PDA

View Full Version : Replacing Ear Pads on Sony MDR-V6

Mark Stebbeds
01-08-2010, 04:29 PM
A while back someone posted a link to instructions on how to replace the ears pads on the V6. I've done a search, but can't seem to find it.

I just got a replacement set, and don't want to get heavy handed and break the plastic on the headphones.

Any ideas?

Mark

EDIT: Well, I managed to replace them by stretching the fabric of the earpad, but I was afraid I was going to rip them. If any one can come up with those instructions, I seem to remember a trick that made it easier. Maybe not.

Himhui
01-08-2010, 07:35 PM
Let your wife do that ....:D

IraSeigel
01-09-2010, 08:01 AM
Let your wife do that ....:D

Yes, and get her to coil all the mic cables, too. Over, under...

Now, if she could only drive the truck.......
:)

Mark Stebbeds
01-09-2010, 09:50 AM
Yes, and get her to coil all the mic cables, too. Over, under...

It takes a road dog to know about the over, under mic cable wrapping technique ...and how to toss one eind across the stage to unwrap.:)

Mark

IraSeigel
01-09-2010, 09:56 AM
It takes a road dog to know about the over, under mic cable wrapping technique ...and how to toss one eind across the stage to unwrap.:)

Mark

Bow wow...:cool:

bcorkery
01-09-2010, 10:45 AM
On a similar but different note, what's the best solution for cleaning headphones after a particularly long sweaty session. Disinfectant wipes seem a bit harsh and may lead to needing to change the pads more often.

Sorry I'm no help with your question Mark. :o

Tim Miskimon
01-09-2010, 11:05 AM
I use alcohol pads - some say it dries out the pad but some of my headphones are over 10 years old without any issues.
How long are they gonna last anyway?
At least It gets rid of the hair gel & ear wax...
I replaced my Sony V6 pads last year (after 15 years of use) - just like Mark explained - no problems.

Mark Stebbeds
01-09-2010, 11:07 AM
On a similar but different note, what's the best solution for cleaning headphones after a particularly long sweaty session. Disinfectant wipes seem a bit harsh and may lead to needing to change the pads more often.

...or after a session with guys that use gobs of greasy hair products ...ugh...

Those wipes are handy and probably not any worse than anything else. I've used paper towels and Windex.

Has any seen those cloth coverings for the earpieces? I used a pair last week on a location job, and they sort of took away the built in fit of the ear sitting in the opening ..making them more prone to slide off your head when moving around, but may work great and be more comfortable if you're sitting still ...and will give the ear piece longer life ..and you can rinse them out with soap and water.

Mark

Dan Hauck
01-09-2010, 12:35 PM
A lot of things are like that but it's like taking a shower with a raincoat on....

ivanoff
01-09-2010, 01:33 PM
Go to www.bhphoto.com (http://www.bhphoto.com/), search for dt-250 v6 replacement pad

bcorkery
01-09-2010, 02:46 PM
I've used paper towels and Windex. Mark ... you sure you didn't use MAC-dex? :D

Mark Stebbeds
01-09-2010, 03:19 PM
Mark ... you sure you didn't use MAC-dex? :D

LOL!! But you gave me an idea on how to relabel the bottle.:)

When I worked at a popular recording studio owned by some Mexican investors, we used thin black tape to rename all of the 480L and 224 rack boxes Mexicon.

Funny stuff. I should have been a comedian.

Mark

ivanoff
01-09-2010, 03:26 PM
from a thread on the web, i didn't understand your request

Hello to all who have exhausted all avenues seeking instructions on how to remove and replace Ear Pads on Sony MDR-V6 Headphones.... All that is required is a little patience maybe some fingernails... The Pads simply slip on and off by pinching ends of cuff that is nearest the plastic backing of The Headphones by pulling them from their seat/flange .. i found it easiest to just roll the cuff off using my thumb w/rolling motion away from the plastic backing/housing of the headphones.. no tools required.. they are installed exactally like one would place a tire on a rim.. exact same motion is required as when removing a tire.. i can give no better illustruction than comparrison to tire removal and replacement. Be careful to make sure one end in completely set deeply into one side before attempting to pull opposing side over its side/flange..start on top and work way around to bottom or vise versa.. To get an idea of what you are attempting to do take a close look at new headphone pad rear and you will see the small flap of leather on rear .. there is a small overlap that fits perfectly over the flange.. dont try to force it as you may tear them...

William Bushnell
01-10-2010, 05:58 PM
Here is some other sources for MDR-V6 replacement ear pads.

http://partsearch-technologies.amazonwebstore.com/Sony-211566803-SONY-211566803-EAR-PAD/M/B001DFX2OC.htm

http://www.amazon.com/211566803-Sony-Replacement-MDR-7506-Headphones/dp/B001DFX2OC

studio-c
01-17-2010, 11:10 PM
...or after a session with guys that use gobs of greasy hair products ...ugh...

Mark

I'm probably dating myself here, but we used to record a lot of funk bands in the 70s. Jheri Curl just DRIPPING off the headphones. It was pretty nasty.

The music was good though :)

bcorkery
01-18-2010, 11:26 AM
Jheri Curl just DRIPPING off the headphones.Eeeewwwwuuuu! TMI :p

Mark Stebbeds
01-18-2010, 11:30 AM
I'm probably dating myself here, but we used to record a lot of funk bands in the 70s. Jheri Curl just DRIPPING off the headphones. It was pretty nasty.

Yep, that's what I meant.:)

Mark