PDA

View Full Version : Buildmix problem - Help with tracking this down?

Arco
10-26-2009, 09:07 AM
Can anyone help me suss this out?

I have an edit that is clean during playback but clearly bad in the resulting buildmix file--sounds almost like there are no soft-edges in place.

I've solo'd the track and each of the other tracks and there is no noticeable problem on any of the tracks during playback.

If I buildmix just the problem area there is no sign of the bad edit sound, it's only when I buildmix the whole piece (30 seconds) that the 'bad edit' sound shows itself.

...strange..

Dave Labrecque
10-26-2009, 09:17 AM
Can anyone help me suss this out?

I have an edit that is clean during playback but clearly bad in the resulting buildmix file--sounds almost like there are no soft-edges in place.

I've solo'd the track and each of the other tracks and there is no noticeable problem on any of the tracks during playback.

If I buildmix just the problem area there is no sign of the bad edit sound, it's only when I buildmix the whole piece (30 seconds) that the 'bad edit' sound shows itself.

...strange..
Are you using a UAD card in the session? Some other funky buffer-messing plugs? Try bypassing them to see if the problem goes away.

Bob L
10-26-2009, 09:51 AM
Could the bad edit sound actually be something clipping when all tracks are playing together... a transient that hits at the same moment on multiple tracks pushing the sum into overload?

Otherwise... check for plugin issues... some plugs will cause buffer latencies and buildups when played from the start that will not show up when playback is started from a different position.

Also... check for any automation at the bad spot... and perhaps try sliding the automation slightly earlier or later.

I have also seen AutoTune do strange things depending on where a region of audio might start... sliding the region boundary slightly will stop the problem.

Bob L

MMP
10-26-2009, 02:26 PM
Any realtime sample rate conversion going on?

Regards,

MM

Arco
10-26-2009, 02:55 PM
Moved the edit point and changed the softedge and voila...still, perplexed that there was no sign of the bad edit in the playback when it was perfectly clear in the buildmix file.

btw: no src, no UAC cards..very simple EDL - 6 tracks, one reverb plugin (SIR2.0)

Bob L
10-26-2009, 07:18 PM
If SIR 2 was not set for zero latency, then it was witholding buffers and causing all sorts of potential grief.

Bob L

TotalSonic
10-27-2009, 06:57 AM
Erik -
Was SIR2 loaded with an impule file that was not the same sample rate as the session? Did you try loading different impulse files to see if the problem was related to it?

Best regards,
Steve Berson