PDA

View Full Version : Best way to set up mono outputs?

IraSeigel
01-14-2010, 05:28 PM
I'd like to set up a combination of stereo and mono outputs:

Mains on stereo device 01/02
Subs on mono device 03
Monitor mix 1 on mono device 04
Monitor mix 2 on mono device 05
etc.

To use device 03 as mono, do I need to simply pan the output to L? And then to use device 04 as mono, do I need to pan the output to R?

Otherwise, I don't see a way to separate the 03-04 (etc) pairing.

Thanks,
Ira

905shmick
01-14-2010, 05:53 PM
I'd like to set up a combination of stereo and mono outputs:

Mains on stereo device 01/02
Subs on mono device 03
Monitor mix 1 on mono device 04
Monitor mix 2 on mono device 05
etc.

To use device 03 as mono, do I need to simply pan the output to L? And then to use device 04 as mono, do I need to pan the output to R?

Otherwise, I don't see a way to separate the 03-04 (etc) pairing.

Thanks,
Ira

Yep. Click mono and then pan L and R.

JonniJi
01-14-2010, 08:09 PM
SAC is setup as a Stereo Out system.

So I believe that you are correct in that you could assign 2 Monitor Mixers the same 'stereo pair' in SAC, then have 1 Monitor Mixer Panned L, then the other Monitor Mixer Panned R. That should do it.

---------

But here is how I would physically set it up:

Outputs on the Berhinger:

1 - Main L
2 - Main R
3 - Sub
4 -
5 - Monitor Mixer 1
6 -
7 - Monitor Mixer 2
8 -
---------------------------------
Note: Since I have 3 x Berhinger units, I always start my Monitor Mixer Outs on the Second Unit.

09 - Monitor 1
10 -
11 - Monitor 2
12 -
13 - Monitor 3
14 -
15 - Monitor 4
16 -
17 - Monitor 5
18 -
19 - Monitor 6
etc, etc..

That way if someone really wants a Stereo Monitor Mix, my Mix Presets in SAC are already setup to handle it..

Note: I used 7-8 for my CUE/SOLO..

My apologizes in advance if I'm not understanding what you want.

Bob L
01-14-2010, 08:25 PM
Panning the output chans L or R will allow a mono out with two different mixers assigned to the same stereo device pair.

But... most SAC systems have more output devices than are needed, generally, so its really just as simple to just leave things assigned stereo and only use the L out from any device pair... skipping to the next device pair for the next mono out... again just using the L side.

Bob L

Phil
01-14-2010, 08:40 PM
You got it Ira. That's what I been doing as I'm running out of channels on my portable till the new system in the booth is setup.

IraSeigel
01-15-2010, 08:33 AM
Thanks for all the good answers here. A couple of things:

1. I'm a little troubled by 905's comment to "Click mono and then pan L and R." If I click mono, then wouldn't both the L&R sides both get the same signal? Wouldn't I lose the ability to have 2 separate L&R signals?

2. Bob's comment about having more output devices than are needed: Yes, choosing multiple ADA8000 would give you that. I have a 3U rack, and I've chosen to travel with 2 Octamic-Ds (8 ins, no outs) and a modified Alesis AI3 (8 line ins, 8 outs). I don't have room for another device that would provide additional outputs, so I'm limited to 8 outs - in my case, mains, subs and 4 mono wedge mixes. If the act decides to add stereo IEMs, then I'll come up short. I could only add 1 stereo mix by eliminating the separate sub send.

3. Jonni's layout of his mixes: Thanks. That's pretty much the same plan I was thinking of. That's a good idea, to have stuff set so that if you need to put stereo mixes together, your console is already set up for that.

Ira

905shmick
01-15-2010, 09:03 AM
Thanks for all the good answers here. A couple of things:

1. I'm a little troubled by 905's comment to "Click mono and then pan L and R." If I click mono, then wouldn't both the L&R sides both get the same signal? Wouldn't I lose the ability to have 2 separate L&R signals?

Ira

There's a little red dot to the left of the Mono button, left click on it and choose L Only and then pan the output hard L. Do the same for the other channel and select R Only and then pan the output hard R.

IraSeigel
01-15-2010, 09:06 AM
There's a little red dot to the left of the Mono button, left click on it and choose L Only and then pan the output hard L. Do the same for the other channel and select R Only and then pan the output hard R.

Great! Thanks.
Ira

Wink0r
01-15-2010, 10:20 AM
If you have stereo sources you really want one of the L+R options (L+R minus 6db is default). If you choose left or right only you will miss content from the alternate channel. Just click mono and adjust the pan to the proper output.

IraSeigel
01-15-2010, 10:50 AM
If you have stereo sources you really want one of the L+R options (L+R minus 6db is default). If you choose left or right only you will miss content from the alternate channel. Just click mono and adjust the pan to the proper output.

He was responding to my question about setting up mono wedge mixes and how I should assign the outputs to my unit.

gdougherty
01-15-2010, 11:32 AM

I almost thought I'd been doing things wrong until I realized this doesn't impact my configuration with a few seconds of thought. In fact, I'm not sure when exactly I'd care about this option. The default -6db sum option effectively handles this for all center panned items. Outputs are also individual selections rather than stereo pairs selected on a per channel basis like many analog consoles with 1/2, 3/4 type selection buttons.

gdougherty
01-15-2010, 11:34 AM
He was responding to my question about setting up mono wedge mixes and how I should assign the outputs to my unit.

I still setup my mono wedges without using this option. Mono L/R -6db will still dump it to a mono signal at the head of the output channel and the panning is what actually routes it to the appropriate physical output.

Wink0r
01-15-2010, 11:47 AM
Yes, but if you have any stereo source material or any panning in the mix you will only get the selected side. The L+R options will give you both sides mixed to a mono signal.

IraSeigel
01-15-2010, 12:29 PM
Yes, but if you have any stereo source material or any panning in the mix you will only get the selected side. The L+R options will give you both sides mixed to a mono signal.

Assuming you have NOT selected "Duplicate Faders/Pans From" the FOH console, and you're setting up a mono mix on one of the monitor consoles, then you wouldn't be doing any panning.

But now I see that you're basing your statements on the assumption that one has chosen to "Duplicate Faders/Pans", and in that case, yes, your point is well-taken.

Ira

IraSeigel
01-15-2010, 12:31 PM
I still setup my mono wedges without using this option. Mono L/R -6db will still dump it to a mono signal at the head of the output channel and the panning is what actually routes it to the appropriate physical output.

And, for now, I think I, too, will ignore the little red button and pan, as you've described.:)

Wink0r
01-15-2010, 01:26 PM
And, for now, I think I, too, will ignore the little red button and pan, as you've described.:)
The little red button has to do with input to the strip. Aside from selecting the signal that is available it really has nothing to do with the output assignment.

Bob L
01-15-2010, 04:48 PM
The idea of using a mixer as a mono output is best done selecting the MONO switch on the Out Master and panning that to the L or R... this way, you can still use the entire mixer with all pans in the center or panned as in a stereo mix... with stereo keyboards for instance... and still pick up both left and right signals in the output now stripped back to a mono output.

Two separate mixers can each feed the same stereo device pair... just set the MONO switch on for each master out 1 and pan one master out L and the other R.

Bob L

BrianR
04-29-2010, 10:23 PM
Tonight I started setting up mon mixes using the mono switch and panning. The problem I had is how to get a mono monitor cue mix. Taking the left or right of the MON Solo Bus Out Device gives you only all the left or right mixes. How can I mix the left and right solo out to one out for a cue wedge mix ?

Phil
04-29-2010, 11:32 PM
I don't exactly follow what you mean. If your solo is post fader on the outputs, the audio will follow the pan in your solo. If set PRE fader, it'll be before the pan and sound in both ears :)

Reread your post... mono cue mix? You have only one channel. Hmmm... OK, bit of a kludge, use the echo delay to mono the signal. use the delay at 0ms and set to cross to send audio from the left to the right and right to the left. You'll want to max the delay levels and reduce the input by right clicking on the "rude solo lite" and set to -6db. That should do it.

If your trying to share the output pair with something else, patch another echo delay after the first, set source to 0 and the delay of the channel you need.

BrianR
04-30-2010, 07:17 AM
The FOH and the MON each take a stereo pair of outputs on the ADA8k. I use a headphone amp for my FOH solo, stereo is great for headphones. I only need one out to feed my cue mix I don't have stereo cue wedges. By taking either the left or right of the stereo pair assigned to MON Solo Bus Out Device I can only then hear the MON output mixes that are panned to which ever output I take,left or right. I know I can use every other output of the ADA8k and not pan but it is a waste of outputs.

Bob L
04-30-2010, 07:38 AM
Two separate mixers can each feed the same stereo device pair... just set the MONO switch on for each master out 1 and pan one master out L and the other R.

This then allows you to use each output from your ADA8000 as a mono signal fed by a separate mixer... if you keep your solo mode in pre... you can now freely solo any monitor mixer and hear only its mono signal feed.

Most of us have more than enough outputs than needed, since with an ADA8000 you get an out device for every in device... so the idea of just using the left or right output of a stereo pair and skipping the next for mono wedges is not an issue... and you can also use that to your advantage if you split the wiring from wedges across the front of the stage and feed the Stage left wedges from one output and the stage right wedges from the other even though you are using a mono mix.

Bob L

BrianR
04-30-2010, 08:28 AM
Thanks Bob,I did figure out the mono and panning and also the every other output method.
"This then allows you to use each output from your ADA8000 as a mono signal fed by a separate mixer... if you keep your solo mode in pre... you can now freely solo any monitor mixer and hear only its mono signal feed."
I think I had solo mode in post and could only hear just the left or right mixes depending on which solo out on the ADA I used for cue wedge mix.Thats what I was having a problem with.
Thanks again.