PDA

View Full Version : SAWStudio Lite and EZDrummer

Jeff Scott
10-27-2009, 09:49 AM
Hi folks....considering purchasing SAWStudio Lite and EZDrummer as well. In a brief forum search I see that some of you are using EZDrummer with SAW.

Question; Do I need to purchase the SAW Midi Workstation to run EZDrummer or can I run EZDrummer inside of SAWStudio Lite?

DominicPerry
10-27-2009, 11:42 AM
I've had nothing but disaster with Toontrack's products, including EZDrummer. It should work without MWS, but in my case, it wouldn't work at all, even outside of SAW. Others here have had different levels of problems - and eventually got it working. I gave up when I ran out of 'internet authorisations'.

Dominic

HapHazzard
10-27-2009, 02:18 PM
You should use NWS to record the midi events.
I do a lot of MWS with Toontrack EZ and Superior.

Works pretty smoothly.
When I get to a point where you want to bounce the tracks it's best to.
1. Save a "Drums Only" version of the session.
2. Remove the other midi tracks so it contains only the drum track.(Bob, remember the Midi Mute / Disable (http://www.sawstudiouser.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8199&highlight=mws) still got it on the list?)
3. Export the midi drum track only.
4. Open the EZ Player and load the exported drum track.
5. The bounce tab in EZ Player will now bounce all the tracks separately as individual wave files. Kick-in, Kick-out, Kick-Sub, Snare over, Snare Under, Snare Floor, and so on. Pick and choice what you want and insert then into the working session.

Set up conversation from earlier thread (http://www.sawstudiouser.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8088&highlight=mws)

Don't try to bounce EZ Player within SAW. Toontracks and SAW will fight over the CPU. It's very ugly.

Hap

Bill Park
10-27-2009, 04:19 PM
I not only has disastrous results from EZ Drummer, I found that there was NO support, unless I was willing to pay for it. Never was able to get to a real person.

My version of EZ decided one day that it was invalid. Needed a new authorisation number. Guess what? New number didn't work. I guess if I could have reaches someone to help me, there may have been an answer somewhere.... but for $***37;^%$%^ sake, if I'm sitting there with a client and one piece of my software decided to go south... well, that is just not a product that I need.

and again... if there and been any way to get any help, it might be a different situation. But SAW being so rock solid, it is just really stupid to link it to a buill**** product like EZ Drummer that shuts itself off at will.

HapHazzard
10-27-2009, 06:36 PM
At first I had a ton of trouble but as soon as I got more familiar with the setup it became very stable.

Now if your running EZDrummer and need to record the events then yes you will need to have MWS.

In SAW at the EZD plug-in it shows the hardware and Virtual ports. (Bob's Blue Diamond)
Then choice the VST virtual in port 01.
I then go live to check and sound are now coming from the EZD.

At the MWS track that is going to record the event, it should be set to Prt-1(v-port 01) ,Chn-1
Right Click over the record button on the desired channel in MSW and choice the hardware in port and engage the Midi thru.

Go live again and play the keyboard or drum pad and you should see (and heard) the meters move in MSW and SAW

Like I said. It sounds easy but you must practice and after a while it will seem like "How in the heck was I crashing it before"

For authorization issues, I've had my share. What I found is to "Not Move A Thing!! after the install. If you must, here's how.

Install EZD or Superior 2. It will ask you where to put the samples and where the host's VSTs are. EZD will show up as a DLL file. If it's not in the SAW VST folder, you can move it to there. Try to only use one host (SAW). If you're like me and have 3 or more (Cubase, Cakewalk, ect) remember it will want a NEW Authorization for each file location.

At this time you can open SAW and plug in the EDZ Vst and authorize it. You must do the complete procedure or it will DIE:eek: after so many days. Did that!!

Make sure you go the Microstudio's site (http://www.thessvideos.com/)and check out the video he has on MWS.

Hap

Bob L
10-27-2009, 07:45 PM
If you use my VST ini link file, you will not have to move the dll file and will probably save on an authorization.

Bob L