PDA

View Full Version : Storing and recalling across all mixers.

905shmick
12-14-2009, 09:41 PM
Would it be possible to have the option to store and recall settings through all mixers?

I've been reorganizing my SAC channel order by using "Store All" and "Recall All" functionality. The problem is that as I move things on the FOH console, the settings are not recalled on the MON consoles, only the new channel label is sent through all the mixers.

Bob L
12-14-2009, 10:43 PM
The current functionality allows each mixer to have its own channel ordering...

You can duplicate chan ordering from any mixer to another with the Duplicate functions. (right-click the current mixer readout zone at the top of the main window).

Bob L

905shmick
12-14-2009, 11:01 PM
What about saving and recalling Eq,Dyn,Fx and Aux from 1 channel across all mixers to another channel across all mixers.

For example, I'm moving the label and all settings from I-30 to I-25 on the FOH mixer. When I do that, the label passes through on all mixers, but only the Eq,Dyn,Fx and Aux from FOH are transferred. The Eq,Dyn,Fx and Aux that were on the Mon 1 mixer don't get moved from I-30 to I-25.

gdougherty
12-14-2009, 11:35 PM
This would be very handy. I know you can reassign a physical input to any virtual channel, but the virtual channel must be mapped to a gain knob on a physical piece of hardware. Since there isn't any easy way to see, at a glance, what physical input is mapped to a virtual input on the F-mixer where many of us spend most of our time, the easiest solution appears to be keeping the physical input mapped to the same numeric channel in SAC.

What'd be really sweet is a whole set of functions similar to memory storage. I'm thinking something like shifting a block of channels across all mixers down the virtual channel order. It'd also be handy for remapping setups for different stage configurations. I have subsnakes that corespond to each of my preamp inputs. If I make a major change to the arrangement of the subsnakes it'd be great to be able to relocate a block of channels and all their monitor settings to different inputs. For those of us with constantly shifting setups but the same or similar bands, that'd be a godsend.

905shmick
12-15-2009, 07:27 AM
This would be very handy. I know you can reassign a physical input to any virtual channel, but the virtual channel must be mapped to a gain knob on a physical piece of hardware. Since there isn't any easy way to see, at a glance, what physical input is mapped to a virtual input on the F-mixer where many of us spend most of our time, the easiest solution appears to be keeping the physical input mapped to the same numeric channel in SAC.

What'd be really sweet is a whole set of functions similar to memory storage. I'm thinking something like shifting a block of channels across all mixers down the virtual channel order. It'd also be handy for remapping setups for different stage configurations. I have subsnakes that corespond to each of my preamp inputs. If I make a major change to the arrangement of the subsnakes it'd be great to be able to relocate a block of channels and all their monitor settings to different inputs. For those of us with constantly shifting setups but the same or similar bands, that'd be a godsend.

This is what I'm doing right now and it's turning into a more time intense task than I had expected. For the time being I've opened up the old mix session, selected all of the inputs on each mixer in use and have stored all of the channel data into their own folders. When I'm done re-jigging the layout on the new session I'll manually recall the channels on the individual mixers. I just need to keep note of the chan assignment on the old session as that data isn't stored or recalled. The good news is that almost all of the data is stored on the FOH and Mon 1 mixers. Mon 2 - 24 are tapped post fader from Mon 1.

gdougherty
12-15-2009, 08:13 AM
This is what I'm doing right now and it's turning into a more time intense task than I had expected. For the time being I've opened up the old mix session, selected all of the inputs on each mixer in use and have stored all of the channel data into their own folders. When I'm done re-jigging the layout on the new session I'll manually recall the channels on the individual mixers. I just need to keep note of the chan assignment on the old session as that data isn't stored or recalled. The good news is that almost all of the data is stored on the FOH and Mon 1 mixers. Mon 2 - 24 are tapped post fader from Mon 1.

Ah, files as the intermediate. That'd work but, yeah, major PITA for any configuration more complex.

Bob L
12-15-2009, 05:57 PM
If you save a chan to a chan template file... it keys off the label name... and you can select multiple chans and save them all at once, each to its own chan template file...

Later you can recall (based on label name being the same) multiple chans on another session.... or only selected chans from the same templates... so for instance you can transfer just the drum setup from one session to another... as long as you label them the same.

I will look into more options for saving across certain mixers...

but... perhaps you are making things more complex than needed... keep it simple... keep input assignments the same input device as the chan number... then you can re-arrange anything in any order to group things visually together on the screen... and then it becomes pretty simple to keep things under control.

There already are an incredible amount of saving and restoring options and duplicating options... etc... :)

Bob L

gdougherty
12-15-2009, 09:06 PM
If you save a chan to a chan template file... it keys off the label name... and you can select multiple chans and save them all at once, each to its own chan template file...

Later you can recall (based on label name being the same) multiple chans on another session.... or only selected chans from the same templates... so for instance you can transfer just the drum setup from one session to another... as long as you label them the same.

I will look into more options for saving across certain mixers...

but... perhaps you are making things more complex than needed... keep it simple... keep input assignments the same input device as the chan number... then you can re-arrange anything in any order to group things visually together on the screen... and then it becomes pretty simple to keep things under control.

There already are an incredible amount of saving and restoring options and duplicating options... etc... :)

Bob L

Thanks Bob, SAC can already do an amazing amount and the ease of reorganization is very flexible. Anything you could come up with would be much appreciated. It's not always realistic or simple to keep the inputs the same. I do try to keep the drums on a standard set of channels, but sometimes due to subsnake lengths and the lack of time to relabel them it's difficult to keep other channels on the same inputs. Mostly the issues come in when I want to move a single channel or just a handful of channels and they coincide with where I had things before.
To 905's point, it's not as much the channel storing and recall that's a pain, but the depth of that channel across all mixers. Anything you could do there to store and recall a channel across all mix layers would be awesome. Even beyond moving channels, it'd be handy since I typically apply the same FOH and monitor settings to things like congas, and overriding the default monitor source settings on those to speed setup would be a huge help.

905shmick
12-15-2009, 09:10 PM
Speaking of grouping things visually on the screen, is there any chance of getting channel label colours (or colors) soon? I'd love to be able to colour code groups of channels (ie: inst, vox, drums) especially when looking at them on the F-Mixer. It would be so easy to spot specific inputs or VCAs and click on them.

Bob L
12-16-2009, 08:16 AM
Looking into the idea... but in the meantime... try using the chan vca's as the divider... works great for me... so... 10 drum chans... followed by its drum vca... then 6 voc chans... followed by its vocal vca... etc... the out vca chans act as very visible group separators in the F-Mixer view.

Bob L

gdougherty
12-16-2009, 08:30 AM
Looking into the idea... but in the meantime... try using the chan vca's as the divider... works great for me... so... 10 drum chans... followed by its drum vca... then 6 voc chans... followed by its vocal vca... etc... the out vca chans act as very visible group separators in the F-Mixer view.

Bob L

Hmm, I like. I've been using the unused input channels from above my input count (chan 36+). Putting the VCA next to what it controls makes good sense.

905shmick
12-16-2009, 09:29 AM
I've been on the fence about this idea for a while as I like having the VCAs together to be able to control multiple VCAs at once with the control surface. Having the ability to store channel arrangements with an F-Key could also be a nice solution to this.

gdougherty
12-16-2009, 09:43 AM
And that makes sense as well; even for the keyboard mixer like myself since I can jump back and forth between VCA's a bit quicker than if they're spread out.