PDA

View Full Version : Record Retake Options

Les Woollam
12-21-2004, 10:10 AM
Having recorded 100's of hours of speech in SAW Studio, one of the most useful features for me is the 'Retake to Current SF Cursor Position' option. This is invaluable for performong seamless edits 'on the fly'.
The only problem I've encountered (purely self-inflicted!) is that, on occassions during the heat of a session, I've inadvertently hit Ctrl Backspace instead of Shift Backspace and erased the entire file! I'm sure Bob will counter this with something like 'Use the mouse instead of the keystrokes', but is there any chance of an update where it would be possible to disable 'Retake All' and/or 'Retake to Last Record Position' in Options? In this way, I could disable those features before a session and be safe in the knowledge that then even I couldn't cock it up!

Bob L
12-21-2004, 10:39 AM
Variations on features give incredible power to the engineer. Options to turn these variations on and off also give incredible flexibility to the program design. Unfortunately, every feature cannot efficiently have options to activate or deactivate it. Each option adds much more code and in some cases resource intensity to the program itself.

It also complicates the operation of the interface, because many don't know that something is not working because they turned off an option and forgot about it.

It also complicates training and explaining how the interface works... Do this, unless this option or this option is ON, then do this, except when this option and this option are OFF... :)

I am always reviewing the available options and continue to make modifications, but I am also always leary at doing so without some deliberation of the effects.

In the case of the Retake All... there is a very bold warning message with a big RED X in it that comes up for the Retake ALL... all of the message dialogs that come up are for a purpose... I suggest you read them before blindly saying OK.

I understand the idea of being lost in the moment of doing the session, but part of being a good engineer is learning the tools and paying attention at all times, especially in the heat of the moment... that's what makes you a better engineer than the next guy.

Watering down the program so you don't make mistakes is absolutely impossible without crippling the very same program. I have placed the warning messages in strategic places and given options where they can help to modify the program to different people's needs, but this can never be an ongoing process for every possible function the program has.

With that said, I'll mark the idea in the ToDo list and we'll see what happens. :)

Bob L

Pedro Itriago
12-21-2004, 10:58 AM
Maybe if you buy x-keys to use it in those key combination cases, that may help you minimize these errors by assigning those keystrokes to a single one in the x-keys keyboard.

Just a thought

Yura
12-21-2004, 01:50 PM
The last improvement Bob made with ctrl+backspace where when I sent my :mad: :mad: :mad: after all 6 h. work was erased with my ctrl-backspace during I dared to apply this key-command being in select mode while rec panel was active:)

Les Woollam
12-21-2004, 03:26 PM
I understand the idea of being lost in the moment of doing the session, but part of being a good engineer is learning the tools and paying attention at all times, especially in the heat of the moment... that's what makes you a better engineer than the next guy.

Bob L

While I'm sure, all of us try to have the edge on the next guy, I'm the first to admit I'm only human and will continue to make the odd mistake. All I'm suggesting is the option of disabling these destructive commands to act as a fail-safe during a recording session.
I can see that the more options you write into the programme, the more the room for operator confusion - obviously you need to strike a balance. But as Yura said - one key stroke and bang, 6 hours work gone!
Could the programme be written so that it automatically defaults to the setting we have today; then if someone wants to disable these record commands, they have to actively do that at the beginning of every session?

Bob L
12-21-2004, 03:50 PM
I'm sure I could do that... but then I'm sure that one day will come around when you forget to activate the option and then loose 6 hrs work with one keystroke. :)

No matter what, you can always damage things with one keystroke no matter how many fail safes you put in the code... and then if you have too many failsafes, you can't get anything done in an efficient manner as you turn on and off a dozen options and then go through message dialogs asking "Are You Sure about the last Are You Sure" prompt. :D

I said I'd look at this one and I definitely will.

Bob L

Les Woollam
12-21-2004, 04:06 PM
Thanks Bob - every confidence in you! :)

MMP
12-21-2004, 10:05 PM
on occassions during the heat of a session, I've inadvertently hit Ctrl Backspace instead of Shift Backspace and erased the entire file!
Is this the origin of your studio name? Take Two?

Sorry, couldn't resist.http://www.sawstudiouser.net/forums/images/icons/icon12.gif

Regards,

MM

Les Woollam
12-22-2004, 04:25 AM
If that was the origin we'd be called something more like 'Take 32'

spiritman
12-22-2004, 08:19 AM
This is a great timesaver Bob. My input here to leave this one the way it is!
Just my view. http://www.sawstudiouser.net/forums/images/icons/icon10.gif