PDA

View Full Version : OT: Time Compression: A New Dawn

Dave Labrecque
11-22-2009, 05:19 PM
I just tried Melodyne for the first time for time compression. All I can say is... OMIGOD. I can't believe how good it sounds.

I am a happy camper. This is going to save so much time for VO length tweaking.

Why did I wait?

And why haven't I heard its praises sung before around here? :confused:

Or have I?

TotalSonic
11-22-2009, 06:12 PM
I just tried Melodyne for the first time for time compression. All I can say is... OMIGOD. I can't believe how good it sounds.

I am a happy camper. This is going to save so much time for VO length tweaking.

Why did I wait?

And why haven't I heard its praises sung before around here? :confused:

Or have I?

Lots of folks have sung the praises of Melodyne's algorithms here - it's just that it's use as a VST plugin inside of SAW sometimes has been clumsy in the past. I haven't jumped on board yet, but been contemplating getting it.

From my understanding on the just released version the sound of the time stretching algorithm has been slightly improved - can anyone confirm that? How is DNA working out for folks? And is Melodyne working ok as a VST hosted in SAW now - or is still best to use it in stand alone mode?

Dave - curious as to what you were using for time compression before. Sonoris, Sony, Pitchworks?

Best regards,
Steve Berson

MMP
11-22-2009, 07:11 PM
The most stable Melodyne for within SAW has been Melodyne Plugin.

The link to Melodyne Studio & the new Melodyne Editor with DNA have both been unstable in SAW for me.

Regards,

MM

Dave Labrecque
11-22-2009, 07:54 PM
Lots of folks have sung the praises of Melodyne's algorithms here - it's just that it's use as a VST plugin inside of SAW sometimes has been clumsy in the past. I haven't jumped on board yet, but been contemplating getting it.

From my understanding on the just released version the sound of the time stretching algorithm has been slightly improved - can anyone confirm that? How is DNA working out for folks? And is Melodyne working ok as a VST hosted in SAW now - or is still best to use it in stand alone mode?

Dave - curious as to what you were using for time compression before. Sonoris, Sony, Pitchworks?

Best regards,
Steve Berson

I had been using Sony, Pitchworks and Sonoris. But they all seemed to exhibit artifacts. I think I liked Pitchworks best for it's algo and Sonoris PitchTime best for it's interface and native-osity/automatability.

But using the new stand-alone version of Melodyne Editor, I'm getting results that have seemed impossible till now. I don't think I'm hearing any artifacts, and if I am, they're so very subtle. Lots more testing to do, of course.

I also had to raise my buffers to 2048 using ASIO, which was a surprise. (I was getting an occasional buffer warning and a little tick sound near the start of the output file otherwise.) Of course, I'm still on a P4. :o