PDA

View Full Version : Auto Link AUX Parameter

Makar
11-09-2009, 06:17 AM
Dear Bob,
It's often very useful to connect tracks to one group channel. In this case it's very difficult to control channel's AUX as you have to ajust many
faders instead of one.
It would be ideal if group Output channels had their own AUX SEND faders. But you said it's impossible because of the program's buffer structure.
I propose to add the automatic function which finds the tracks connected to the certain group channel and links their AUX controllers.
For example tracks 01-10 are connected to the output 02.
If I move the fader AUX1 with a mouse it works as usual.
If I move the fader AUX1 with a mouse and holding for example SHIFT, all faders AUX1 in channels 01-10 move simultaneously.
The same with In, Pst Fader, Pst FX buttons and AUX PAN controller.
If the track is assigned to some outputs this function for it does not work.
This function can be called "Auto Link AUX Parameter" and it should be switchable
:-)

Bob L
11-09-2009, 09:46 AM
You can link all controls on any chan combiunation by using the temp group feature (select the chan by clicking on the chan number at the top of the mixer views turning them black)... or setting up preset groups which allow you to instantly select complex chan combinations... or by using the Latch features... once a group is selected and linked, you can override the link on any one chan by using the Alt-Key when you adjust its control.

Lots more details in the helpfile... have fun reading. :)

Bob L

Makar
11-10-2009, 04:53 AM
Dear Bob, if you mean that I haven't read the manual please believe that I've read it.
I'm writing about completely different thing.
I'm talking about the automatic function which can group tracks according to their output channels.
1. It should work automatically. If I use 8 output channels, I should automatically get 8 groups of linked input channels. Now I need to create them myself and edit every time I change the number of channels in the group. Why should I do this when it can be achieved automatically?
2. Name of the group should be the same with tha name of corresponding output.
3. All groups should work simultaneously! Now I have to switch between the groups every time.
4. If the channel is connected to more than 1 output this function doesn't work for it.
5. Control should be with reversed logic. Without additional key as usual, adjusting the controller for the whole group is with additional key.

As a result you won't have to care about the settings of the groups and switching between them. It'll be fantastically convenient.

Please check the sketch. :-)

http://slil.ru/28185005/47fe8c95.4af9f908/Auto_Group.bmp

Bud Johnson
11-10-2009, 05:53 AM
Dear Bob, if you mean that I haven't read the manual please believe that I've read it.
I'm writing about completely different thing.
I'm talking about the automatic function which can group tracks according to their output channels.
1. It should work automatically. If I use 8 output channels, I should automatically get 8 groups of linked input channels. Now I need to create them myself and edit every time I change the number of channels in the group. Why should I do this when it can be achieved automatically?
2. Name of the group should be the same with tha name of corresponding output.
3. All groups should work simultaneously! Now I have to switch between the groups every time.
4. If the channel is connected to more than 1 output this function doesn't work for it.
5. Control should be with reversed logic. Without additional key as usual, adjusting the controller for the whole group is with additional key.

As a result you won't have to care about the settings of the groups and switching between them. It'll be fantastically convenient.

Please check the sketch. :-)

http://slil.ru/28185005/47fe8c95.4af9f908/Auto_Group.bmp

Maybe I misunderstand your meaning, but if I read you correctly, all the functionality your asking for presently exists, though you do have to set up the group and edit it if you add tracks, or change an individual tracks output. If all your looking for is the auto-magical grouping based on bus output....fine....but I personally would rather see Bob invest his precious efforts into functionality that doesn't presently exist. After that he can add seat warmers and cup holders for all I care!:D

Bob L
11-10-2009, 06:55 AM
Two ways to create automatically linked groups already... unless I am mis-understanding you.

1) just assign input chans to master outs as normal, then also assign them to an output set as a group latch... so set a chan to 1 and 9... etc... now out 9 is a master fader, mute and solo for all those input chans... all the time...

2) Select any chan number (blacken it) and then create a latch by right-clicking any mixer titlebar... once part of a named latch group, those chans are always grouped and all controls will work together on all those chans... use the alt-key to adjust one chan control and override the group latch... once latched, no need to select the chans again to group the controls.

Bob L

Makar
11-10-2009, 07:06 AM
Dear Bud

As for me, I combine all tracks which require the same settings to one
Out Bus. It makes easier to set the level and EQ. I perfer to do it always as
it helps to save the CPU power by using only 1 "hard" effect on a Out Bus track instead of using it on 4 or 5 tracks individually.
But this doesn't work with gates, compressor and AUXes.
In short, tracks which in Link Group are always assigned to a separate Out Bus.
That is why I have thought about Auto Group
It'll be convinient for me and for people who work like I do and will
help not to do hundreds of useless movements.
If you work in a different way this function can seem to you strange.

Makar
11-10-2009, 01:50 PM
"2) Select any chan number (blacken it) and then create a latch by right-clicking any mixer titlebar... once part of a named latch group, those chans are always grouped and all controls will work together on all those chans... use the alt-key to adjust one chan control and override the group latch... once latched, no need to select the chans again to group the controls..."

Yes, I know this. But my point was about doing nothing of this. :-)
I've already created a Link Group by setting input channnels on Sub Out. Besides the point is in not switching the groups by one, they are always active. It's just that now they are switched off by pressing Alt but should be switched on by pressing Alt.

Excluding those rare cases when one channel is assigned to two or more outputs or one channel belongs to different groups. But this is rarely needed. For this case the Auto Group function may be disabled.

Bob L
11-10-2009, 06:04 PM
Creating latches the way I suggested are always ON and there is nothing you need to do once the latch is created in order to use the ganged controls.

The group latches you are using by assigning the chans to the out group masters is designed for quick fader/mute/solo latching only.

Bob L

Naturally Digital
11-10-2009, 07:40 PM
Creating latches the way I suggested are always ON and there is nothing you need to do once the latch is created in order to use the ganged controls.Bob, I could be very confused here but isn't that a feature you've added to SAC but hasn't made it into SAW yet? I tried it and it seems to work the way it always has. (create a group, select that group, operate all controls of that group in tandem etc.) Once the group is cleared (right-click on channel labels at top of strip), the latches no longer remain.

Am I missing something? :confused:

Bob L
11-10-2009, 07:46 PM
Ooops... you are correct... these options are part of the SAC interface... of course these kinds of options make sense for a live mixing environment...

I never felt these kinds of things were that important in an editing and recording environment that uses automation the way SAWStudio does.

Bob L

Naturally Digital
11-10-2009, 07:49 PM
Ooops... you are correct... these options are part of the SAC interface... of course these kinds of options make sense for a live mixing environment...Understandable, I knew it was only a matter of time before this started happening. :)

I never felt these kinds of things were that important in an editing and recording environment that uses automation the way SAWStudio does.Well, for the record, I won't be disappointed if someday that feature makes it's way into SAW. ;)

Bob L
11-10-2009, 07:52 PM
It could happen... although the two engines are now quite different internally... I'm sure some of the features will bleed over into the SAWStudio interface as time passes.

Bob L