PDA

View Full Version : laptop interface?

Oz Nimbus
12-24-2009, 10:09 AM
Hey all, looking at getting a laptop as I've got an overseas project coming up this summer...

Just curious as to any recommendations for an interface that'll give me 16 Adat inputs... and isn't as big as a fireface800

-0z-

Bob L
12-24-2009, 10:36 AM
RME Cardbus or PCIExpress solution... 24 chans... stable... hard to beat.

Bob L

Bill Park
12-25-2009, 10:04 PM
Hey all, looking at getting a laptop as I've got an overseas project coming up this summer...

Just curious as to any recommendations for an interface that'll give me 16 Adat inputs... and isn't as big as a fireface800

-0z-

The RME PCI card, with a Digiface, which is half the size of the Fireface. But the Fireface brings an awful lot to the table in terms of convenience, and isn't really that big. (and I'm selling mine....)

Richard Rupert
12-26-2009, 08:19 AM
The RME PCI card, with a Digiface, which is half the size of the Fireface. But the Fireface brings an awful lot to the table in terms of convenience, and isn't really that big. (and I'm selling mine....)
How much are you asking for it, Bill?

IraSeigel
12-26-2009, 08:37 AM

Just to be clear -
Oz asked about a laptop solution. His RME choices for a Digiface would be a PC Card (Cardbus), or an ExpressCard, depending on his laptop (or, in the case of some Thinkpads with both slots, either card would work). A PCI card wouldn't be an option.

Just curious, Oz. What AD converters are you using to get your ADAT outputs?

Ira

Bill Park
12-26-2009, 10:01 AM
Ira,

Yes, typing too fast. PC card. I had the old PCMCIA for using the Multface and the Digiface with my laptop, and the PCI card for the Digiface at its typical home in the studio.

I moved to the Fireface for its wider choice of options for remote recording. Now that I'm not doing remotes ....

Bill Park
12-26-2009, 10:05 AM
How much are you asking for it, Bill?

Int he last few weeks on ebay they have sold from the high $900s to the mid $1300s. I'm asking $1100 plus shipping, which won't be that much to most places in the continental US.

Oz Nimbus
12-27-2009, 12:07 PM
Just to be clear -
Oz asked about a laptop solution. His RME choices for a Digiface would be a PC Card (Cardbus), or an ExpressCard, depending on his laptop (or, in the case of some Thinkpads with both slots, either card would work). A PCI card wouldn't be an option.

Just curious, Oz. What AD converters are you using to get your ADAT outputs?

Ira

The studio i'll be interfacing with has Apogee AD/DA 16's.

The issue is, I don't want to throw my fireface in my carry-on luggage, if you know what I mean...

Mark Stebbeds
12-27-2009, 03:21 PM
You could FedEx or UPS (or whatever shipper) to the studio a day or so before you leave. I've done that with gear several times.

Mark

Bill Park
12-27-2009, 03:35 PM
... I don't want to throw my fireface in my carry-on luggage, if you know what I mean...

ahhh... well, I carry stuff like that all the time. I really got some odd looks when I had a bag of audio gear, but the (at the time) current Springsteen tour pass was on the bag, which went a long way towards smoothing things over.
Another thought would be a 2 rack space shoulder bag. Fits in the overhead no sweat. (I've got a 4 space one, but I've not tried to travel with it.)

One thing I know, is that you dfo not want to try to put the gear in any sort of ATA flight case. These days it appears to be an invitation to abuse.

I know that it is costly, but why not pack it into a regular suitcase and let the baggage handlers at it? Padded out by your shorts and such, it should survive okay. And it is still cheaper than buying a new interface. I send our laptops that way, packed in among the bathing suits and beach towels in a soft sided case. (so that it doesn't spring open.) Quite a few trips to Florida, LA, Nashville, and the Dominican Republic, no mishaps so far.

Shipping to Europe on a time-table is dicey at best.

Oz Nimbus
12-27-2009, 09:26 PM
Thanks for the tips, guys!

Oz Nimbus
12-28-2009, 08:43 PM
Just tried Saw on the wife's laptop.... turns out it has the dreaded Ricoh chipset <shudder> and it's dropout city. Even with everything turned off.

Plan B is to see if I can fit my portable computer for live gigs (LAN case, very fast AMD chip, and loaded with an HDSP9652) into some sort of carry on luggage. Should be small enough.

Hopefully I won't get too many questions from the customs guys....

Dave Labrecque
12-28-2009, 09:14 PM
Just tried Saw on the wife's laptop.... turns out it has the dreaded Ricoh chipset <shudder> and it's dropout city. Even with everything turned off.

Plan B is to see if I can fit my portable computer for live gigs (LAN case, very fast AMD chip, and loaded with an HDSP9652) into some sort of carry on luggage. Should be small enough.

Hopefully I won't get too many questions from the customs guys....

Just don't strap it to your body under your clothes. They kind of frown on that (this week)...