PDA

View Full Version : Octopre MKii Dynamic - 8 in + 8 out

905shmick
01-15-2010, 10:17 AM
Just released at NAMM.

http://www.focusrite.com/products/saffire/octopre_mkii_dynamic/

ssrsound
01-15-2010, 10:38 AM
Nice! If only it were remote-controllable it'd be pretty ideal. I like that they went ahead and put 2 ADAT I/Os on it so you can do all 8 channels at 96.

Warren
01-15-2010, 11:13 AM
Nice! If only it were remote-controllable it'd be pretty ideal. I like that they went ahead and put 2 ADAT I/Os on it so you can do all 8 channels at 96.

Sorry in SMUX mode 96k its only 4 channels like all ADAT units. ADAT format can only run up to 48k and sometimes they will offer a second connector for SMUX which reduces the number of i/o but allows for 96k support.

Chris

ssrsound
01-15-2010, 11:21 AM
Look again... they put a 2nd set of fiber I/O connectors, so in 96k mode, connector set 1 is channels 1-4, and connector set 2 is channels 5-8.

gdougherty
01-15-2010, 11:36 AM
sometimes they will offer a second connector for SMUX which reduces the number of i/o but allows for 96k support.

Chris

You missed the part where that's exactly what they did.

Warren
01-15-2010, 02:29 PM
Sorry all I did not see that part my Big Bad :eek:
Looks to be a very nice unit, be nice to replace my ada8000's with it but I bet they won't be any where near the same price :D

I will go hide now :p

gdougherty
01-15-2010, 03:10 PM
Sorry all I did not see that part my Big Bad :eek:
Looks to be a very nice unit, be nice to replace my ada8000's with it but I bet they won't be any where near the same price :D

I will go hide now :p

Considering the input only Octomic is about $500, I'd guess somewhere in the $600-800 range with outputs and dynamics added. The Presonus is still a lower price, not sure how the preamps would rank. The Focusrite stuff has been good but the Saffire unit I owned for a short while didn't particularly wow me. Likely better than the ADA for noise levels at least.

Wink0r
01-15-2010, 04:50 PM
I know nothing about the Focusrite stuff aside from having heard the name. I am still looking for where there are 8 ins and 8 outs. There is a switch on the front panel that is labeled AD DA and the only thing that I see in the product brochure says 8 ins or 8 outs. Not that I am buying anything today, anyway.

ssrsound
01-15-2010, 04:51 PM
$499 at Musicians Friend (which will be the MAP price -- they always sell right at that). Not bad, though still 2.5x the price of the ADA units. Still, that's pretty viable for someone who wants to move away from the stigma of Behringer.

Edit: oops -- didn't realize that was the version without the dynamics and without the double-ADAT connectors. bummer.

905shmick
01-15-2010, 05:02 PM
I know nothing about the Focusrite stuff aside from having heard the name. I am still looking for where there are 8 ins and 8 outs. There is a switch on the front panel that is labeled AD DA and the only thing that I see in the product brochure says 8 ins or 8 outs. Not that I am buying anything today, anyway.

It says "Switching to enable monitoring of A/D inputs or ADAT inputs with ADDA switch". I would think that the switch lets you choose to have the 8 outputs be direct from the inputs or fed from an ADAT input source.

Wink0r
01-15-2010, 07:01 PM
I hope so as that would be logical, but I think that they could do a much better job with their literature. Their wording made me nervous.