PDA

View Full Version : MWS can't hear my midi

loosejaw
11-10-2009, 10:51 PM
i don't know what i am doing wrong, i can't hear the midi, got it synced, seems to record something, but can't hear it even though its showinh levels on the midi track...any suggestion?

Naturally Digital
11-10-2009, 11:16 PM
i don't know what i am doing wrong, i can't hear the midi, got it synced, seems to record something, but can't hear it even though its showinh levels on the midi track...any suggestion?which module/keyboard are you using?

loosejaw
11-10-2009, 11:20 PM
yamaha rs7000 into an m-audio usb connector

Naturally Digital
11-10-2009, 11:48 PM
Did you select a patch in the Patch Library?

Bob L
11-10-2009, 11:52 PM
You must make sure to set the correct midi port and chan on the MWS track.

You must also have the midi device assigned correctly in the MWS setup options.

Bob L

loosejaw
11-11-2009, 12:39 AM
i did all those things, even recorded something that is showing signals when i play it but no sound

Naturally Digital
11-11-2009, 01:02 AM
i did all those things, even recorded something that is showing signals when i play it but no soundAre you seeing signals on the MAudio box? What about the receive/activity indicator on the rs7000 (assuming there is one)?

loosejaw
11-11-2009, 01:05 AM
i mean basically i have set it all up to the point i am recording something, i see the levels on record and playback, i am also able to hear my audio tracks in the session, and am also able to mute them in MWS trying just to here the midi, but nothing, i see the levels bouncing on the track but no sound...its weird, i am newbie when it comes to saw or midi...just strange, picked ports assigned patches, everything and no midi sound, but again i do have audio on playback if i want.

loosejaw
11-11-2009, 01:06 AM
yup signals on the rs7000 going out, and i see the ciorresponding keys moving in MWS

loosejaw
11-11-2009, 01:07 AM
i meant to say i am not a total newbie

loosejaw
11-11-2009, 01:17 AM
in my midi device setup i have chosen "mws virtual port out 01" , and on the in i have "in usb mid1x1" which is my m-audio midi from my rs7000

then on the track i selected port 1, assigned the track, chose a patch and was able to record something, saw signals, but was not able to hear during recording or playback but see signal on the track during recording and playback.....but audio was working as i can hear the audio tracks in sawstudio, just being thourough, i know how hard it can be to talk someone through these types of problems...thanks for your help by the way

Naturally Digital
11-11-2009, 01:31 AM
in my midi device setup i have chosen "mws virtual port out 01" , and on the in i have "in usb mid1x1" which is my m-audio midi from my rs7000i'm having a bit of a hard time understanding if you are trying to fire a VSTi (inside SAWStudio) or send your recorded midi track out to the rs7000.

If you are trying to get the sounds on the rs7000 then you need to set your midi out device to the "out usb mid1x1".

The virtual port is for sending midi over to SAWStudio (in software) so you can assign the midi signals to VST instruments.

loosejaw
11-11-2009, 01:37 AM
i'm having a bit of a hard time understanding if you are trying to fire a VSTi (inside SAWStudio) or send your recorded midi track out to the rs7000.

If you are trying to get the sounds on the rs7000 then you need to set your midi out device to the "out usb mid1x1". The virtual port is for sending midi over to SAWStudio (in software) so you can assign the midi signals to VST instruments.

right now i am just using the RS7000 as a trigger trying to simply record and playback some of the internal sounds in MWS...which i seem to be able to accomplish, but just dont hear anything/... i am probably just doing something dumb, but for the life of me...

Naturally Digital
11-11-2009, 01:55 AM
right now i am just using the RS7000 as a trigger trying to simply record and playback some of the internal sounds in MWS...which i seem to be able to accomplish, but just dont hear anything/... i am probably just doing something dumb, but for the life of me...OK. MWS has no sounds built-in. Perhaps that's the problem. It only records and plays back midi data, locked to the timeline in SAWStudio. To actually hear something when you play midi from MWS, you either have to insert a virtual instrument on a track in SAWStudio and trigger it from one of the MWS virtual midi ports, or connect your midi out to a sound module.

John Ludlow
11-11-2009, 07:29 AM
I have at least a somewhat similar situation working with the Kontakt VST. I bring it up on a track, set it up, and record. Levels work and the track is recorded. But - before I commit to keeping the track, I'd like to listen to it. So, while the VST is still 'plugged-in' I move the position pointer back to zero and right-click. Every other track plays back except the one I just recorded. The only way I can listen to that is by removing the Kontakt VST from the track. Then it plays. It isn't a huge problem, but it is annoying.

DavidandMary
11-11-2009, 07:56 AM
The way around that John is to "Process/MixDown" and choose "BuildMix To Current HotTrack". That way you can leave Kontakt patched and send its data to other tracks in the MT that are labeled as you want them. For example, have Kontakt on track one. Then, label track two through five as Violin, Viola, Cello and Double Bass (or whatever). Select the area in the MT that you want to record. Click on the track whose name corresponds with your MIDI recording and get ready to process the mix. Now, when you process the mix, it can be done faster than real time and the audio is neatly labeled the name you gave that track. You can then disable that MWS MIDI track, leave the Kontakt patched and hear what you did as it plays back in the SAWStudio Multitrack. I like working this way. YMMV...:)

Bob L
11-11-2009, 10:25 AM
When a VSTi synth is patched in... it does not pass sound thru... it creates its own sound... so... if you live record the signal onto the same track... you will not hear the playback until the plugin is removed... or disabled... that is why the disable feature exists in the VST Blue Pyramid options icon.

Or... better yet... patch the VSTi Synth into its own track, and record the signal on another track... you can arm any track and set the input source to the mixer chan the vst is patched into... this way, you can stack multiple takes on different tracks and leave the vst plug alone while playing them all back.

Bob L

loosejaw
11-11-2009, 04:32 PM
Thanks dave and all for your time... i got this figured out and it seems to be working just fine....thanks again.

Tery

John Ludlow
11-11-2009, 08:01 PM
Thanks David and Bob. That sounds much more workable than the way that I've been doing it.

UpTilDawn
11-11-2009, 08:25 PM
Thanks dave and all for your time... i got this figured out and it seems to be working just fine....thanks again.

Tery

Would you mind telling us what you found and fixed to get this working...... for those of us who are interested, but midi-impared?:o:rolleyes:

DanT