PDA

View Full Version : WinXP default theme faster?

AudioAstronomer
12-15-2004, 02:05 PM
I just installed windows on a new computer and didnt bother changing the theme. I turned off all the animations and such then went to isntalling drivers, software etc.... I immediately noticed displays were quicker and less glitchy than what Im used to with the "98 look".

Ive tried on my laptop daw now and its the same feel. Is there any valid reason as to why this would be? Maybe windows is drawing lines and boxes and calculating shading with 98 look and just drawing bitmaps with the default theme? Either way, it seems faster. Anyone have contrasting or similiar experience or a reason for this? I always just turned it off right away.

matt
12-15-2004, 03:05 PM
My guess is it's because you have just don a clean install, which always results in the system running smoother and faster. Try loading up cubase and sonar and see if it runs the same :p

AudioAstronomer
12-15-2004, 03:31 PM
But.. I tried on another system that's been running as is for a year now

Yura
12-16-2004, 04:27 AM
Robert,
Untill someone of higher competency will input with this, I note I saw something before.
3 years ago I was rageing with some graphic shells for XP and found one loveliest for me that was named Window Blinds (if I'm not mistaken). this is a kind if "alternative" shells and I found one set inside of it called Mac that emulated mac's look very exitefully (and even nicer than mac). I used it for a couple of years and puzzled all of my clients what OS I used.
But what I must to say, it was seemed that windows graphics behavior of Windows Blinds was a little faster (or seemed so) in compare with "classic" look as you mentioned. It had deal with a more slower processor enough and difference was easyer to note.
Enybody wants Windiws Blinds? :)

Jesse Skeens
12-16-2004, 04:30 AM
I'd like to take a look at it.

if you want email me it at jskeens @ gmail.com

Yura
12-16-2004, 05:30 AM
This is about 7 meg.
http://www.download.com/WindowBlinds/3000-2326_4-10321098.html

AudioAstronomer
12-16-2004, 08:59 AM
I used to use windows blinds too :)

Im much more fond of geoshell though. But I cant bring myself to putting it back on my DAW. Everything is working fabulous (new processor, more ram, nicer hard drives, nicer video card etc...) and I dont wanna press my luck.

Carl G.
12-16-2004, 10:32 AM
This is about 7 meg.
http://www.download.com/WindowBlinds/3000-2326_4-10321098.html
It's noted as being Spyware/Adware...just FYI.
Carl

SoundSuite
12-16-2004, 12:40 PM
I just installed windows on a new computer and didnt bother changing the theme. I turned off all the animations and such then went to isntalling drivers, software etc.... I immediately noticed displays were quicker and less glitchy than what Im used to with the "98 look".

Ive tried on my laptop daw now and its the same feel. Is there any valid reason as to why this would be? Maybe windows is drawing lines and boxes and calculating shading with 98 look and just drawing bitmaps with the default theme? Either way, it seems faster. Anyone have contrasting or similiar experience or a reason for this? I always just turned it off right away.
No clue...sorry