PDA

View Full Version : The new rig finally went live!

905shmick
12-14-2009, 02:34 PM
After starting the initial mini build in march to slowly acquiring the rest of the rig, we finally launched the new SAC rig this weekend. Along with the launch of SAC we also made the cutover from stage wedges to wireless and wired IEMs + buttkicker bass platform and drum throne. And for a bonus, we also added wireless mics for the singers.

We're running a 72 channel system with 48 channels at the stage and 24 channels at FOH. Stage and FOH are linked by 2 pairs of audiorails using a singe cat5 cable as the audiorails only use 2 of the 4 pair.

Below are some build pics as we started the transplant of existing gear and merging of new gear for the better part of thursday and friday.

This is a portable HoW rig that gets setup and torn down weekly in a high school.

Old system - Soundcraft GB4-32 with a 24/4 snake running to the stage. 4 wedge mixes max. Don't mind the dirt, this was being used in a barn with a dirt floor for a couple of events.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4003/4183887678_19f9f34ba6.jpg

New stage rack. Designed and orders to size. 6 ch of wireless IEM. 6 ADA8000 units. 4 multipin subsnakes to feed the stage. Missing from this photo is the On the back side of the rack is ethercon and powercon connections on the front for quick power and digital snake connect/disconnect. Also, on the back of the rack is where the amps are installed as well as the 8 channel headphone amp for the wired IEMs and 2 audiorails.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2568/4183896398_6101def207.jpg

New FOH case. Designed and ordered to size. Shockmount rack for the equipment. From the top is power strip, 4 channel headphone amp for FOH and MON solo. 13 channels of wireless. 3 ADA8000s, rackmount SAC PC and 1550 VA UPS. On the right side is the rest of the transplanted gear. CD & Video playback / switching. I've also got a 2nd PC installed as a SAC remote to allow a 2nd person to mix Mons as well as live training. There are also ethercon and powercon connections on the right side.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2513/4183134641_a5a0ecda4a.jpg

We went live with it on Saturday afternoon and used it again yesterday. Everyone is very pleased with it, and the band is loving the stereo IEM mixes.

Bruce Callaway
12-14-2009, 07:29 PM
I like the setup, thanks for the great pictures.

A Smith
12-14-2009, 08:54 PM
As a muso who was loving the stereo IEM mix, I can attest to this.

All the band seemed to like the setup, but it's going to take a bit to fully adjust to the switch to IEMs.
The best part is that it was very quick to get a custom panned mix going. And of course since the TC Nova seems to be the delay pedal to have these days there was some good electric guitar panning delay going on between my ears.

The only problem with SAC remote is that I'll never again be sure that Schmick isn't messing with my head, even when he's not at FOH.

quaizywabbit
12-14-2009, 11:09 PM
what are those brackets that the ADA's are mounted to?

looks like they recess the mounting point, got a mfr. or link to check em out?

gdougherty
12-14-2009, 11:41 PM
That is a truly sweet and professional looking setup.

905shmick
12-15-2009, 07:14 AM
what are those brackets that the ADA's are mounted to?

looks like they recess the mounting point, got a mfr. or link to check em out?

Yeah, we ended up recessing the ADAs when we realized the fanout XLR were going to interfere with the case doors. The rails are from old 1U servers that were available, but I did find these (http://www.rackmountpro.com/product.aspx?prodid=1679&catid=347) online before we found the ones we're using now.

dgrimm
12-16-2009, 06:36 PM
Sweeeeeet Rack!!!:):)

Did you take the rack ears off the ADA8k's. can you post a closeup of the ADA8k mounting?

905shmick
12-16-2009, 06:50 PM
Sweeeeeet Rack!!!:):)

Did you take the rack ears off the ADA8k's. can you post a closeup of the ADA8k mounting?

Yep, the stock ears were removed. I'll try and take some additional pics this weekend.

dgrimm
12-16-2009, 06:54 PM
Is the picture of the new rack the back or front?

A Smith
12-18-2009, 07:28 PM
One of the experiments we did in testing the system was to see how much all of the AD/DA layers affected the latency.
We tested several system configurations but the most notable one was, as I recall, when the signal path went:
Epiphone Dot > Line6 XDR95 digital wireless TX/RX > ADA8K IN@FOH> SAC > ADA8K OUT@Stage> various effects pedals > TC ND-1 Nova Delay digital delay > DI > ADA8K IN@Stage> SAC > ADA8K OUT@Stage> Senn EW 300 IEMs TX/RX
and there wasn't any noticeable delay. This was to test the feasibility of housing a guitar receiver at FOH and running the signal back onstage to a pedalboard. It worked well but we haven't used that setup live.

accessaudio
12-20-2010, 12:57 PM
As a new person to the SAC format, it was really interesting to be able to see this particular SAC rig in full bore at the BARN.... Was grateful for the ability to shadow this rig and see it in operation. The guys were great to spend time explaining the operations and flexibilities of this rig.. Thanks again.

Greg

905shmick
12-20-2010, 01:12 PM
As a new person to the SAC format, it was really interesting to be able to see this particular SAC rig in full bore at the BARN.... Was grateful for the ability to shadow this rig and see it in operation. The guys were great to spend time explaining the operations and flexibilities of this rig.. Thanks again.

Greg

Hi Greg,

This must have been last weekend during our Christmas At The Farm event. I was just getting from from Cuba that morning, else I would have been there to meet you.

Glad you could see the rig in action and feel free to ask any questions, we're more than happy to respond!