PDA

View Full Version : Cue Sheet Generator weirdness

Dave Labrecque
12-27-2004, 02:39 PM
Or is it a SAW thing?

I had two separate SAW sessions, each containing an act from a 2-act live kids song and dance show. Each representing a CD to be burned (using CSG). I thought, why not build-to-FX-modules at the same time (each in a separate instance of SAW)? So I did it.

There were some weird things. Parts of the build for CD 1 seemed to have overlapping audio, or audio that was superimposed from two different parts of the session -- different than the way the session was layed out for sure. I rebuilt the CD track files that were goofy. Fine. Maybe you're not supposed to do simultaneous SAW builds like this?

Then there was CD 2, in which each of the built sound files started 4.82 seconds into the track and ended with 4.82 seconds of the start of what should've been the next track replacing what should've been the final 4.82 seconds of the file. Dig?

Anyway, for this CD 2 problem I found that I continued to get the same result when doing the CSG build each time UNTIL I chose not to minimize SAW (by hitting enter when the build progress indicator is running) while the build was happening. When I left it alone, the build came out right.

Anyone else have this kind of thing happen?

Bob L
12-27-2004, 06:00 PM
Dave,

These kinds of things can happen when minimizing or switching to other apps under certain types of operations... which is why I never recommend doing so... a lot less troubles if you just back away while building mixes or doing the recording process.

Windows can stop threads cold when minimizing and perhaps something like that is happening to the burner thread.

Bob L

Dave Labrecque
12-28-2004, 12:54 PM
Windows can stop threads cold when minimizing and perhaps something like that is happening to the burner thread. Bob,

When you say 'the burner thread', do you mean while burning the CD? Because all the strange stuff I'm seeing is happening before I burn, during the build to FX modules, i.e., while generating the track sound files and cue sheet with CSG in SAW.

Or are you saying any time one switches apps or minimizes SAW during a build operation, the processing can get screwy? :(

Bob L
12-28-2004, 04:34 PM
Windows is a strange beast... when doing specific functions, I would highly recommend treating it with gentleness.

Sit back while recording... building mixes, burning cds and so forth... just amounts to less trouble in my experience.

I don't know specifically about the CSG software and what might interfere... but my guess is that SAW's engine has nothing to do with it and the cue sheets it generates... SAW simply builds the mix... and hopefully the exact same sample for sample mix everytime you run the build.

Bob L

MMP
12-28-2004, 05:32 PM
I had a cue sheet go bad in the last version of SS before the sample rate conversion problem was fixed (at least, I think that was the cause)...could this be your problem as well?

Regards,

MM

TotalSonic
12-28-2004, 06:20 PM
probably doesn't apply to your problem - but I've also had strangely corrupted Build to FX mixes from the use of the JMS Audioware's RC Delays feedback automations also.

Even though most modern DAW's have more than enough speed to deal with burning and multitasking I still make it a strict practice to not do anything else during burning a master - better safe than sorry!

Best regards,
Steve Berson

Mountain Media
12-29-2004, 04:02 AM
Anyway, for this CD 2 problem I found that I continued to get the same result when doing the CSG build each time UNTIL I chose not to minimize SAW (by hitting enter when the build progress indicator is running) while the build was happening. When I left it alone, the build came out right.

Anyone else have this kind of thing happen?Dave, again, since you were not burning when this happened, and you were minimizing SAW (doing screen activity) seems like Bob's response about possible problems when Windows is minimizing or swapping apps. sure sounds like the reason.

I ALWAYS move away (sometimes literally) from the keyboard/mouse when doing Build to FX - Build to Soundfile operations, or while burning a CD. These are all serial read/write and Windows can do enough to mess them up, without my adding to it by requesting more 'things' from Windows.

Dave Labrecque
12-29-2004, 11:01 AM
Michael,

Not using any SRC in this EDL.

Dave Labrecque
12-29-2004, 11:03 AM
Hmph. Never had a problem with anything like this before. I burn in the background. Build mixes in the background all the time. I even record in the background sometimes (non-critical stuff). Guess I'll start being more careful.

Dave Labrecque
12-29-2004, 11:06 AM
Wow. This is the first I hear of this kind of thing. And I'm hearing it from several of you. I really thought individual processing data streams were kept nice 'n' tidy. How tough could it be? Now it sounds like I was really asking for trouble by doing two builds in separate instances of SAW at the same time. :eek:

Naturally Digital
12-29-2004, 11:29 AM
Wow. This is the first I hear of this kind of thing. And I'm hearing it from several of you. I really thought individual processing data streams were kept nice 'n' tidy. How tough could it be? Now it sounds like I was really asking for trouble by doing two builds in separate instances of SAW at the same time. :eek:Hi Dave,

Were you doing any of your (recent) pitch-shift/time-shifting in these two edl's? I wonder if that could have caused a problem...

Is this repeatable? If so, I suggest removing any plugins (one at a time) until you see a difference.

I'm pretty baffled by this, unless there is some kind of memory conflict between the two instances of SAWStudio.

I'd suggest some more testing...

Listen well,
Dave.

Dave Labrecque
12-29-2004, 04:31 PM
Were you doing any of your (recent) pitch-shift/time-shifting in these two edl's? I wonder if that could have caused a problem...

Is this repeatable? If so, I suggest removing any plugins (one at a time) until you see a difference.
No pitching/time compressing of any sort. Just a bunch of regions layed out with a little automation, some SoftEdges, and the CSG indexes.

The shifted index thing was repeatable. When I minimized SAW during the build to FX modules, it happened. When I didn't minimize SAW, it was fine.

The previous thing about getting funky mixed up audio data while running two builds simultaneously is only a guess. I didn't try it again, and I just have too much going on, I'm afraid, to give it any more time.

I guess I'll just have to beware... :eek: :confused: