PM
If this was in response to my suggestion that what was being asked for is similar to what Bob recently added to the Mixer template recall options, then let me clarify that I was refering to this comment from 905shmick: Any thoughts on storing and recalling channel data with/without labels? and what I thought was still being banted about.

Sorry if I am now more confused than before... I'll butt out and ask for Ian's coat. ;)

DanT

No, this was in response to RB's suggestion to use scenes for recalling various channel labels. You can't do them piecemeal as he appeared to be suggesting so I thought I'd save somebody the time of trying it out.

UpTilDawn
10-15-2009, 06:24 AM
Mix template options?

WOW!:eek:

I haven't been using SAC much lately, other than to update it and test the spdif loop issue the other day.

I hadn't noticed that SAC mix template options do not include the with or without labels choices!

SAW does include those choices. I guess I assumed that Bob would have included them in SAC as well since that idea is so convenient.
At any rate, the choice does exist already in SAW. Maybe Bob will include it in SAC and consider including it as an option in the individual channel strip save and recall options in both programs as well...

DanT

UpTilDawn
10-15-2009, 06:25 AM
No, this was in response to RB's suggestion to use scenes for recalling various channel labels. You can't do them piecemeal as he appeared to be suggesting so I thought I'd save somebody the time of trying it out.

Gotcha. I wasn't sure.

905shmick
10-15-2009, 09:11 AM
WOW!:eek:

I haven't been using SAC much lately, other than to update it and test the spdif loop issue the other day.

I hadn't noticed that SAC mix template options do not include the with or without labels choices!

SAW does include those choices. I guess I assumed that Bob would have included them in SAC as well since that idea is so convenient.
At any rate, the choice does exist already in SAW. Maybe Bob will include it in SAC and consider including it as an option in the individual channel strip save and recall options in both programs as well...

DanT

Yep, that's what I'd like to see as well.

In reality, only 1 extra option on the recall menu would be needed, the option to recall with or without channel label. Might as well save the channel label by default and then let the user decide if they want to recall it.