PDA

View Full Version : Hey Bob - Dumb EDL Question

Bulldog
12-27-2004, 06:27 PM
I goofed. I had a last minute overdub at the end of a session late one night. I think I split the region on the track, and dragged the section to be replaced to an empty track. Then I recorded the overdub to the original track.

Weeks later, I started mixing and somehow convinced myself I had recorded the overdub to the empty track and proceded to replace my dub with the old region and "Saved As" a new EDL. OOPS!

Anyway, I can think of several ways to get my dub back. However the more I read here, the more I realize I am doing the hard way lots of times. So, what is the simplest solution here?

Thanks in advance.

Bulldog

Arco
12-27-2004, 06:58 PM
I think you're OK.

1)Isn't the old edl still intact? A save-as doesn't erase the old edl it just saves it. If you made a change and then save-as i could see how you might lose the change...so here's another solution:

Go to wherever you keep your UNDO files. (Options/File Path Setup)
Sort by "Name" and find OLDEDLNAME.*
Set the window so you can see the "details" of the file.
Depending on how many undo files you've setup you should see a list of files, one or more of which should solve your problem. Try the one that is most recent (see time indication.) It should have that last region split, new overdub region.

---if for some reason your undo files are gone--

the new overdub created on a blank track should have a soundfile associated with it that still exists even though there may be no region anymore. open it up in soundfile view a recreate a region to insert.

Bob L
12-27-2004, 10:15 PM
You also have the possibility that the correct Region still exists in the Regions view... unless you physically deleted the Region, the MT entry does not destroy the original Region..

You should see it in the Regions View and it should also have the @ symbol next to it, which lets you know this was a recorded dub straight to SAWStudio...

Simply pick a track, and use the Shift when you click the insert to MT button from the Regions view... it will snap the region on the new track in its exact original recorded sample position.

Bob L

Burkeville
12-28-2004, 11:50 AM
My edl technique seems wastful, but here goes.
Everytime I do a session I save the edl with a different number.

song1session1 song1session2 song1session3 etc. I also save all the undo files.

This may drive some people crazy with so many little files but it has saved me now and then.