PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use Avanquest Communication Manager?

dbarrow
11-19-2009, 12:21 PM
NOD32 virus scanner just shut it down and said it was a version of the Win32/Genetik trojan. This was after a recent upgrade of my antivirus software, NOD32.

gdougherty
11-19-2009, 04:05 PM
NOD32 virus scanner just shut it down and said it was a version of the Win32/Genetik trojan. This was after a recent upgrade of my antivirus software, NOD32.

I'd guess it's most likely a false positive. Then again...

Bob L
11-19-2009, 09:02 PM
I use the free one on all my remotes... it seems to work fine... make sure you disable the Windows Zero Configuration service.

Bob L

dbarrow
11-19-2009, 09:20 PM
I use the free one on all my remotes... it seems to work fine... make sure you disable the Windows Zero Configuration service.

Bob LIt worked fine for me, too, but my antivirus deleted it and several of its files, saying it was a variant of the Win32/Genetik trojan. I was unable to reinstall it and get it to work.

Bob L
11-20-2009, 02:58 AM
Perhaps its time to get rid of the virus software. :)

Bob L

dbarrow
11-20-2009, 06:54 AM
Perhaps its time to get rid of the virus software. :)

Bob LIt has saved me a couple of times. I have multiple profiles for my notebook (that I use for remote). I can boot it up with next to nothing else running. I can actually run SAC on it as a host and it works great. Something happened with Avanquest. I'm not sure what. I went back to using WiFi Hopper, which is what I used without any issues before. I use my notebook for all kinds of other activities, so I need AV, Zonealarm, etc. My netbook (secondary remote) has almost nothing but SACRemote on it.

gdougherty
11-21-2009, 10:54 AM
NOD32 is, IMO, about the best out there. Should be able to add an exclusion for the Avanquest software. May also want to figure out how to report the issue to ESET and have them double-check on the false positive side. Wipe the folder, delete the major registry entries and give a reinstall a shot.

Angie
11-21-2009, 03:33 PM
NOD32 is, IMO, about the best out there.

Just had to agree with that statement.