PDA

View Full Version : SAWStudio MT....warm sound..

bertie
12-29-2004, 07:35 AM
Hi Bob, :)

Last night i noticed that when i add the wave file to the MT and i play it dry as it is, it has much warmer sound comparing to the SoundFile playback. I played it in both MT and SF and the difference is noticeable...im my opinion :)

Immediately i started comparing SF playback with other DAW's and they sound totally the same with SF, but when i played back in the MT then........wow........warm tube sound comparing to others :)

So the question is : How does SAWStudio treats MT and SF playback....technically :confused:

Thanks in advance,

Bertie,

Leadfoot
12-29-2004, 09:38 AM
[QUOTE=bertie]Hi Bob, :)

Last night i noticed that when i add the wave file to the MT and i play it dry as it is, it has much warmer sound comparing to the SoundFile playback. I played it in both MT and SF and the difference is noticeable...im my opinion :)

Immediately i started comparing SF playback with other DAW's and they sound totally the same with SF, but when i played back in the MT then........wow........warm tube sound comparing to others :)

So the question is : How does SAWStudio treats MT and SF playback....technically :confused:

More and more I'm trying to get away from having to know exactly HOW everything works.(overload) Now, all I care is that it works. But if you have to know how the magician does his magic.. actually the soundfile view plays the raw soundfile from disk, and the multitrack has an actual neve 1072 preamp at the input gain stage of every channel :) ...............yeah that's it.

Tony

Bob L
12-29-2004, 10:34 AM
Actually Bertie there should be no difference between the two unless you perhaps have some processing added, that includes the soft-clipping... any level changes, etc.

If the MT has everything set to zero db and no eq and so forth, with soft-clipping OFF, a straight playback should be the same as the SF view.

The SF view plays the data raw... the MT will add processing, if set.

Also, the SF plays at the original sample rate, the MT will SRC if the file and MT rate are different. Depending on the SRC quality setting, you could hear differences. Also, if the MT is set to 16 bit res and dither is active, you will be hearing the dither on a 24 bit file, where the SF will be playing the 24 bit file straight at 24.

Not quite sure what might cause the differences you are perceiving.

Bob L

bertie
12-29-2004, 11:51 AM
You're right...as always ;) ,

My "Multitrack Soft-Clipping" was On.... :o

Thanks,

Bertie,

AudioAstronomer
12-29-2004, 11:56 AM
Bob, does multitrack soft-clipping have effect when the file is not clipping? Ive noticed a change in sound with files that arent clipping... at least I think so!?! My wife made mention of it too so I dont think Im crazy. I just leave it on because I love the sound of it hah :)

Im sick today otherwise Id double check it... im pretty sure we've gone over this bit before though.

Bob L
12-29-2004, 01:03 PM
Nope... if the signal does not clip... the soft-clip has no effect... so possibly more of that imaginary better or worse syndrome that so frequently plauges the audio industry.

Or else, something else is affecting the sound.

Bob L

Yura
12-29-2004, 04:32 PM
If your signal's path from SF and from MT is the same, and all track-chanel's settings are initial, there is no difference in the sound, no difference.