PDA

View Full Version : Something to be thankful for

Stashu
11-25-2009, 08:02 AM
http://blog.mixonline.com/mixblog/2009/11/20/avid-shuts-out-legacy-hardware-with-pro-tools-803/

Bob, Thanks for the great software, and the great support!
... and here are my sincerest wishes that you and yours enjoy this Holiday Season to the fullest!:)

CurtZHP
11-25-2009, 08:32 AM
A solid, money-saving Plan B comes from Magma, the expansion solution company. By purchasing the Magma PE6R4 expansion chassis (http://www.magma.com/products/pci/PE6R4/index.html) ($2199),

My favorite line in the article. Um, how is spending over two large going to save me money? These clowns should work for the governement!

Thanks, Bob, for making a truly stable and FANTASTIC sounding product that will work on whatever hardware I can afford. I raise my glass in your general direction!

DominicPerry
11-25-2009, 08:47 AM
In fairness, aren't these really quite old? The 888 has been around for absolutely ages.
In the same way as XP is no longer supported after 2014 and isn't supported on many new laptops at all (as pointed out by Craig) at some point things have to move on.

Not to say I'm not happy with the ability to use my old 9636/52 with SAW and SAC, thanks to RME and RML.:)

Dominic

soundtrack2life
11-25-2009, 01:33 PM
In fairness, aren't these really quite old? The 888 has been around for absolutely ages.
In the same way as XP is no longer supported after 2014 and isn't supported on many new laptops at all (as pointed out by Craig) at some point things have to move on.

Not to say I'm not happy with the ability to use my old 9636/52 with SAW and SAC, thanks to RME and RML.:)

Dominic

Dominic well put. FWIW in order to move forward you cant expect any company to support old hardware! Plus in all fairness the Digi interfaces offer more than just I/O.
Joe

John Ludlow
11-25-2009, 03:46 PM
My favorite part is where they basically say, 'Well, you could get by with only 4 cores - but 8 will perform better'. Where is all that processing power going anyway?

905shmick
11-25-2009, 04:25 PM
I think its 4 cores for plugin graphics, 3 for plugin processing and 1 for the rest :)

Iain Westland
11-25-2009, 04:29 PM
its based on an article that was superseded on the duc site

http://duc.digidesign.com/showthread.php?t=254166

iain

Mark Stebbeds
11-27-2009, 07:43 PM
This is about Apple having discontinued the manufacturer of computers with Motorola processors, as well as computers with PCI cards, about 4-ish years ago.

Digi will continue to support the v8.0 software for years to come, they just will not have any more feature upgrades that will run on a pre-Intel Mac. Many folks are still several updates behind because certain features are not important to them.

This is for the HD systems, which I am well aware of since I own one of these "old clunker" dual 2.5gHz Mac G5s that gives me well over 140 tracks (that's the most I've tried at once, but spec'd out to 196 or more), without breaking a sweat on either the HD processing cards, and for all intents and purposes, "0" percent on the CPU. (well, maybe a wimper)

So as a victim, I am not concerned, and figure I have a couple of years before I need to worry about buying an Intel Mac, or new hardware. I can't even imagine a forthcoming feature that I "must have", as powerful as the current software is, especially since 8.0 was so major.

But if you want to compare native systems to native systems, you need to look at LE which is not effected by this hardware issue other than the original MBox 1, and still starts at around $300 for two channels of NEW MBox hardware, 48 mono or stereo tracks (expandable to 128 mono), and bunches of virtual instruments and plug-ins, and is compatible with the universe. And it will run on Windows or Mac OS.

Mark

EDIT: I just read Iian's link and it appears, that due to popular demand, Digi has reconsidered and will continue to support older TDM Mix systems with PT sofware updates, although there is no guarantee for how long. That hardware is something like 12 years old, and is referred to as "legacy" hardware on my connectors.

John Ludlow
11-27-2009, 09:16 PM
A little OT - but still Thankful.

I was driving out for a late breakfast yesterday, stopped at a light by the Interstate off/on ramp. The off ramp is on my left, the on ramp is on the right. The light turns green, I kinda casually look briefly to the left and the right and there's nobody there. I put it in gear and begin to accelerate into the intersection - when I see a fast blur out to the very far left. By the time I've moved my eyes it's already headed into the intersection. I jammed on the brakes - but not soon enough to avoid this torpedo trying (and failing) to run this red light before I can get into the intersection. He's going really fast.

CRASH! he rams into my front left wheel, causing my, previously stopped, car to do a 180 and get shoved over two lanes to the right.

My car is totalled. The battery was dangling by it's wires out over what was left of the front left of the car - which had been pushed way over to the right side. The radiator was way over there and it's contents were pouring out into the street like green blood. But, I seem to have escaped with a little stiffness and some sort of a bad bruise on my left shoulder where it ran into... something: the window or that column between the front and back drivers-side windows. That, plus I notice a peculiar pain in my left shoulder when I try to use it to get out of a chair. But - that seems to be it.

Another 4 feet further out into the intersection and I'd have been hospitalized or dead. He was really moving. All I can figure is that he got off at the wrong exit, saw that light turn yellow and floored it - and then when it turned red he tried to muscle through to the other side. There's no tire marks on the street at all so he didn't slam on his brakes.

So - now I probably have to buy a new car. They'll give me something for my wreck, but I'm sure I'll have to pony up a few thousand. And, as of today I still don't have a rental because his insurance company hasn't decided for sure that it was his fault still.

BUT - I'm alive and almost completely healthy. I couldn't drive to my friends house in another city for Thanksgiving dinner (being carless now and all) so they came and got me and drove me back early this afternoon. And I ate way too much really great food and drank just enough good red wine last night in the company of a dozen very old friends. And they told me that my music on the CD I brought was really great and we all laughed a lot and often about really silly things (like that the Frangelica bottle looked a lot like a divorced Aunt Jemima bottle).

(
http://www.frangelico.com/
http://image2.onlineauction.com/auctions//33498/hcrt-912645-1.jpg
)

And all of that is something to be very thankful for. And I feel so grateful. It's so easy to forget, to take it all for granted. In the end - it's all the little things. You take care of the little things, and they take care of the big ones.

Mark Stebbeds
11-27-2009, 09:31 PM
BUT - I'm alive and almost completely healthy. I couldn't drive to my friends house in another city for Thanksgiving dinner (being carless now and all) so they came and got me and drove me back early this afternoon. And I ate way too much really great food and drank just enough good red wine last night in the company of a dozen very old friends. And they told me that my music on the CD I brought was really great and we all laughed a lot and often about really silly things (like that the Frangelica bottle looked a lot like a divorced Aunt Jemima bottle).

So it was a blessed gathering.

I just returned from a wonderful gathering of brothers and sisters in the same place collectively for the first time in fifteen years.

On the 500 mile return trip, some red headed CHP cop pulled me over and gave me a "speeding" ticket for the first time in twenty years, while I was driving at the same speed as everyone esle. Either this is an omen that I need to slow down, or "the Man" is out to get me. In either case, it was great to see my family, and I'll research options that Ralph Malph's radar gun was out of calibration.

But I am so grateful that I saw my family, and I am glad that no harm came to you in your unfortunate experience.

Mark

John Ludlow
11-28-2009, 07:42 AM
But I am so grateful that I saw my family, and I am glad that no harm came to you in you unfortunate experience.

Mark

Thanks Mark.

Mark Stebbeds
11-28-2009, 08:26 AM
My favorite line in the article. Um, how is spending over two large going to save me money? These clowns should work for the governement!

Because the expansion chassis is about $1400 less than the hardware exchange on a huge HD3 system, as it said in the sentence previous to the one you singled out. That's a typical size for a commercial recording studio. If you're up to HD 7 like a film post house may be, the savings is many thousands more. For a smaller HD system, the hardware exchange may be more affordable than an expansion chassis.

Yep, the government is full of clowns that can't read, can't add, and can't spell.

OBC 8/10

Mark

Mark Stebbeds
11-28-2009, 08:30 AM
My favorite part is where they basically say, 'Well, you could get by with only 4 cores - but 8 will perform better'. Where is all that processing power going anyway?

I think they are saying ...if you are buying, why buy older technology? 8 is twice as many as 4.

Also, if you pimp out your LE system, you can get up to 128 audio and 64 virtual instrument tracks and the plug-in to boot, so that probably requires some juice.

A basic system can get by with much less.

Mark

Cary B. Cornett
11-28-2009, 09:44 AM
... I seem to have escaped with a little stiffness and some sort of a bad bruise on my left shoulder where it ran into... something: the window or that column between the front and back drivers-side windows.
I don't know why, but automotive engineers call "that column" the "B pillar". The column in front of the front driver's side window is called the "A pillar". These terms stick in my mind because I remember my wife telling me about a Ford engineer named Al Sant who was killed in an accident when his head struck the A pillar.

So, I am glad that you escaped serious injury, and I hope that there are no lasting effects on your shoulder.

Iain Westland
11-28-2009, 10:55 AM
They call them A and B for guys like me. When I get an MOT failure through I need to know where the welding is. Easier to understand A and B rather than Windscreen stantion or the like.

Keep it simple for the mechanic, :D

You had a close one, so glad your OK. God speed on a full recovery and quick recompense

iain

John Ludlow
11-28-2009, 11:38 PM
Thanks guys. A little stiff today though. I've been talking with people (everybody has advice) and they say that sometimes injuries from accidents don't manifest for days. Hopefully I will escape that fate.

On the good side - I'm all rental-carred up now. His insurance company capitulated quickly once the facts were known. Now it's a question of whether they think they can fix my car or not. Doesn't seem likely though.

Leadfoot
11-29-2009, 05:35 AM
Thanks guys. A little stiff today though. they say that sometimes injuries from accidents don't manifest for days.

Having just had neck/disc surgery back in march this year(not from a car accident), I can vouge for that advice. After going through it and learning what I have about necks and discs and spinal cords, you should pay careful attention to your neck. Most car accidents leave lasting injury to the neck that may not show for years to come. Good luck, stay safe.

DominicPerry
11-29-2009, 05:41 AM
You should definitely seek medical assistance (by which I do not mean a chiropractor) and tell them that you have been in an auto accident. Whiplash injuries can cause serious problems long after the event even if you feel ok at the time. Do some research on it. But tell your doctor.

Dominic

John Ludlow
11-29-2009, 10:05 AM
Thanks, fellas. Good information and excellent advice and I'm going to follow it.

Brent Evans
11-29-2009, 12:00 PM
John, if I may kindly add, don't be quick to settle on the medical and pain/suffering claims with his insurance company. I was in a nasty wreck when I was 15, and I still have wrist and chest injuries that haunt me till this day, I am now 28.

Find out the statue of limitations, and take your time to make sure you get all you rightfully deserve. Retain an attorney, but not one of the ones you see advertising. If you don't already have one you normally use, shop around a bit, because their rates will vary, and they will keep a LOT of your money if you're not careful. I found one who works for 25% out of court and 33% in court, which was very reasonable (considering the big boys want up to 50%), and he got me the max that their insurance would pay out, and to me, seemed like an honest and decent guy (for an attorney :) ). I've used his firm several times since for traffic tickets and so forth.

John Ludlow
11-30-2009, 07:39 AM
It's two years, Brent. But - I'm hoping to be done with all of this long before then. That being said - if I'm not done with it, I'll do what I have to do.

I have a brother who is a doctor and a brother in law who is in entertainment law now - but who used to do personal injury and they've both talked with me about it. Although I have no interest in running up the score, I do feel that they owe me whatever I need to be healthy again. That guy ran a red light doing over 50, at least, destroyed my car, and injured me. My preference would be for it to go away immediately and then they could just pay me for my car but, if it doesn't, I'll learn how to play the game enough to be compensated.

Brent Evans
11-30-2009, 09:11 AM
It's two years, Brent. But - I'm hoping to be done with all of this long before then. That being said - if I'm not done with it, I'll do what I have to do.

I have a brother who is a doctor and a brother in law who is in entertainment law now - but who used to do personal injury and they've both talked with me about it. Although I have no interest in running up the score, I do feel that they owe me whatever I need to be healthy again. That guy ran a red light doing over 50, at least, destroyed my car, and injured me. My preference would be for it to go away immediately and then they could just pay me for my car but, if it doesn't, I'll learn how to play the game enough to be compensated.

Good to know you've got good people. Two years is relatively short by comparison. I had five to settle mine, but that may had something to do with the fact that I was a minor at the time, I can't remember. I guess all I was saying is that certain kinds of injury can last a lot longer and affect more things than you'd expect them to. My wrist injuries prevent me from doing any kind of fine mechanical work without a lot of pain, very much limiting my job possibilities. It's not enough to claim disability, but it is limiting. Also, just to clarify the above, the turd who hit us only had minimum insurance, and this was before NC mandated underinsured driver coverage, so I got stuck getting 75% of about 12k, which in no way was sufficient compensation for the level of lasting injury I have. I don't want you to think I was suggesting you maliciously take them for all they're worth, but consider the future too.

Best of luck!

John Ludlow
11-30-2009, 07:43 PM
Hi Brent,

No - I didn't think you were suggesting that I exploit them. I appreciate your good advice and experience - and I can tell that it's good because I am hearing it over and over from many people. It seems like everyone has a horror story to tell about either themselves or a loved one. I will be careful. I hit the MD today for x-rays and a couple of scrips for the pain and stiffness. Nothing is broken. His prognosis is basically whiplash. Hopefully it goes away sooner than later. I got a call from his insurance company today about settling for the car (which is scrap, as expected). I'm impressed with the job that his insurance company (Progressive) is doing. Fast, professional, friendly. Can't complain.