PDA

View Full Version : Version 2.4 horizontal fader fix.

gdougherty
01-19-2010, 02:28 PM
http://www.sawstudiouser.com/forums/showpost.php?p=122829&postcount=29

Hannu R discovered for us that enabling touch screen mode will fix the unusable horizontal faders issue in 2.4. It does fix the faders but also can cause some issues for pop-up faders.

From the manual:
Touch Screen Mode
When this option is active, it forces you to touch the fader knobs accurately and will not attempt to jump the touch position to the knob as it does with the mouse click position. This will also adjust the popup fader window position to place the current knob under your touch position. This mode keeps you from radically jumping a fader when using a touch screen.

Because of this: "This will also adjust the popup fader window position to place the current knob under your touch position." I can get pop-up faders that will not allow me to fade all the way down in Z and W mixer views because the pop-up fader extends off the bottom of the screen. Otherwise, SAC appears to remain usable.

gdougherty
01-19-2010, 02:30 PM
Save your preferences and Touch Screen Mode will remain on by default.

Bob L
01-19-2010, 02:36 PM
This is not a bug... it is what will happen if the program is not allowed to adjust the popup fader window to fit onscreen and snap the mouse cursor to the current knob position. When in Touch Screen Mode... you cannot jump the mouse position, because you cannot force a finger or stylus pen to jump.

So... it will be up to you to make sure you have the screen positioned properly before using a popup fader window so you have enough room for the range of what you want to adjust.

Touch screens, while interesting, introduce many specific issues that may or may not be perceived as an advantage to a typical mouse based user interface.

Bob L

gdougherty
01-19-2010, 02:44 PM
This is not a bug... it is what will happen if the program is not allowed to adjust the popup fader window to fit onscreen and snap the mouse cursor to the current knob position. When in Touch Screen Mode... you cannot jump the mouse position, because you cannot force a finger or stylus pen to jump.

So... it will be up to you to make sure you have the screen positioned properly before using a popup fader window so you have enough room for the range of what you want to adjust.

Touch screens, while interesting, introduce many specific issues that may or may not be perceived as an advantage to a typical mouse based user interface.

Bob L

True, enough, but for those of us without touch screens, we'd not be encountering this and needing to worry except for the real fader bug in 2.4.

I was mentioning it for those like myself that may skip rolling back to 2.3 since Touch Screen Mode makes 2.4's horizontal faders usable again. It's just a head's up on changes the "fix" makes to the user experience.

I don't think there's anything you could do to make the touch interface more usable and less destructive in SAC unless there were a fader in the touch panel that replaced the pop-up fader. In that case, you could enable and disable the touch panel fader by touching the appropriate control on the mixer (or maybe a cancel button on the touch panel too).

Bob L
01-19-2010, 03:15 PM
The original horizontal fader bug has been fixed... just re-download 2.4.

Bob L

gdougherty
01-19-2010, 06:43 PM
And then you go and update things so quickly there's no need for a thread like this ;). On the upside, I now understand what the touch screen mode does and how it differs from the traditional functioning of SAC. I'll be that much more prepared for getting a touch screen someday.

Larry Burger
01-19-2010, 07:48 PM
Some times we operate in a dim to dark setting and the F keys on screen the arrows and shift seem to be a positive addition we can see on screen.

Yes I purchased a backlit keyboard, but it still can be a little slow.

One could look at the touch panel as a good add on not just for touch screen.

The fixes are important also.

quaizywabbit
01-20-2010, 01:26 AM
just curious...when using a touch screen how important is screen resolution.....I got big fingers, and worry there's too much detail onscreen for me to accurately touch....

IE....is there a recommended screen size/resolution that is optimal for touch screen use?

sjpaul
01-20-2010, 01:32 AM
just curious...when using a touch screen how important is screen resolution.....I got big fingers, and worry there's too much detail onscreen for me to accurately touch....

IE....is there a recommended screen size/resolution that is optimal for touch screen use?

You need to hire a small child to push things on the touchscreen:D

Pedro Itriago
01-20-2010, 06:18 AM
You need to hire a small child to push things on the touchscreen:D

I hear current Oompa Loompa rates are down.

KUI
01-20-2010, 06:54 AM
Most tablet provide a stylus for manipulating the touch surface.

Bob L
01-20-2010, 08:33 AM
You will need a tablet that uses a stylus pen... this will then allow you to get into all the small zones necessary to operate the SAC interface fully.

You can use your finger on a large touchscreen... but even that can get tough to reach the smaller interface zones.

And... trying to scale the interface to large klunky zones for every control, is not something I imagine ever doing. :)

Bob L