PDA

View Full Version : Dynamic processes

Yura
12-21-2004, 09:39 PM
Hi all

I have maybe an interesting question, concerning dynamics processing.
To make it more demonstrative I put the situation first.
We made speech film traks and sent them to comission control. Control guy had returned them to us with verdict said the dynamical range of all sound tracks is exceeding "needed" range. what exactly noticed that OUR released dynamic range is from -65 db to -6 db. And needed range must be from -45 db to -20 db. And our task is to lower our range to those only 25 db.
I started my thoughts how to do this optimally, with minimum dynamic faults. and came to scheme. First, I must to compress upper range of signal from -6 to -20 db, and this calls no questions. But second, I must raise all background nature noises from -60 to -45 db (calm rustles, beards, silent wind...) And I came to idea that Neodynium multilevel compressor can do this. Really, I adjusted it as it showed on picture. All my input dyn range I splited to 3 level zones. First upper zone does compress input signal to -20, if the input level is grater then -20. middle zone - signal goes unprocessed as it is.
3-d lower zone: if the signal is lower than -45 db it will be maximized to -45 db. i.e. signal having amplitude between -45 and -60 db will be raised to -45.
All must be ok, but this is curious: Is there possibility to make such exactly with SAWStudio dynamics tools only?
We have SAW compressor, gate, reverse gate, and normalization function all in Levelizer module. Can we make some trick to reproduce Neodynium 3 bands?

SoundSuite
12-21-2004, 11:16 PM
That looks good for a plugin solution if you do not have the original session to remix.

To replicate in SS, In theory...
Place the mixed soundfile on MT channel x...
-Gate below all sounds to kill noise floor(if not already done), Pre FX/PreFdr using Bob's strip
-Patch in Levelizer, Post Fdr. Set peak limit=99
-Apply gain to channel at fader, raise the lower sounds to -25dB (if you need more, use the channel comp gain, but not it's compression stages)
-Apply compression, etc on Levelizer as needed to get everything in the -25dB range from clip
-Lower volume on main out by -20dB and buildmix

A>B this vs the plugin and report back if you could, please.
(assuming you have the Levelizer...of course, I imagine Pieter's Comp or any other with limiting in the output stage would do this too)

Yura
12-22-2004, 01:18 PM
Thanks

Very interesting...
I will look into this...