PDA

View Full Version : Toshiba Laptop

Cary B. Cornett
11-03-2009, 04:37 AM
I am tinkering a bit with a Toshiba Satellite A135-S7406 laptop, and have several questions (there will be more than one thread).

First of all, is this one of the models that has been found to be "good for SawStudio"? Any experiences/hints/warnings about it?

Second, this was a late enough model that it shipped with Vista. I had my son "downgrade" it to XP sp3 for me, but neither of us has been able to find all the drivers (found some, but not all). Is there a recommended way of finding/getting the missing drivers short of a laborious Google search (which I have already tried more than once)?

Ian Alexander
11-03-2009, 07:33 AM
Finding drivers has been an issue for some of the newer hardware. In some cases, there may not be drivers for XP. Hope that's not the case for you.

DaveS
11-03-2009, 09:09 AM
XP drivers are getting harder to find for the newer computers...been having a rough time with my MSI GT725 but I think it's got enough of them now.

You might want to look and see if there are similar Toshiba laptops that are coming with XP (as a downgrade) - they might have suitable drivers available. You could also try contacting Toshiba. It helps to know what chipset they are using. If it's an Intel chipset - try the Intel site.. Same with the video drivers, etc.

I would also look on the various laptop forums on the web. I've found this forum to be one of the best that I've found on the web:
http://forum.notebookreview.com

Here is a link to the Toshiba forum:
http://forum.notebookreview.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9

Hope this helps!

Scott P
11-03-2009, 09:46 AM
Cary,

I have an older Satellite A105-S4344 that is "Vista compatible" that I bought as Vista was coming out. Mine is loaded with XP and I have the original disks that came with the machine.

The o/s and drivers are all on the same disc, but I might be able to peel the drivers off if you think they would help.

The reason I have this particular laptop was because I purchased a different Satellite (a Vista machine) with the intention of wiping it and installing XP, but like you, was unable to find drivers. I took it back and was fortunate enough to find an XP version.

Scott

Cary B. Cornett
11-03-2009, 12:33 PM
I have decided to give a freeware utility called "DriverMax" a try. If that fails, I may take up that "peeled off drivers" offer... :)