PDA

View Full Version : Beware Private Message Link Spam

MMP
01-20-2010, 05:46 AM
Someone has been sending PMs with links to a Russian page which may be a virus installation disguised as a video.

I browse on a Mac, so I am not sure what it would have installed, but it looks plenty suspicious.

Be careful out there, friends.

Regards,

MM

Mountain Media
01-20-2010, 07:24 AM
Someone has been sending PMs with links to a Russian page which may be a virus installation disguised as a video.

I browse on a Mac, so I am not sure what it would have installed, but it looks plenty suspicious.

Be careful out there, friends.

Regards,

MM

Thanks, Michael - I got it as a PM, too - but I never opened the 'link'. It looked too suspicious and I deleted from the PM summary page. Man, what some idiots will revert to, to cause harm, assuming it's malicious - if it's 'spam' or 'adware', then the same animosity holds for those idiots!! :)

Mark Stebbeds
01-20-2010, 10:04 AM
I have PM, and private emails turned off on this and all public forums. I'm easy to find if anyone wants to find me the traditional way, or they can ask for my email addy.

Mark

soundtrack2life
01-20-2010, 12:23 PM
I got it too!
Joe Jr.

soundtrack2life
01-20-2010, 12:27 PM
BTW I am on a Mac as well. . . . but like an idiot I did click on it and it downloaded and exe file to my downloads. Probably tried to install it as well. . . .but couldn't because it was on the Mac.
Joe

UpTilDawn
01-22-2010, 04:45 PM
Got it too..... delete....
thanks for the warning.

soundtrack2life
01-30-2010, 04:35 PM
Looks like I got hit via PM again. . . . :eek: I just immediately deleted it this time. Anyone else?
Joe

Pedro Itriago
01-31-2010, 07:40 AM
Looks like I got hit via PM again. . . . :eek: I just immediately deleted it this time. Anyone else?
Joe

I suggest you go to the sender's profile and befriend him. It seems is a very old forum member

Mountain Media
02-01-2010, 05:19 AM
Joe
Yep -

gappie
02-05-2010, 08:30 AM
i got one today, saying that i have a virus. was sended by 'our newest member' XandderrMan (http://www.sawstudiouser.com/forums/member.php?u=4724)

havnt been here a long time.. so time to see if there are updates. im using saw everyday, i love it...

thanks
gab

Mountain Media
02-05-2010, 08:39 AM
i got one today, saying that i have a virus. was sended by 'our newest member' XandderrMan (http://www.sawstudiouser.com/forums/member.php?u=4724)

havnt been here a long time.. so time to see if there are updates. im using saw everyday, i love it...

thanks
gab
I got this one, too - it also requested a received acknowledgement which has a one-button auto acknowledgement. This MIGHT be a way to gather additional info about contact info - not sure what/how it sends info.

BEWARE! :mad:

MikeDee
02-05-2010, 08:53 AM
Hello, friend. There are viruses' activities from your computer in last few days. Strongly recommend you to check your computer. You can find a report about your computer's security and solve every problem with it here: <malicious link removed> Thank you. Forum member.

Just got this PM. They're still at it.

gappie
02-05-2010, 08:58 AM
Just got this PM. They're still at it.maybe better not post the link in it.. ot make it useless

:)
gab

MikeDee
02-05-2010, 09:24 AM
maybe better not post the link in it.. ot make it useless

:)
gab

Yep...fixed it on the SAC Forum, too...thanks! :)

Rabbit
02-05-2010, 10:21 AM
I just got a PM from XandderrMan; deleted it without opening.

Bob L
02-05-2010, 10:31 AM
Deleted the user and his PM messages... but... most of these types come back as a new user... so watch out.

Bob L

Carl G.
02-05-2010, 12:38 PM
I just got a PM from XandderrMan; deleted it without opening.

Robert, how do you delete it without opening it?
I can't find the delete button until I click on the message (NOT opening the link of course).

Ian Alexander
02-05-2010, 01:04 PM
Robert, how do you delete it without opening it?
I can't find the delete button until I click on the message (NOT opening the link of course).
Click the link above the message - "New Private Messages".
Check the box to the right of the message.
Scroll down to the Selected Messages drop-down and change the action to Delete.
Click the Go button.

Rabbit
02-05-2010, 02:38 PM
Yep, what Ian said :D

Richard Rupert
02-05-2010, 09:25 PM
Yep, what Rabbit said Ian said.