PDA

View Full Version : OT - Using Netook outside of U.S. with 220

DBenkert
10-27-2009, 02:08 PM
I know nothing about power converters and such so I thought I would ask some pros around here.

My wife is taking our netbook (Acer Aspire One) overseas and she thought she heard the cable on those would fine in a 22ov environment and we just need an adapter to make it fit correctly. Is that correct? or do we need a power converter as well?

Thanks!

David

TotalSonic
10-27-2009, 03:15 PM
I know nothing about power converters and such so I thought I would ask some pros around here.

My wife is taking our netbook (Acer Aspire One) overseas and she thought she heard the cable on those would fine in a 22ov environment and we just need an adapter to make it fit correctly. Is that correct? or do we need a power converter as well?

Thanks!

David

You need an adaptor that is also a 220v - 110v step down transformer. Luckily since you don't need that many watts it should probably still be relatively portable. Make sure you look up the type of plug(s) used as there's a lot of different shapes for these. I went to Portugal and Spain on one tour only to find that I had bought the right transformer but the wrong plug adaptor for what was supposed to the line to power up my pedal board - so I ended up borrowing these from the venues (which luckily were all better prepared for this then I was).

Best regards,
Steve Berson

Wink0r
10-27-2009, 03:17 PM
My Acer supply lists input voltage from 100 to 240 volts. Check that yours reads the same. If it does you should be fine.

Ian Alexander
10-27-2009, 06:09 PM
My Acer supply lists input voltage from 100 to 240 volts. Check that yours reads the same. If it does you should be fine.
Same with my wife's ASUS laptop and my Norelco shaver. Just the adapter is all that's needed IF the input voltage range is as above.

Bill Park
10-28-2009, 07:49 AM

Thanks!

David

Depends upon the Acer power supply. You should check with Acer, or one of the Acer support forums. My assumption (always a bad thing, to assume...) would be that you just need a cord or adapter from the Edison end of the power cord to the European cord standard. (These are small and cheap, much like our three to two prong AC adapters.)

Heres the deal... most modern electronic gear is made to be sold worldwide, and almost none of it runs on the standard voltage anywhere. There is always either an internal or external power supply that converts the incoming power to the power needed to run the device.

In the case of a notebook, the power supply is external, and it is the standard little cable lump that we are used to seeing. Local power goes in one end and is converted to what the note book needs to see, which is what comes out of the other end.

Many converters (power supplies) will handle a wide range of voltages, but not all of them will. See if it is labeled on her Acer power supply.

Most devices travel well, save things like turntables and tape decks and other devices which derive their timing from the cycles of the incoming power. We have 60 cycles, much of Europe has 50 cycles, so our tape decks and turntables run slow, even though we might have corrected for the voltage. Usually a physical modification is required... changing the size of a pulley or wheel to change the speed at the platter or reels.

Bill