PDA

View Full Version : Levelizer problem still peaking its ugly head

AudioAstronomer
12-22-2004, 01:41 PM
I can get this to happen consistantly with all my projects. Im not sure if there are other ways to reproduce but this is exactly what makes it happen.

Patch levelizer in output track.

Close Levelizer

Switch to input track, make adjustments.

got back to output track

Patch in another SS plug (freq analyzer specifically I keep having the problem with)

Suddenly levelizer doesnt work anymore. I think just the normalize routine is cutting out, but since I generally use levelizer as a clipping guard with a little gain I havent checked to see exactly.

Since 3.9b It happens constantly, I took the time to try on some other machines and it happens quite consistantly. Only remedy is to totally repatch the levelizer. I thought it was my stupidity somehow for a while so I just lived with it.

now Im pretty sure it's not my doing it wrong :)

andykern
12-22-2004, 03:30 PM
Reverse the order of the Freq Analyzer and Levelizer.

Bob L
12-22-2004, 03:54 PM
I just tried it here and nothing changes on my Levelizer.

My question would be... when you say go back to track 1 and make some adjustments... what adjustments... if you adjust anything that manipulates the gain... fader... eq... compression... etc... you could just be dropping the final level results below the threshold you had the Levelizer set for and therefore it looks like its no longer working.

Try the same test, but make sure the Levelizer is set to squash fairly hard... then see if your adjustments still keep the Levelizer working.

Or go back and make some adjustments, but then put the adjustments back to where they were... see if that works.

By the way, I question whether the patch order, in this case, should make any difference.

Bob L

AudioAstronomer
12-22-2004, 04:19 PM
Doesnt seem to care what I do... if I turn the EQ on, make changes, turn it off... then go back it still happens.

Ill see if I can find a more specific order to make it happen. I may be leaving out a step or two.

tomasino
12-22-2004, 04:40 PM
If it makes any sense,
try plugging the Frequency Analyzer into the Final Res Fx patch point. Thats where I put the analyzer doo-dad I've been using, just to keep it out of the way.

If it doesn't make any sense, forget I ever brought it up. Baa.

Dave Labrecque
12-22-2004, 11:41 PM
This is probably unrelated...

I've seen the Levelizer appear, when first patched, with a setting of -0.18 dB (98%) for the Normalizer. It's only a "phantom" setting, because it doesn't actually do anything. This seems to happen after I've already set up a Levelizer elsewhere and set the Normalizer to that setting. There's no default Levelizer setting in my setup (I don't even know if that's possible).