PDA

View Full Version : A couple of feature requests...

sjpaul
12-08-2009, 03:00 AM
Would it be possible to be able to select FX by double clicking on the FX choice, rather than clicking and then having to "add" in the Pre or Post window?

Also, I'd really like to have a mini gain reduction meter in the F mixer view just above the faders, and in the Z mixer and E mixers it would be handy if the gain reduction meter was just above the faders too....

That's my Christmas wish list done...!:D

Bob L
12-08-2009, 08:01 AM
Double-clicking the FX in the choices window will have no idea which patch point (pre or pst) you want to use... there is also a solo patch window as well... so... the selection in the choices must be followed by some other way of determining the destination...

Also... the way it is now facilitates adding the same plug to more than one chan in a series... because once it is selected in the Choices window, you can now just jump down the tracks and add... add... add to the different patch windows on different chans.

The double-click does not appear to be any kind of savings in time or even keystrokes in general.

Bob L

ssrsound
12-08-2009, 10:55 AM
How about a right-click menu in the FX choices window for each item that has the various things you can do with that FX? So you could have "add to pre" "add to post" "add to solo"

That'd give you the opportunity to also have a "add to all selected pre" "add to all selected post" which would add it to all the selected channels at once rather than just the active channel.

Bob L
12-08-2009, 11:23 AM
So... in reality you are now adding code... adding mouse clicks and time to select from a popup menu... and this is better than the current method how?? :)

Bob L

ssrsound
12-08-2009, 11:48 AM
The current method works ok. But it's just more intuitive to click on an object and tell that object what you want to do with it. It's one of the principles behind object-based user-interfaces -- that you tell an object what to do directly rather than selecting it and having some other part of the interface act on it.

Your method is more like what all the CAD guys did in the '80s, but what I'm suggesting is more what all the GUI designers did starting in the 90's. Neither is more powerful than the other, it's just what style users are used to these days.

RBIngraham
12-08-2009, 11:49 AM
OK, just to be a smart ass about it....

How about drag and drop? :p

{ducking}

ssrsound
12-08-2009, 11:56 AM
I was carefully avoiding suggesting that!

(and I should note that the older CAD system method is to this day still argued as more powerful because you can do more complex actions. It just strikes me FX items don't necessarily need more complex actions).

Trackzilla
12-08-2009, 09:24 PM
I agree with Bob on this one...

Please don't anyone take offense here, but any designer has to split time between creating the new powerful additions everyone clamors for and reworking already perfect code to add a different way to access what is already there...I'd rather see things like the 'vertical mixer matrix' view for monitorworld, remote accessibility for plugs, and the speaker management solution implemented sooner & spend effort honing the mouseclicking preferences for the GIUcentric users later.

I myself typically double click a plug in the FXchoices menu at least once a day...big deal, makes me say 'doh!' & adds a half a second to what I was doing. Reality is, having a pop-up ask me what I meant to have happen & then clicking on it instead of moving to the right window & doing it (as it is now) would not actually improve my workflow at all.

gdougherty
12-08-2009, 11:20 PM
I agree with Bob on this one...

Please don't anyone take offense here, but any designer has to split time between creating the new powerful additions everyone clamors for and reworking already perfect code to add a different way to access what is already there...I'd rather see things like the 'vertical mixer matrix' view for monitorworld, remote accessibility for plugs, and the speaker management solution implemented sooner & spend effort honing the mouseclicking preferences for the GIUcentric users later.

I myself typically double click a plug in the FXchoices menu at least once a day...big deal, makes me say 'doh!' & adds a half a second to what I was doing. Reality is, having a pop-up ask me what I meant to have happen & then clicking on it instead of moving to the right window & doing it (as it is now) would not actually improve my workflow at all.

+1 The only concept I do like, since the fx list clear already works this way, is for an add action to apply across multiple selected channels.

Naturally Digital
12-08-2009, 11:38 PM
How about assigning the left/right arrow keys to change the hotchannel while the FX view windows are active?

Bob L
12-08-2009, 11:54 PM
Once you add a plugin to one chan... you can now store that chan to a memory cell and then you can select multiple chans all over the console and use the Recall FX from the memory cell to instantly add that patch to multiple chans at once.

Bob L

RBIngraham
12-09-2009, 12:01 AM
Hah! Figures. Bob already has a way to let you do what you want. You just have to learn how to use it. :p

quaizywabbit
12-09-2009, 01:10 AM
an alternative way to approach this would be to "arm" the cursor(ie..it changes to reflect the current mode, similar to when channels are selected), so its easily distinguishable which mode you're in, and via some easy key sequence, set each channel based on which mode is currently "armed". use the ESC key or something to quickly exit this 'temporary' mode and go back to normal. This could work to replace a few popup menu driven mechanisms, which tend to require more steps to get the desired result....speed, accuracy, and intuitiveness should win out here...

Scenes shouldnt be the 'end-all, be-all' solution to make things happen fast, since you actually need to know in advance what needs to happen when, (and EXACTLY where), for scenes to be effective. Hence why I suggested integrating channel templates with the scenes property window, and having a channel template library view. Perhaps a simple right-click on a selection in the channel template library view could "arm" the cursor, and whatever appropriate mouse/key combo could act on the selected channel(s)..

I know this isn't code friendly, but when you're in a hurry, popup menus make you think too much, when you're really trying to react as fast as possible.....

i apologize in advance.....

Naturally Digital
12-09-2009, 01:46 AM
Hah! Figures. Bob already has a way to let you do what you want. You just have to learn how to use it. :pBut I want to patch a different plugin on every channel. :confused: Bob's method doesn't help me with that one.

This issue has been on the table for years... long before SAC came along. I'm not the first one to suggest enabling mixer navigation from the FX patch windows.

quaizywabbit
12-09-2009, 01:55 AM
But I want to patch a different plugin on every channel. :confused: Bob's method doesn't help me with that one.

This issue has been on the table for years... long before SAC came along. I'm not the first one to suggest enabling mixer navigation from the FX patch windows.

undoubtedly not on the same exact channel each time.....which rules out scenes, unless you create one for every possible permutation....