PDA

View Full Version : How's the Speaker Management Module coming?

dbarrow
11-09-2009, 05:14 PM
I keep imagining how cool it will be to be using it. I have had a couple of shows in rooms with pesky EQ problems that would have benefited from being able to precisely control the main EQ from remote. Even the regular channel EQ on the main output buss would have been a Godsend.

With my new netbook, I can actually walk around right in the middle of where the audience is and make precise mix adjustments. Adding main EQ to that capability would probably make me spontaneously levitate...

Bob L
11-09-2009, 06:17 PM
The next update will include full remote control of my native plugs.

Bob L

905shmick
11-09-2009, 06:53 PM
The next update will include full remote control of my native plugs.

Bob L

Very nice!

Brent Evans
11-09-2009, 06:57 PM
That's a very carefully worded reply. Will remote access of other plugs be disallowed completely, or allowed subject to compatibility, or other factors?

AudioAstronomer
11-09-2009, 07:56 PM
Only RML plugins, or all native plugins?

Bob L
11-09-2009, 08:17 PM
I had to update the native API to handle the network functions... so the plugs have to be re-written to add this new code. Other native plugs will have to be updated by the manufacturers to support the SAC remote network functions.

I would hope that Pieter may update a few of his... but there is probably no hope for the Anwida plugs.

There is no way for me to update VST plugs... they would have to be turned native... I may be able to create a work-around method for VST and DX plugs... we'll see... but first I want to get the new version out and operating correctly with my plugs.

Bob L

Brent Evans
11-09-2009, 09:08 PM
I can appreciate the difficulty of the task. If only there were a way to put a wrapper around them, or something like that, anyway.

Thanks for the detailed answer! For now, I like the idea (I think it was George's) to create an F-key to shrink SAC to a small area (like a title bar) and keep a VNC session active underneath.

Brent Evans
11-12-2009, 04:10 PM
Putting this here rather than a new thread, since it sort of ties in....

Bob, since you're doing a media player plug, would you consider releasing (at some point down the road) a paid single track recording plugin kind of along the lines of TapeIt, but in your native format? It's not mission critical, but it might provide a nice gap-filler between SAW and whatever other methods we might use (like TapeIt). It's no substitute for full ultitrack, but sometimes a stereo reference mix is all that's needed (recording a speaker, or "just for review" purposes). I don't question the great fit of SAW to the task of any recording, but sometimes multitrack just isn't necessary, and a remotable plugin would do the trick quite nicely.

Thanks for all you do!

gdougherty
11-12-2009, 04:19 PM

Bob, since you're doing a media player plug, would you consider releasing (at some point down the road) a paid single track recording plugin kind of along the lines of TapeIt, but in your native format? It's not mission critical, but it might provide a nice gap-filler between SAW and whatever other methods we might use (like TapeIt). It's no substitute for full ultitrack, but sometimes a stereo reference mix is all that's needed (recording a speaker, or "just for review" purposes). I don't question the great fit of SAW to the task of any recording, but sometimes multitrack just isn't necessary, and a remotable plugin would do the trick quite nicely.

Thanks for all you do!

Brent, what's not working for you with the TapeIt plugin? The input and output of TapeIt should be identical and the processor load is really minimal. Not seeing any major advantage to a native format version besides a fractional reduction in CPU use.

905shmick
11-12-2009, 04:31 PM
Brent, what's not working for you with the TapeIt plugin? The input and output of TapeIt should be identical and the processor load is really minimal. Not seeing any major advantage to a native format version besides a fractional reduction in CPU use.

I think he wants a SAC/SAW native version so it can be remotely controlled in the near future.

Naturally Digital
11-12-2009, 04:48 PM
would you consider releasing (at some point down the road) a paid single track recording plugin kind of along the lines of TapeIt, but in your native format? Sidenote: It might also be nice to one day have the ability to record from the SAC outputs through the SAC/SAWStudio link.

Brent Evans
11-12-2009, 05:05 PM
I think he wants a SAC/SAW native version so it can be remotely controlled in the near future.

Bingo.

905shmick
11-12-2009, 09:52 PM
Sidenote: It might also be nice to one day have the ability to record from the SAC outputs through the SAC/SAWStudio link.

Agreed.

In the mean time, if your card has S/PDIF or AES in/outs, you could loopback a spare output channel into a spare input channel and record that with SAW.

gdougherty
11-12-2009, 09:53 PM
Ah, that make sense. That was one I figured was easy enough to handle over VNC still.

dbarrow
11-12-2009, 10:39 PM

Thanks for all you do!

It could be identical to TapeIt, but remotable (start/stop/filename/bit depth, etc.)

Phil
11-14-2009, 12:07 PM
I just setup and used the EQ plugs for basic speaker processing. Very nice. :D Having HP and LP on the sub really added more life to the aging speakers. Still have to EQ mains once grills are built. I'll post pic as the church sound system build progresses.

gdougherty
11-14-2009, 02:23 PM
I just setup and used the EQ plugs for basic speaker processing. Very nice. :D Having HP and LP on the sub really added more life to the aging speakers. Still have to EQ mains once grills are built. I'll post pic as the church sound system build progresses.

Phil, have you checked out the Dual Linkwitz-Riley filter plugin from Christian Budde? It's a great crossover plugin he built just for the SAC community. Very low CPU usage on it, a must have IMO if you're doing speaker processing in SAC.