PDA

View Full Version : Recommended recording assignments?

AudioAstronomer
06-05-2004, 04:36 PM
So I've noticed two ways of recording. And Im wondering what bob, and possibly other users, feel about each method.

1. Simply hit record, and select the proper input channel. Say analog 1, in the recording meter. Shift-SRP to begin immediate playback and recording (my personal choice unless doing a punch-in). Side note: Is there a way to do the shift-click SRP as just a keyboard command? I hate having to use my mouse for that functionality :)

2. Assign analog input 1 to the mixer channel. Set recording active for that channel, and assign the input as that mixer channel. This I've noticed allows live-monitoring, while method 1 does not. Is this any less stable or advised?

Thanks :) If I missed anything else please enlighten me! I've been using 1 unless I need to be using SAw as my live console and recorder simultaneously.

MMP
06-05-2004, 04:40 PM
Spacebar starts playback SRP
Enter punches in/out
Spacebar+Enter starts SRP/Rec

MM

Shift-SRP to begin immediate playback and recording (my personal choice unless doing a punch-in). Side note: Is there a way to do the shift-click SRP as just a keyboard command?

Jesse Skeens
06-05-2004, 04:42 PM
Could you enlighten me on what the Shift does with SRP?

AudioAstronomer
06-05-2004, 05:00 PM
Could you enlighten me on what the Shift does with SRP?

SRP means playback will start, and hitting record will begin recording on record enabled tracks. Shift then clicking SRP begings recording immediatly. There was a reason I dont use spacebar then enter. I dont exactly remember why. Ill use it and see why :) So far when tracking Ive been able to almost entirely remove the mouse from my hand. Which is a very good thing. Keyboard is much more tactile and requires less thought than using a mouse. Less interuption of flow.

AudioAstronomer
06-05-2004, 07:01 PM
I have answered my own question:

The Auto SRP-Record latch feature. Always one step ahead of me bob... can really get a to a guy :) thanks!

Bob L
06-05-2004, 10:40 PM
Robert,

You got it... the latch will let also you use the SpaceBar to start SRP and Record together.

As far as which record method to use... that depends on a few factors and preferences for the job at hand.

First, Live Input Channel routing requires that your system is capable of the low realtime latencies... without drivers that can reach stable buffer settings of 3 x 256 or 128 or less, this method is no good...

The straight from soundcard method does not depend on buffer settings... the signals are still placed in the proper sync positions, but you must monitor from a split source, or with cards like the RME Hammerfall DSP or Mixtreme and others, you can monitor from the built-in mixer apps.

Full use of the Live Input recording method will become more valuable if I can get the internal automatic Line/MT switching working when you punch-in... this will then operate like true tape-style monitor switching that most of us engineers are used to from the analog days. :)

Bob L

AudioAstronomer
06-05-2004, 11:12 PM
The line/MT switching would really be fantastic. 3x256 buffer means 768 samples correct? At 44100 sample rate, that is 17ms of latency is it not? Or is it still a 256 sample latency? 17 surely wouldn't be acceptable for any kind of performance so Im sure you mean the latter.

Bob L
06-06-2004, 12:10 AM
Robert,

You are correct... about 17 ms... but I am saying that would be the max you could even start to consider for workable monitor latency... and yes you can hear that as a slapback... but as soon as you start getting into the 3 x 128 and less... things start to become quite interesting...

All of this conversation couldn't even happen a few years ago... so the idea of even considering the full live virtual console for monitoring is amazing to me. :)

Bob L