PDA

View Full Version : Demo limitation?

JeffB
11-21-2009, 02:48 PM
Just trying out the demo of Sawstudio Basic and whilst playing back a multitrack project only one processor seems to be utilised. Is this normal or a demo limitation? Cheers.

DominicPerry
11-21-2009, 03:05 PM
It may be that the code to use two processors is only in Lite and Full. I'm sure Bob will confirm. But in any case, one processor is enough for everything that SAW can do, the code is so efficient - the only time you might need more power is if you have a lot of VST plugins or VSTi's.
I can play 72 tracks in SAW on my Asus Eee with no trouble. CPU power is rarely a limiting factor with SAW. You could always download the Lite or Full demo and see if you get the same thing. - When SAW does use more than one CPU, AFAIK the audio engine still runs on a single CPU (in order to get low latency) and the second CPU does duties for graphics and the like. I challenge you to run out of steam with it!

Dominic

Bob L
11-21-2009, 08:33 PM
Basic does not have the multi-processor code hooks... only Lite and Full... but Basic uses so few resources... it does not need it.

Bob L

Allen
11-22-2009, 06:39 AM
Bob,
Does that mean SSL would be better for running VSTi's than my Basic? Could be a great reason for an upgrade. :)

Allen

Bob L
11-22-2009, 10:46 AM
As much as I'd like to see you upgrade... my answer is probably no... not really... search on my previous dual cpu threads and perhaps you will understand why.

Best you can do is to try the Lite demo and see if there is some improvement... then decide if you want to upgrade.

Bob L

Allen
11-22-2009, 11:16 AM
Will do and thanks for the honesty.

Allen

JeffB
11-22-2009, 01:45 PM
Thanks for the replies folks.

Thanks for the software Bob!:) I'm just scratching the surface of what SS can do and I'm already well impressed!