PDA

View Full Version : Can I save / update a Mix session from Remote

Jeff Scott
11-10-2009, 05:39 PM
Can I save / update a Mix session from the SAC Remote laptop?

Richard Rupert
11-10-2009, 06:11 PM
I answered this in the other thread... and the answer is: yes, they can.

Haysus
11-10-2009, 07:14 PM
My question is, being a noob, is all around bang for buck Tight VNC vs. SAC remote? Admittedly not live yet I see advantages to VNC until the next big update. Yes,no, stupid noob go away? I am ready for it.

Brent Evans
11-10-2009, 07:46 PM
No reason not to use both, there's no buck involved. Remote comes with SAC, and VNC is free. Use Remote until you need to adjust a plugin, set up an F-key to shrink SAC to a title bar, keep VNC open beneath, make your adjustment, click back to SAC and F-key back to another view. Or just switch windows. :)

VNC works OK for plugs, but it won't show meters well, and the screen resolution and quality is poor. It freezes more often than remote, it's not as responsive, and while I have had to run a few minutes of a session through VNC (before we figured out how to avoid the network dropping issue that seems random at best) I wouldn't want to run like that all the time. See it as a backup tool to do what SAC Remote can't.

Bob L
11-10-2009, 07:56 PM
My design goals have been to keep the remotes all separate from each other... so that each remote operator can use his own views and screen layouts... can be looking at totally different screens and mixers at the same time.

This, of course, can not be done with the VNC type remote administrator design concepts, because that concept relies on copying the host screen... therefore every remote would be forced to look at the same view and mixer at the same time.... this is where the SAC remote design is drastically different.... and much more powerful, in my opinion, and why I am devoting so much focus on the code to make it happen :)

Bob L

Trackzilla
11-11-2009, 12:22 AM
Nutshell, currently, run both (I'm a fan of tightVNC personally).
Use SACRemote for everything it does...which it does in a vastly superior manner to anything VNC can accomplish.
Use your preference of VNC build for the things that SACRemote doesn't do yet that you need for your particular modus operandi.
Season to taste :cool: