PDA

View Full Version : VST's that work/don't

gdougherty
01-07-2010, 11:58 AM
From my own testing with the engine live and on a scratch session, here's what I've tested. I'm testing with the engine live, adding a plugin from the remote, opening the GUI on both the host and remote, modifying all the parameters from the remote then right-clicking to update the host. I verify that all parameters correctly update onto the host.

VST things that work:
Kjaerhus Classic Chorus - 100***37;
Kjaerhus Classic Flanger - 100%
Kjaerhus Classic Phaser - 100%
Kjaerhus Classic Reverb - 100%
Dual Linkwitz-Riley Filters - 100%
Electri-Q (posihfopit edition) - 100%
GVST Chorus - 100%
Reaper EQ - 100%
Reaper Gate - 100%
Reaper XComp - 100%
Silverspike RubyTube - 100%
Voxengo TubeAmp - 100%

VST things that don't work:
Reverberate LE - Catastrophic crash of the remote if loaded on the host before activating the remote. Parameters will not update even if it doesn't crash.
Reverberate 1.250 - Catastrophic crash of the remote if loaded on the host before activating the remote. Parameters will not update even if it doesn't crash.
TapeIt - File location and record state not updatable.
Wormhole 2 - Two instances of the same plugin trying to act as the start point to an audio tunnel confuses the endpoint and I've been unable to get things working. The host won't even update if there's already an endpoint waiting to make a connection and the SACRemote instance is configured correctly. Wormhole2 will still work on the host, just don't install it for use in SACRemote.

Feel free to add other items you've tested to this thread.

Update: More detail added on Reverberate. I'm also guessing that all the Kjaerhus Classic plugins will work fine, as will the free zero latency Reaper plugins based on the results of others. Test them, but there's a good chance they'll be fine.

Carl G.
01-07-2010, 12:52 PM
Good idea.
I'll sort out some later to add.

dbarrow
01-07-2010, 10:11 PM
WaveArts Masterverb 5 seems to work quite well. I added it to a channel, changed parameters, updated, removed it, put it back etc. No problems.

Chorus Ensemble seemed to work correctly.

112db Redline Reverb loaded, but changing parameters didn't seem to take. I remember I had trouble with it before all the FX parameters/scene change issues were solved. I like the way it sounds, but it has been trouble on multiple fronts.

I'll look for some more to check. I mostly use Bob's plugins for most things now, anyway. I can't wait to use the EQ this weekend!

gdougherty
01-08-2010, 11:10 AM
I mostly use Bob's plugins for most things now, anyway. I can't wait to use the EQ this weekend!

I'm moving that way, especially now since they update immediately and affect the signal as you're adjusting.

dbarrow
01-08-2010, 01:58 PM
I'm moving that way, especially now since they update immediately and affect the signal as you're adjusting.
I do think it is shear genius how Bob got the other plugins to work by having a copy running on the remote and then updating the remote as if the remote plugin was just saving automation data (I'm guessing that's how it works). Hmmm, maybe SACRemote could work like a DAW that was writing automation data off a plugin (but really sending it across the network) and then the host could be "playing back" that automation data, but it would really be in realtime.

gdougherty
01-08-2010, 02:30 PM
I do think it is shear genius how Bob got the other plugins to work by having a copy running on the remote and then updating the remote as if the remote plugin was just saving automation data (I'm guessing that's how it works). Hmmm, maybe SACRemote could work like a DAW that was writing automation data off a plugin (but really sending it across the network) and then the host could be "playing back" that automation data, but it would really be in realtime.

In theory it could work, I'd guess Bob tried an implementation similar to that. The worry I'd think would be in the loss of packet data causing two plugins to get out of sync. If it were sending absolute values that may be workable but I'd guess there's some issue on control and maybe even if multiple people try getting into a plugin from remotes to adjust the same or different parameters.

Carl G.
01-09-2010, 09:00 AM
oops... I see you're wanting to test 'remote' action with these plugins...
I was only interested in 'grouping' the plugins (VST or DX) that work from those that don't in SAC (so only the usables show up in the various categories I set up).

Bob L
01-09-2010, 09:10 AM
Any plug that does not play nice with the remote should be un-installed from the remote... otherwise you could cause instability.

Bob L

hclague
01-09-2010, 12:10 PM
Drumagog was giving me issues last night. It works fine on the host in v2.2. I had Drumagog inserted on a channel in the host. I was trying to update a DIFFERENT known good plugin from the remote by clicking on the blue triangle. The pop up comes up on the Remote saying the Host has been successfully updated but when I go to the host there is a pop up displaying some message about Drumagog:confused: not being compatible with something and when I clear that message, and got to look at the plug I was trying to change the changes did not come through. I go back to the remote and now the link for that plugin does not work any more until I clear out the Drumagog Plug on the Host and restart SAC remote.

Hal

gdougherty
01-09-2010, 03:12 PM
Drumagog was giving me issues last night. It works fine on the host in v2.2. I had Drumagog inserted on a channel in the host. I was trying to update a DIFFERENT known good plugin from the remote by clicking on the blue triangle. The pop up comes up on the Remote saying the Host has been successfully updated but when I go to the host there is a pop up displaying some message about Drumagog:confused: not being compatible with something and when I clear that message, and got to look at the plug I was trying to change the changes did not come through. I go back to the remote and now the link for that plugin does not work any more until I clear out the Drumagog Plug on the Host and restart SAC remote.

Hal

Will Drumagog at least play nicely if you don't have it installed on the remote?

gdougherty
01-30-2010, 10:51 PM
Update on Reverberate LE. I discovered I'd been testing things in a poor order and the LE version does not crash SACRemote. SAC 2.5's doubled network buffers now allow Reverberate LE to be properly remote conrtolled as well. Only caveat is to ensure your impulse responses are in the same directories on the host and remote. Bad things may happen otherwise.

quaizywabbit
01-31-2010, 02:56 AM
just out of curiousity Bob, when remoting via SACRemotes as well as any plugins, are they ALL sharing the same port?

Wondering if available bandwidth isn't foobaring things......

just for futureproofing, instead of a single port, define port 'ranges' for similar features between host, remotes, and plugs..

not too unlike certain apps that are router intensive.........high priority bandwidth would go to realtime stuff like meters on its own dedicated port. The rest would be on its own port(s), not interfering with real-time collection on real-time ports. The intermittent data, from user input, could rely on a separate port range. Each port setup to expect exactly the kind of data it needs to see....

SRM
01-31-2010, 06:12 AM
Its great to know what plugins others have had success with and also failures.

I would be nice if this thread was a sticky.

-srm

Bob L
01-31-2010, 08:15 AM
On my system tests, remotes are generally using less than 1% of a gigabit network... and about 1 or 2% of a 100 mb network... hardly a bogdown in my opinion. :)

Network issues seem to have more to do with network cards entering power saving modes... and wireless connections all of a sudden dropping to no signal... etc.

Bob L

IraSeigel
02-02-2010, 10:38 PM
I can vouch for apTrigga2, a sample trigger program: http://www.apulsoft.ch/aptrigga/index.php

Zero latency, 2 instances on a SAC gig with no problems at all, very low resources usage. Inexpensive compared to Drumagog. Fairly small GUI, and the controls are pretty easy to understand.

Ira

gdougherty
02-02-2010, 11:01 PM
I can vouch for apTrigga2, a sample trigger program: http://www.apulsoft.ch/aptrigga/index.php

Zero latency, 2 instances on a SAC gig with no problems at all, very low resources usage. Inexpensive compared to Drumagog. Fairly small GUI, and the controls are pretty easy to understand.

Ira

It works in the host, does it work for remote control? That was the reason behind me starting this thread.

IraSeigel
02-02-2010, 11:06 PM
It works in the host, does it work for remote control? That was the reason behind me starting this thread.

Ah, well I didn't read your original post. Sorry. I just read the Topic.

I didn't test it using remote control. Do you want me to delete my post?

Ira

Bob L
02-03-2010, 12:43 AM
Why would you need remote control of it... its a trigger... set it and leave it alone... you can control the input level to make slight adjustments in trigger using the SAC Attenuator control.

Bob L

gdougherty
02-03-2010, 08:56 AM
Meh, as I think about it, the thread is probably more useful as a catch all for plugins.