PDA

View Full Version : My new SAC/SAW system

glass50
10-28-2009, 04:26 PM
Why Post? I am so proud of how this system has come together and how well it works. My goal was to build a 24 channel system that is portable, serving both live sound and multi-track recording. Much thanks goes to Bob Lentini and Mike Horn (Austin TX) who guided me through the purchasing phase.

First picture shows front and back view plus outdoor operation and packed up. Yes, I do like SKB Standard racks. The back cover holds the computer display. The front cover holds printed manuals. The top is fitted with a “desktop” that holds the back cover with screen in viewing position. Both wireless (talkback/iPod & FOH remote) are held to back cover with Velcro. Wirelesses store inside rack without disconnecting wires. Bose speakers are monitors when not patched to mains. I built 3 panels that bring ADA8000 outputs around to front patch panel. Each device has stereo XLR and stereo TRS jack. Rack weighs 65#. Lower rack holds 2U rack PC and 2U drawer for Fujitsu LifeBook. Took some work to fit 20” PC in 19” deep rack. All PC wires unplug from PC and stow in back of mix rack. Rack weighs 60# including notebook.

Next picture shows my favorite SAC default setup. 24 inputs are followed by 2 returns and 2 outputs. Use Bob’s 5 band parametric for shaping all outputs including 4 monitor mixes on separate screens. The 5 band is all I have ever needed for fine tuning any mix. To me, it is better than 31 band 1/3 octave because of bandwidth control. New keystrokes “00” for FOH, “01” for M1, “02” for M2 is great. Stereo mains are on O-01, stereo subs are on 0-02. It is nice to assign only bass and kick to subs. I use O-03 to send to house system when needed. Aux 1 gathers up vocal reverb for R-01. Aux 2 gathers up delay/echo for R-02. The patch panel close-up shows my homemade labels. I use standard resistor color code to identify lines all the way to mics. (blk=0, brn=1, red=2, ect.)

My first real gig was Aug 28th, 2009. Have done 7 more gigs (two with recording) all in different venues, most with multiple bands. Couldn’t be happier. This is truly the system I have been waiting for.

ssrsound
10-28-2009, 04:48 PM
I built 3 panels that bring ADA8000 outputs around to front patch panel.

Are those just pass-through XLR jacks on those panels (m on front, and f on back)? Where did you find the parts? I've been wanting to build some like that too, but haven't found a cheap enough source.

Leadfoot
10-28-2009, 05:11 PM
Great idea with the monitor and the worktop area. I might have to borrow that :) Obviously you have some type of lightpipe bundle and connect and disconnect at each setup? That's what I do, I'm slightly concerned about how many times the plugging/unplugging will hold up with those little plastic connectors, both male and female ends. I found that the rack was too heavy for my purposes to keep the computer and ada8k's in the same rack also.
Are you using wireless for PFL too?
Good job!

mycorn
10-28-2009, 05:58 PM
that's badass dave

love how you got that monitor in there

i need to do something similar
[i forgot mine in the studio the other day]

go ahead and assign the toms to the subs too

you'l be glad you did

hope to see you again soon
mh

Leadfoot
10-28-2009, 06:05 PM
Are those just pass-through XLR jacks on those panels (m on front, and f on back)? Where did you find the parts? I've been wanting to build some like that too, but haven't found a cheap enough source.

You may already know about this, but there's a lot of great stuff here http://www.audiopile.net/

bcorkery
10-28-2009, 06:10 PM
Very impressive Dave. I've been looking for a rack mount case and thought I might have to go with a 4U. Did everything fit into the 2U OK? I have ATX guts waiting for a nice case. Where did you get yours?

Thanks for sharing this!
-Bill

Wam3
10-28-2009, 10:02 PM
Very cool ....

sjpaul
10-29-2009, 01:03 AM
That's a very similar setup to my SAC rig. I have the host PC + 3 ADA8000's, a power distro and a 1U sliding keyboard shelf all mounted in 1 x 10U plastic rack case. I also have the monitor mounted in the back panel same as yours (I admit this wasn't an original idea of mine, but why re-invent the wheel?) and a similar "desktop" type area on the top of the case that the back lid slides under and sits upright at a slight backward slope....

My Talkback wireless and wireless headphone packs are velcroed to the top of the PC base unit, the keyboard is velcroed into the rack shelf. I did have the router inside the box too, but have moved that to wherever it needs to be to get better coverage in the venue... As a result, everything lives inside this one box and sets up in a few minutes. I generally sit the SAC rack on top of an amp rack at side of stage, where I sort out the monitor mix before heading out front with the laptop.

Good job David....

glass50
10-29-2009, 10:40 AM
Did everything fit into the 2U OK? I have ATX guts waiting for a nice case. Where did you get yours?

I bought PC 2U rack mount case & PC from RackMountPro.com. It holds standard mother board. It uses a riser card so you have three pci slots with cards horizontal. Mine holds one RME HDSP9652 with daughter board.

This rack PC is 20" deep. So to fit into 19" deep SKB reversed handle flanges. This way both front and back of PC extended into SKB covers.

I started with everything in one 8U case but it weighed 120#, to much for me by myself. Which lead to PC and Notebook drawer in 4U rack. Mix rack is now 65# and PC rack is 60#.

glass50
10-29-2009, 10:56 AM
The three 1U front panels and parts were purchased from Full Compass (ask for Nate Collier for best prices). The panel connectors are Nuetrick XLR male box mount with solder tabs. The wire is 24" of Gepco 8 pair audio snake pulled out of jacket. It is three wire with foil sheild properly color coded. The the other end is Nuetrick XLR female cable mount, TRS panel mount conectors are optional. They are for stereo headsets when performers are dubbing add on tracks. The ADA8000 outputs drive my Sony headsets quite well without any more push.

glass50
10-29-2009, 11:10 AM
that's badass dave hope to see you again soon
mh
Look forward to seeing you. BTW Walt is scheduled with Bobby Duncan, and Jason Eady Dec 13th upstairs at White Elephant. Don't know if you are on for this gig. Probably will just need the installed 8ch with 3 voc and 3 gui.

glass50
10-29-2009, 11:22 AM
I'm slightly concerned about how many times the plugging/unplugging will hold up with those little plastic connectors, both male and female ends. I found that the rack was too heavy for my purposes to keep the computer and ada8k's in the same rack also.
Are you using wireless for PFL too?

I think they hold up well since all they do is hold light pipe up against a sensor. I have bundled my three pair with tape and marked flat spot with solid silver dot or silver circle for to locate proper socket. I have learned that loose connection (1/2 way) adds many clicks to audio out.

Have considered wireless PFL. What are you using? Sony makes a good wireless stereo headset but the recharge/transmitter is pretty bulky. In Ear Monitor rig is a little pricey for me.

bcorkery
10-29-2009, 12:01 PM
Did everything fit into the 2U OK? I have ATX guts waiting for a nice case. Where did you get yours?

I bought PC 2U rack mount case & PC from RackMountPro.com. It holds standard mother board. It uses a riser card so you have three pci slots with cards horizontal. Mine holds one RME HDSP9652 with daughter board.

This rack PC is 20" deep. So to fit into 19" deep SKB reversed handle flanges. This way both front and back of PC extended into SKB covers.

I started with everything in one 8U case but it weighed 120#, to much for me by myself. Which lead to PC and Notebook drawer in 4U rack. Mix rack is now 65# and PC rack is 60#.Thanks David - I'm building for a church folk group so it's not going to be as intense as yours maybe a Multiface and 1 ADA8000.

sstillwell
10-29-2009, 01:17 PM
If you're running the equivalent of "subs on an aux", why not use an extra monitor mix tapped post-everything for your subs? Reason I say that is that you may not want the sub mix to always exactly match the mains mix...you may want the kick 3 dB hotter in the sub mix than the bass guitar or something similar.

Alternately, you could truly just use one of the aux sends like you would on a physical console, if that makes it faster to grab for sub level on a channel.

NICE rig, though...I have GOT to get mine built soon. I really like my Mix Wizard, but if I could get 24 or 32 channels in the same pack space...total no-brainer.

Scott

Brent Evans
10-29-2009, 01:37 PM
If you're running the equivalent of "subs on an aux", why not use an extra monitor mix tapped post-everything for your subs? Reason I say that is that you may not want the sub mix to always exactly match the mains mix...you may want the kick 3 dB hotter in the sub mix than the bass guitar or something similar.

There's no need for an extra monitor mix, use the sub out on the x/y pan section to route the subs and you'll have volume control.

sstillwell
10-30-2009, 09:28 PM
Nice! I didn't even think of that!!!

Scott

Bob L
10-31-2009, 06:37 AM
You can also just use an aux send/return for the subs...

Engaging the XY-Pan switch to use the Sub send adds quite a bit of extra cpu load by engaging the 10 extra busses into the loop.

Bob L

Brent Evans
10-31-2009, 10:20 AM
You can also just use an aux send/return for the subs...

Engaging the XY-Pan switch to use the Sub send adds quite a bit of extra cpu load by engaging the 10 extra busses into the loop.

Bob L

Ah. Nice to know.