PDA

View Full Version : Problems recording midi and audio together

omaru
06-05-2004, 08:53 PM
Hello - I'm wondering if SawStudio is having a problem with my LynxOne audio card or my 64 bit Athlon, or could it be the internal linking in the program?

I'm using latest Lynx drivers (024k) and latest demo versions of SAWStudio and MWS.

Three days ago, I worked with SS for a couple of hours and seemed to be fine. I have not added any program since or tampered with settings. From yesterday on - I get this :-

Generally the first time (not always) I open the program (after setting inputs and outputs for audio and midi) it works as planned i.e. records both midi and audio simultaneously. However, from here on, I'm not able to get both. I can get either midi, or audio, but not both. Very weird.
(I have reinstalled the drivers - twice. This m/c is music only - no net)

With both tracks armed (Track 1 - audio : Track 1 - midi) :-
If I set RCD RDY then hit Enter - I'll get audio but not midi.
If I set RCD RDY then try to record using the record button on MWS - it does not function.
When stopped - MWS record does work.
If I click SRP, I'll get midi but no audio.

I've noticed that if the yellow play lamp does not light up with the red record lamp (on MWS) - no midi will be recorded.

I'm using Gigabyte K8NNXP m/b, 3200+Athlon 64, 1 Gig ram, LynxOne, XPSP1.

Bob - you've done a fantastic job on this - fast and small.

I'm very impressed with the audio side of SS but, as a long time Cubase midi user (Pro 24 days 'till now), I find the midi side lacking.
Is this something that will be expanded on?

If the midi - audio sync is as good as Bob says in the videos, I'll probably be satisfied (temporarily :) ) but for now, can anyone shine any light on this please?

Thanks

omaru

Bob L
06-05-2004, 10:16 PM
Not sure exactly what you are running into...

First test the mdidi recording by itself... pop the MWS ontop and assign a port and chan and prgto track 1... if you have a General Midi module, you can just double-click a sound from the default patch Library view...

Now make sure the Midi Thru light is ON... and try playing your keyboard... you should hear midi... next push the Red record light on the midi track... now in order to start recording, press the Red Midi Record transport button and the button should glow red... play some midi... press stop... that should have recorded data... make sure that is working first...

Now to record audio and midi together, you must arm the midi track red for record... make sure your patch is playing... then arm the Audio MultiTrack for record... now to control both together you use the SAWStudio Record Transport... not the midi transport... in SAWStudio you can simply press Record to do the first pass... both audio and midi should record...

Now for the second pass of overdubbing... arm your tracks and press the SRP button to begin playback... now you must punch-in with the record button next to the SRP button... this should record both audio and midi...

Can you confirm this behavior?

And yes the Midi add-on is very young technology... I have spent 12 years on the audio and about 1 year on the midi code so far... it is constantly evolving. :)

Bob L

Bob L

omaru
06-06-2004, 06:28 AM
Hello Bob - thanks for your speedy reply.

Not sure exactly what you are running into...

First test the mdidi recording by itself... pop the MWS ontop and assign a port and chan and prgto track 1... if you have a General Midi module, you can just double-click a sound from the default patch Library view...

>Done

[QUOTE=Bob L]
Now make sure the Midi Thru light is ON... and try playing your keyboard... you should hear midi... next push the Red record light on the midi track... now in order to start recording, press the Red Midi Record transport button and the button should glow red... play some midi... press stop... that should have recorded data... make sure that is working first...

>Yes - works fine to this point.

Now to record audio and midi together, you must arm the midi track red for record... make sure your patch is playing... then arm the Audio MultiTrack for record... now to control both together you use the SAWStudio Record Transport... not the midi transport... in SAWStudio you can simply press Record to do the first pass... both audio and midi should record...

>Records only audio

Now for the second pass of overdubbing... arm your tracks and press the SRP button to begin playback... now you must punch-in with the record button next to the SRP button... this should record both audio and midi...

>Yes this works - perhaps I didn't press the record button as well before.

Can you confirm this behavior?

And yes the Midi add-on is very young technology... I have spent 12 years on the audio and about 1 year on the midi code so far... it is constantly evolving. :)

Bob L

Bob L

While writing this, I've been doing a lot of playing around with the program to ensure I've covered what you asked. In the course of this, it's suddenly come good and works again as expected :confused:

When it's misbehaving:-
1. In MWS the yellow play light does not come on with the red record one.
2. If I hear only the direct audio out on monitoring (with LynxOne panel ticked "monitor destination - analogue out") when in REC RDY mode - the midi recording will fail. If I hear the direct and delayed sound (512 byte buffer) - I know the midi recording will work.

Has the program been tested on a 64 bit m/c?
Recently Roland found it necessary to add a small piece of code to Hypercanvas, Super Quartet and HQ Orchestral to make them work properly on the Athlon 64.

It seems like there's some plumbing flapping in the breeze that connects to the LynxOne when it feels like it.

Sorry I can't be more helpful. I'll try it on a 32 bit m/c tomorrow and then a reinstall on the 64.

Thanks for the information re the MWS - I could use my Atari Falcon for midi at a pinch but it is much simpler and more efficient if it's in the same program.

Thanks Bob

omaru

Bob L
06-06-2004, 08:38 AM
I have done nothing special yet for the 64 bit processors... perhaps there is something going on in that regard...

I will have to check into it.

Bob L

omaru
06-06-2004, 08:33 PM
Thanks Bob - I'll report back soon.

cheers

omaru