PDA

View Full Version : Regions for MidiWorkshop

mOjO Fet
12-15-2009, 02:45 PM
Hi Bob,

I know this has been mentioned before but is there a chance this feature is on the to do list....and not to far from the top? :)

I think it would make working inside MWS more intuitive.

br
Michael

Bob L
12-15-2009, 05:42 PM
It's on the top of the list... now I just have to fit the next MWS update into the schedule. :)

Bob L

mOjO Fet
12-16-2009, 01:54 AM
That's great!

Thanks!

Michael

Carey Langille
12-21-2009, 02:18 PM
WOW, REALLY????? This is Awesome News Bob.....:)

Dave Labrecque
12-22-2009, 10:04 AM
WOW, REALLY????? This is Awesome News Bob.....:)

If anything would, I knew that would pull you out of the woodwork, Carey. :p You lurker, you.

Carey Langille
12-23-2009, 05:28 AM
Merry Xmas Dave! ;)

Dave Labrecque
12-23-2009, 01:10 PM
Merry Xmas Dave! ;)

And to you and yours, my Canadian (not holding it against you, with a name like 'Labrecque') friend. :)

But are you as good at le hockey as I?

http://flyers.nhl.com/club/player.htm?id=8475315

Carey Langille
12-24-2009, 05:56 AM
Hahah Hockey? Skates? Im Afraid im a studio rat.. I think the last time i was on skates, was when my son was 4-6.... as he learned and very quickly became a much better skater than I....:p

John Ludlow
12-26-2009, 01:30 AM
And to you and yours, my Canadian (not holding it against you, with a name like 'Labrecque') friend. :)

But are you as good at le hockey as I?

http://flyers.nhl.com/club/player.htm?id=8475315

Boy, Dave, you really figured out what you wanted to do early in life. I see from your bio that you were born in 1990. So... that would mean that when I first started to read your posts you were, like, 4? And now you're taking on hockey as well? It's really humbling how much more some folks accomplish during the course of a lifetime.

Dave Labrecque
02-22-2011, 05:53 PM
Boy, Dave, you really figured out what you wanted to do early in life. I see from your bio that you were born in 1990. So... that would mean that when I first started to read your posts you were, like, 4? And now you're taking on hockey as well? It's really humbling how much more some folks accomplish during the course of a lifetime.

Woa -- John. I guess I missed this! Hey, thanks. Yeah, I'm fairly impressive. ;)

Carey Langille
02-22-2011, 06:08 PM
Wow, that was a Thread from the past.. i forgot, regions was on the top of the list 2 yrs ago... Merry xmas again dave

Naturally Digital
02-23-2011, 01:44 AM
Wow, that was a Thread from the past..Dave was googling himself again.:p

Dave Labrecque
02-23-2011, 09:16 AM
Dave was googling himself again.:p

It happens all the time... this crazy love of mine. :p

mako
02-27-2011, 05:45 PM
Yes - regions would be great. I have a lot of lighting programming coming up and that would be very helpful for moving blocks of commands around.

That is - if SS & MWS can talk to DMXIS.

cheers - mako

AcousticGlue
03-02-2011, 08:07 PM
This should be top of list

kylesoundman
03-02-2011, 08:59 PM
This should be top of list

I am inclined to agree.....I am use to working in Cubase and before I plunge into SAWStudio and MWS. I pretty much need MWS to have this feature like Cubase does....MIDI is a HUGE part of audio production these days on all levels of the industry and IMO MWS not having a "drum editor type thing" and regions is the ONLY and I mean ONLY thing holding me back at this time. I am willing to hold out and continue recording and editing midi drums in Cubase SL3 until this dream becomes a reality :)

Microstudio
03-03-2011, 12:25 AM
my 2 cents if I may?

SAW has regions for audio and if you double click on a region in SAW it opens it
in the SF view which allows you to edit down to the sample level.... this is great.

Why not keep to the theme and have regions in MWS and if you click on one it opens it up in the Midi File View?

Bob has said it is on the list many times and I think he will make it happen.

IMHO I think MWS should be included with SAW...:eek:

Carey Langille
03-03-2011, 05:32 AM
Kinda funny that the two biggest viewed items in receint posts are Regions in MWS and Sawstudio 5.0... :)

Grekim
03-03-2011, 05:32 AM
I am inclined to agree.....I am use to working in Cubase and before I plunge into SAWStudio and MWS. I pretty much need MWS to have this feature like Cubase does....MIDI is a HUGE part of audio production these days on all levels of the industry and IMO MWS not having a "drum editor type thing" and regions is the ONLY and I mean ONLY thing holding me back at this time. I am willing to hold out and continue recording and editing midi drums in Cubase SL3 until this dream becomes a reality :)

Well in the meantime, I'm not clear on what the problem is. You can set MWS to operate with a grid. You can have your pitches/drum sounds colorized. You can easily select an marked area, like a measure, and copy and paste it.

kylesoundman
03-03-2011, 08:18 AM
Well in the meantime, I'm not clear on what the problem is. You can set MWS to operate with a grid. You can have your pitches/drum sounds colorized. You can easily select an marked area, like a measure, and copy and paste it.

That still isnt as easy as writing drum parts in Cubase by drawing a midi region then simply using the drum stick tool to edit that drawn region, then being able to copy and paste the region as needed......maybe i need to spend some more time with the MWS demo to try some different things....I am just so aclimated to the way Cubase easily handles midi :p

Microstudio
03-03-2011, 08:56 AM
That still isnt as easy as writing drum parts in Cubase by drawing a midi region then simply using the drum stick tool to edit that drawn region, then being able to copy and paste the region as needed......maybe i need to spend some more time with the MWS demo to try some different things....I am just so aclimated to the way Cubase easily handles midi :p

Once you get your head around MWS you will see is can do what you need, but with that said MWS is missing some truly needed fundamental things that a midi editor should have and that is Regions, MWS edit view, Horizontal grid lines with note keys to the left of them. IMHO Bob could have regions in the main MWS view and keep the keyboard like it is and then in the New MWS edit view window there you would have the keyboard to the left with grid lines this would be so helpful and truly help speed up editing... I feel it in my gut that Bob is going to being added these things to MWS :)

MikeDee
03-03-2011, 09:21 AM
my 2 cents if I may?

SAW has regions for audio and if you double click on a region in SAW it opens it
in the SF view which allows you to edit down to the sample level.... this is great.

Why not keep to the theme and have regions in MWS and if you click on one it opens it up in the Midi File View?

Bob has said it is on the list many times and I think he will make it happen.

IMHO I think MWS should be included with SAW...:eek:Although I would love to be able to perform more tasks with the Select (notes) feature, rather than have to drag in the timeline to select a whole range, I, for one, would like to continue editing my MIDI right in the timeline (as in the MT for audio); I would NOT want to do my editing in a MidiFile view (in fact, I hardly use the SoundFile view).

Regions? Fine, I'm all for 'em. But please don't ask Bob to take away the current MIDI editing capabilities on the timeline. (With all due respect: this coming from a paying customer. :D)

Dave Labrecque
03-03-2011, 09:42 AM
Forgive my naïveté, gents, but what, exactly, would you hope to see and have access to in this so-called MidiFile View? :confused:

MikeDee
03-03-2011, 09:50 AM
Forgive my naïveté, gents, but what, exactly, would you hope to see and have access to in this so-called MidiFile View? :confused:+1

Microstudio
03-03-2011, 09:55 AM
Forgive my naïveté, gents, but what, exactly, would you hope to see and have access to in this so-called MidiFile View? :confused:

Its quit simple. You have regions in MWS multitrack view, you can move regions around, mix and match, copy and paste.... but what if you what to edit the data? You do one of 2 things. 1: you press an FKey which you have setup to have the MWS Edit view open huge, you edit easily the notes and then you go back to the MWS View and regions or you just double click a region and it opens the MWS Edit View. You could even have both the MWS View and the MWS Edit View open at the same time. 1 view is for MWS multitrack region editing and the other is for MWS data editing. I can name more then a handfull of DAW's out there that do just this, it is a very common theme and it makes editing and recording midi data easier plain and simple ;)

Bob L
03-03-2011, 10:26 AM
Marking an area performs the same function that copy and paste and moving regions would... I'm not sure what advantage there will be with regions except that they would be pre-marked essentially. With the grid ON... marking measures or multiple measures is a snap.

I draw drum parts or any note data now... then I can easily mark a chuck and ctrl-c to copy and ctrl-v or shift-insert down the timeline to paste and duplicate... if I select tracks then x tracks get copied and pasted at the same time down the timeline...

When you learn and understand how it all works... I bet I do the work as faster or faster than anyone else can do in any other midi sequencer.

But... I'm exploring the pre-marked region idea... its just so much extra internal database code and display code for something that really is already there.

Bob L

kylesoundman
03-03-2011, 10:42 AM
Seems as though I need to simply spend more time getting to know the demo's and just commit to the workspace that is there and adapt ......then invest in the full versions of SAW and MWS. Unfortunately i am going to have to wait until the next Xmas sale comes around again...too much other stuff I need at the moment.

Dave Labrecque
03-03-2011, 11:12 AM
Its quit simple. You have regions in MWS multitrack view, you can move regions around, mix and match, copy and paste.... but what if you what to edit the data? You do one of 2 things. 1: you press an FKey which you have setup to have the MWS Edit view open huge, you edit easily the notes and then you go back to the MWS View and regions or you just double click a region and it opens the MWS Edit View. You could even have both the MWS View and the MWS Edit View open at the same time. 1 view is for MWS multitrack region editing and the other is for MWS data editing. I can name more then a handfull of DAW's out there that do just this, it is a very common theme and it makes editing and recording midi data easier plain and simple ;)

What data would you be editing? Can't you already do that now, by selecting the note in the MT and tweaking parameters in the Top Client View area, or whatever it's called?

MikeDee
03-03-2011, 11:18 AM
Marking an area performs the same function that copy and paste and moving regions would... I'm not sure what advantage there will be with regions except that they would be pre-marked essentially. With the grid ON... marking measures or multiple measures is a snap.

I draw drum parts or any note data now... then I can easily mark a chuck and ctrl-c to copy and ctrl-v or shift-insert down the timeline to paste and duplicate... if I select tracks then x tracks get copied and pasted at the same time down the timeline...

When you learn and understand how it all works... I bet I do the work as faster or faster than anyone else can do in any other midi sequencer.

But... I'm exploring the pre-marked region idea... its just so much extra internal database code and display code for something that really is already there.

Bob LBob, I'm on board here. The only snag I run into is when I want to make changes in, say, velocity values or durations of a group of notes. Using Select doesn't work; I get a MessageBox saying I have to mark an area in the timeline. This would be ok, except that I do not want to modify a "sub-group" of notes somewhere within the middle of the marked area. So the only way I can get around this is to either mark multiple smaller areas iteratively to edit, else, mark the whole area and subsequently "unedit" the notes I didn't want modified. Enabling Select mode in this and other functions would resolve this inefficiency.

Regions would actually exacerbate this issue, as the notes would now be "canned" within the region; I'd have to split the region into smaller ones (similar to marking multiple smaller areas iteratively). Select wouldn't work at all for me, as I'd have to select the regions themselves; I would not be able to select the individual notes.

I know...enter the MidiFile view. But to me this is an extra step. I already have this "view" right in MWS as is. I personally don't need nor desire a MidiFile view (and, as mentioned previously, I hardly ever use the SoundFile view). So, speaking for myself, regions are pretty much a hindrance, rather than a help. All I need is more functionality exposed in Select mode (as explained above).

Oh, yea, and exposing the MIDI functionality to VST F/X (as was done in SAC). [Yes, I'm aware that I jumped out of MWS, back up into SS. :D]

Microstudio
03-03-2011, 01:08 PM

Bob L

Lets look at 2 scenarios... 1st the way MWS is now. I record 4 bars of some piano and in MWS I see the data represented by 50,100 ...etc Data entries on a track. Right off the bat as I look at the data I am not looking at a bar of units, I am looking at 100's of data entries and if I want to select all of them as a region of data I can Ctrl/A or I can press the S key and drag and select all. Now when I have say, intro, verse, chr, bridge.. etc data regions it becomes very difficult to differentiate all the different groups and select them.

2nd scenario... MWS with regions. I record 4 bars of a piano and when I am done I see 1 region 4 bars long that represents the 50,100..etc data entries I just recorded. Now it is very easy to select with a 1 click of the mouse, it easy to differentiate the verse from the chr, intro, bridges...ect and move them around like we do with audio. Scenario 2 is the way Reason, Pro Tools, Nuendo, Studio One, Ableton Live, Digital Performer, Logic Studio, Acid, Reaper do it and I could find more. There is a reason they all do it this way because it is easier to edit this way and IMHO the extra code needed to make it much easier to edit midi data in MWS is well worth it.

Bob I respect your frugalness with code but you have tons of code sitting in the bank it's time to spend some of it on MWS ;)

MikeDee
03-03-2011, 02:36 PM
Lets look at 2 scenarios... 1st the way MWS is now. I record 4 bars of some piano and in MWS I see the data represented by 50,100 ...etc Data entries on a track. Right off the bat as I look at the data I am not looking at a bar of units, I am looking at 100's of data entries and if I want to select all of them as a region of data I can Ctrl/A or I can press the S key and drag and select all. Now when I have say, intro, verse, chr, bridge.. etc data regions it becomes very difficult to differentiate all the different groups and select them.

2nd scenario... MWS with regions. I record 4 bars of a piano and when I am done I see 1 region 4 bars long that represents the 50,100..etc data entries I just recorded. Now it is very easy to select with a 1 click of the mouse, it easy to differentiate the verse from the chr, intro, bridges...ect and move them around like we do with audio. Scenario 2 is the way Reason, Pro Tools, Nuendo, Studio One, Ableton Live, Digital Performer, Logic Studio, Acid, Reaper do it and I could find more. There is a reason they all do it this way because it is easier to edit this way and IMHO the extra code needed to make it much easier to edit midi data in MWS is well worth it.

Bob I respect your frugalness with code but you have tons of code sitting in the bank it's time to spend some of it on MWS ;)Micro, I guess one of us is a Ford guy, the other a Chevy guy. ;)

While I agree that it is easier to visualize the "musical storyboard" with Regions...and it is perhaps one step quicker to move or copy/paste regions (Ctrl or Shift+Drag, etc. vs. mark an area, then Ctrl or Shift+Drag, etc.), the downside is that the individual notes inside a Region cannot be edited unless the Region is opened in a MidiFile view. So, in essence, the step saved by not having to mark an area has been traded for the extra step of having to open the Region in the MidiFile view.

Although we appear to have six of one and half a dozen of the other, the resulting difference is that, with Regions, note editing is no longer being done on the timeline, where I can see where I am in the song while editing. Instead, I am editing in a completely different view, limited to the notes in that Region. Well, I often find myself having to edit additional notes immediately preceding or following my originally marked area (sometimes on different tracks)...easy to do on the timeline. With Regions, however, I would have to move from the MidiFile view back to the MIDI MT view, double-click a different Region into the MidiFile view, and edit there (again, away from the timeline, "where the action is"). This is the part about Regions in MWS - and in Reason (et al) - that I don't like. (I think back to the old sequencers like Master Tracks Pro...I'm glad there were no Regions in the Piano Roll view.)

At the end of the day, I do see the value of Regions in MWS. In fact, taking it a step further, it would be great if we could create regions on the fly, at any time (after having recorded or entered the MIDI data, of course). Furthermore, it would be even greater if we could "un-Regionize", that is, remove or delete a Region - i.e., the container only - without zapping the MIDI data. This idea makes sense to me, in that the MIDI data is not subject to the same constraints as the audio data. (After all, if it were, then there would already be Regions in MWS. ;))

However it will be done...up to Bob...and I have complete faith and confidence that he will find the best way to do it. In the meantime, I'm happy to work with MWS as is. :)

Microstudio
03-03-2011, 02:51 PM
Micro, I guess one of us is a Ford guy, the other a Chevy guy. ;)

While I agree that it is easier to visualize the "musical storyboard" with Regions...and it is perhaps one step quicker to move or copy/paste regions (Ctrl or Shift+Drag, etc. vs. mark an area, then Ctrl or Shift+Drag, etc.), the downside is that the individual notes inside a Region cannot be edited unless the Region is opened in a MidiFile view. So, in essence, the step saved by not having to mark an area has been traded for the extra step of having to open the Region in the MidiFile view.

I am not a ford or a chevy guy, I am a speed guy.

There would be no extra steps as you say because you could easily make a FKey view with MWS and MWS Edit View open and then you could record into MWS, edit in MWS Edit view all on 1 page, this is the beauty of Fkey views and try as you may the whole industry has Regions and its because it is an easier more logical way to edit midi data.

Jeff Scott
03-03-2011, 03:27 PM
Let me share an intresting anecdote about MWS: I was posting some questions about Midi Tick resolution on the EZ Drummer / Superior Drummer/Toontrack Forum. In the body of my question i mentioned that I was using RML Lab's SAWStudio as my DAW. One of the respondents actually went to the SAWStudio site and downloaded the demo of both SAWStudio and MWS. It would appear that they are a ProTools user. Their impressions? They liked the workability of SAWStudio but hated MWS for all the reasons that have been outlined in this post. The lack of functionality in MWS, compared to what they have in ProTools, was the the deal breaker for this individual.

That being said...I'd like to see some more features in MWS but I am learning to work with it. Being able to drag and drop directly into MWS would be top of my list, but i understand that that would involve Windows hooks and that would slow down SAW.

Bob L
03-03-2011, 04:35 PM
Micro,

You can mark bars of music easily with the B and E key... with the grid active its very precise and fast... then you can copy and paste large chunks the same as if they were regions.

Mike,

If you want to select individual notes with Select Mode and change the velocity... simply select them and change the velocity in the top client area of the key note (white selection)... then all selected notes will change... you do not use the Modify menu... that is for marked areas.

As far as a Midi File view... not needed... my idea for regions would be super-imposed blocks over the current midi note view... then you could edit individual notes or turn on Region mode and grab region blocks.

Bob L

Naturally Digital
03-03-2011, 04:44 PM
But... I'm exploring the pre-marked region idea... its just so much extra internal database code and display code for something that really is already there.I don't see regions as being all that applicable for midi editing. The main idea I see is to easily select and move around chunks of data. As an alternative to regions, has anyone considered a note grouping feature similar to grouping regions in SAW?

What I feel would be useful is to define chunks of note data through time, across tracks etc and save these as units for recall later. It would speed up operations such as selecting and copying, pasting and moving sections of a tune (verse, chorus etc). The idea being to easily select hundreds or thousands of notes anywhere, on any track, with a mouse click or two.

If you ask me, this is one of the missing elements and I don't see how adding regions is going to change this much. This is solved in SAWStudio by the select groups.

Naturally Digital
03-03-2011, 04:50 PM
At the end of the day, I do see the value of Regions in MWS. In fact, taking it a step further, it would be great if we could create regions on the fly, at any time (after having recorded or entered the MIDI data, of course). Furthermore, it would be even greater if we could "un-Regionize", that is, remove or delete a Region - i.e., the container only - without zapping the MIDI data. This idea makes sense to me, in that the MIDI data is not subject to the same constraints as the audio data. (After all, if it were, then there would already be Regions in MWS. ;))+1 - similar idea here.

matt
03-03-2011, 04:52 PM
my idea for regions would be super-imposed blocks over the current midi note view... then you could edit individual notes or turn on Region mode and grab region blocks.

Nice!

Naturally Digital
03-03-2011, 04:55 PM
If you want to select individual notes with Select Mode and change the velocity... simply select them and change the velocity in the top client area of the key note (white selection)... then all selected notes will change...If it were possible to save this selection, I think it would really help.

As far as a Midi File view... not needed... my idea for regions would be super-imposed blocks over the current midi note view... then you could edit individual notes or turn on Region mode and grab region blocks.Nice!

Microstudio
03-03-2011, 05:29 PM
As far as a Midi File view... not needed... my idea for regions would be super-imposed blocks over the current midi note view... then you could edit individual notes or turn on Region mode and grab region blocks.

Bob L

Thats great a region mode fine by me and horizontal grid lines would be great.

Make it happen! :)

Dave Labrecque
03-03-2011, 10:53 PM
I don't see regions as being all that applicable for midi editing. The main idea I see is to easily select and move around chunks of data. As an alternative to regions, has anyone considered a note grouping feature similar to grouping regions in SAW?

What I feel would be useful is to define chunks of note data through time, across tracks etc and save these as units for recall later. It would speed up operations such as selecting and copying, pasting and moving sections of a tune (verse, chorus etc). The idea being to easily select hundreds or thousands of notes anywhere, on any track, with a mouse click or two.

If you ask me, this is one of the missing elements and I don't see how adding regions is going to change this much. This is solved in SAWStudio by the select groups.

+1

I've been thinking along the same lines. The somewhat pedestrian (in my view) MWS regions approach as outlined elsewhere in this thread seems to act very much like a marked area, including all notes therein. Your idea, much like the region groups in SAW's MT, is superior, since you can select any notes you want, deselect any notes you don't want, and not be limited to the sweep of the marked area, which is all-inclusive and has rigid, "vertical" left and right boundaries.

Microstudio
03-04-2011, 06:13 AM
Regions in MWS wether by means of a "Regions Mode" or by other means is a most, its just that simple and so are horizontal grid lines.

Grekim
03-04-2011, 08:03 AM
Regions in MWS wether by means of a "Regions Mode" or by other means is a most, its just that simple and so are horizontal grid lines.

I don't think it's simple. And why do you need horizontal gridlines? When you shift-drag, the pitch stays where it should.

Top of my list for MWS would an ability to link marked areas between SAW and MWS. This has to be easy to do and would streamline midi/audio editing big time.

Microstudio
03-04-2011, 08:52 AM
I don't think it's simple. And why do you need horizontal gridlines? When you shift-drag, the pitch stays where it should.

It is a simple concept to understand I am not talking about the code but then every other DAW out there has regions and horizontal grid lines and they coded it so it can be done. If you can not understand why it would be easier to edit WITH horizontal grid lines words are not going to help you understand ;)

Bob L
03-04-2011, 09:32 AM
Sorry Micro... why would I want to clutter up my screen with horizontal grid lines that offer no useful function... I personally love the fact that the screen stays uncluttered and as I drag the cursor it snaps to the grid lines anyway... why do I need to see them?

Just because every other system did it does not necessarily make it a good idea. :)

Bob L

MikeDee
03-04-2011, 11:06 AM
Micro,

You can mark bars of music easily with the B and E key... with the grid active its very precise and fast... then you can copy and paste large chunks the same as if they were regions.

Mike,

If you want to select individual notes with Select Mode and change the velocity... simply select them and change the velocity in the top client area of the key note (white selection)... then all selected notes will change... you do not use the Modify menu... that is for marked areas.

Bob LExcellent, Bob! The functionality is already there in Select Mode...I'll revisit this tonight. :)

Excellent again! Your Region idea is along the lines of what I described previously...and then some. :)

Thanks and best regards,

Microstudio
03-04-2011, 12:08 PM
Sorry Micro... why would I want to clutter up my screen with horizontal grid lines that offer no useful function... I personally love the fact that the screen stays uncluttered and as I drag the cursor it snaps to the grid lines anyway... why do I need to see them?

Just because every other system did it does not necessarily make it a good idea. :)

Bob L

Bob the reason why is because in MWS the only visual reference we have when moving data or inputing date is the keyboard up on the top which makes it very hard to correspond to the note data you are moving or drawing down in the multitrack. If we had horizontal grid lines at least we could follow them and this would make it easier & very useful ;)

P.S Thanks for taking the time Bob to join in on this discussion.

Bob L
03-04-2011, 12:12 PM
When moving data the data is constrained to the pitch or position based on the use of the shift or ctrl keys... again... no need to clutter the screen with lines in my opinion.

And... I would much rather observe notes on the virtual keyboard in its current orientation than the typical keyboard up the left side of the screen in a completely un-natural orientation from what you actually play as a performer.

I did it differently because I personally did not like the way all the others are designed... that's why MWS exists in the first place... otherwise, I would just use one of the others.

Bob L

Microstudio
03-04-2011, 12:24 PM
When moving data the data is constrained to the pitch or position based on the use of the shift or ctrl keys... again... no need to clutter the screen with lines in my opinion.

And... I would much rather observe notes on the virtual keyboard in its current orientation than the typical keyboard up the left side of the screen in a completely un-natural orientation from what you actually play as a performer.

I did it differently because I personally did not like the way all the others are designed... that's why MWS exists in the first place... otherwise, I would just use one of the others.

Bob L

Moving data is not the same as drawing it in and without at least the grid lines it makes it much harder. I never thought you would put a keyboard on the left side I am just asking for grid lines.

Grekim
03-04-2011, 12:50 PM
Micro...how about MWS's step record (not step draw) for entry of notes?

Bob L
03-04-2011, 12:53 PM
When you draw data in... are you using an F-Key view with one or two large midi tracks... it makes it pretty easy that way... and make sure you have the engine live when using vst symths so you can hear the note as you draw... with hardware synths you can always hear it.

I must say, as much as I have drawn data, I have never felt the need to see lines as a guide to dropping the correct notes... I use my ears and I am looking at the keyboard to see the notes.

But... I will consider an option... and I now realize you are referring to lines that reference pitch... not time... which is what I imagined when you said grid lines.

Bob L

Microstudio
03-04-2011, 01:04 PM
When you draw data in... are you using an F-Key view with one or two large midi tracks... it makes it pretty easy that way... and make sure you have the engine live when using vst symths so you can hear the note as you draw... with hardware synths you can always hear it.

I must say, as much as I have drawn data, I have never felt the need to see lines as a guide to dropping the correct notes... I use my ears and I am looking at the keyboard to see the notes.

But... I will consider an option... and I now realize you are referring to lines that reference pitch... not time... which is what I imagined when you said grid lines.

Bob L

Yes its all about the pitch...I do have an F-Key view open, I made a video doing just as you say. An option to have them on or off would be great just like the regions mode you talked about. Thanks for taking the time to understand Bob.

RobertV
03-05-2011, 07:19 PM
Bob;

While the discussion is around MWS, Are there any plans to introduce drum maps?
Just realized, that this is visually hard to do due to the fact that the keyboard is separate from the grid. Anyway, some way of quickly recognizing the percussion instrument triggered by the particular note value.
Not a show stopper by any means, just a convenience.

Thanks.. Robert V.