PDA

View Full Version : Automation and Control Surfaces

Dave Tosti-Lane
12-31-2004, 03:45 PM
(From another thread)

And then as the SAWStudio interface matured, I really lost interest and could no longer even see the need for the use of all these control surfaces... not one of them offered any real power and efficiency in using the program, and all that seemed to be going on was an ego satisfaction game for those that had to have physical faders.
Bob L

Hi Bob -
As always, I think you make good points for what may be most people's way of working. But let me describe one scenario in which the control surface makes sense - something I just confirmed for myself in a job using the recently posted 01V96 mct file.

I build a lot of very complex environmental soundscapes for playback in live theater work. Frequently, I start with up to 40 tracks of wind, rain, animal noises, birds, washing of surf, rivers, thunder, etc, etc. To make a soundscape work in the theater, and feel real, one of the important rules I use is taken from observation in real life - environmental sound never comes from one direction for any length of time - it shifts with a little rain patter over here, some wind over there, a cow in the distance back there, and maybe surf moving across the image from back left to right front, and at the same time getting closer and further away.
To work in a theater, there is also a pacing issue - a human pacing issue - sounds that move in a rythm and pace that is fundamentally connected to the way we breathe and move are just more believable, or perhaps more correctly, more easily engage our willing suspension of disbelief.

So, before the control surface, my process involved getting a base mix down, then track by track, making automation moves to vary the direction and level of each sound. That meant, typically, a minimum of 10 passes through the entire piece, at real time, to get in the ballpark, with another 10 passes or more to fine tune. Yes, of course that is speeded up by doing some eyeball work - making reasonable guesses about levels for specific sounds, and yes, some particular sounds are placed deliberately in a specific place and roughed in easily when dropped.

Now, the other day, I tried using the 01V96 as a controller for 16 stereo tracks, just laying down my various environmenal components - and doing some pre-assigned pans so I had one track of left favoring waves adjacent to one of the same regions set to right favoring. I was amazed at how quickly I was able to get into the ballpark riding gain on the 16 faders in automation writing mode for a soundscape - in fact, the very first pass was pretty darn good, because I could do something I couldn't do otherwise - move multiple faders up and down in real time at the same time - playing the control surface like an instrument really. Using this method, I found I could do one or two rehearsal passes, and then get 85% to the final feel I wanted with a third pass. Then, I admit, I went back to tweaking individual tracks to get the final sound I wanted - but that ability to ride gain on multiple individual tracks, each in different directions, at different velocities, and in real time really did make it easier to build the environment I was hearing in my head before starting. At least for this one type of work, I'd argue that the external controler does make sense.

One thing that would be appreciated at some point would be a mode in which new moves would overwrite old moves - perhaps with a toggle of some kind. So, for instance, if I'm playing back an automated sequence, and grab a fader to move it, from that point on the fader ignores earlier automation and follows my new movements. Perhaps this could be toggled on and off somehow - it could be active only on one track, or a grouped set of tracks, at a time, perhaps only within a marked region if that made it easier to control the toggle?
As it works now, moving a fader in automation mode with previously written automation does take control, but only as long as the fader is actually moving - if I want to, say, lower the level as I'm listening, when I get to the new lower level and stop moving the fader, even if I hold it in place with the mouse, the fader rapidly dances back and forth between the new position and the earlier automated position. THat dance is replayed when you play back over the area in question. Of course, I realize I can modify the automation using various tools when not in playback, or I could mark a region and delete the automation ahead of my on-the-fly adjustment and be able to manually change automation in playback to achieve what I'm describing - that's the way I do it now. Perhaps what I'm asking for is a sort of "auto-delete-previous-moves" mode for making automation adjustments on selected tracks.

Again the reason I would like to be able to do this, as opposed to making a change and then listening to it, is that in building these environments every track is relative to another, and being able to adjust while listening to the whole thing in real-time seems to work better for me - my decisions about level changes are related to things happening within a moving sequence of events, and frequently are reactive rather than proactive. That's not to say I can't work without it - I use STUDIO to produce everything that goes into the theater now - but this is a feature that I think I'd use a lot.

Sorry to run on so -

Dave Tosti-Lane

SoundSuite
12-31-2004, 04:51 PM
The 'bouncing' of a fader when over-writing automation has always shaken me a bit too.

I've come to deal with it by only using my Yamaha ProMix01 for the first rough-in pass, like you described, then just turn it off and do the rest in the MT.

I'll agree with Bob that you can't get as precise using external faders and you can do it quickly in SAW and you do want to finish it in SAW, but man, to rough-in 16 tracks quickly with the PM01 is awesome to cut down on overall time.

If we could over-write automation without the 'bouncing' for a 2nd or 3rd, etc rough-in pass, that would be icing on the cake.
I can understand it's behavior, another person/client roughing it on the following pass freaks out when the fader bounces around, lol.
(I like to let a client/band rough a mix to see what they think they hear for their mix...for this, external faders is the only way, I don't want them clicking around with the mouse)

Dave Tosti-Lane
01-01-2005, 12:30 AM
Certainly, I hear the precision point - but in the kind of mix I'm describing, precision is not an objective - I'm nowhere near the ceiling in terms of level, I'm only interested in how the sounds weave in and out of the mix - how they sound. In fact, the final result of the mix, often between 2 and 4 stereo wave files made from components of the total mix which are played back simultaneously to multiple speakers in the theater, will also be varied in playback in real-time either by software or sometimes by a sound engineer, moving above and below dialog and in and out of presence. All reacting to live actors whose timing and response to the audience reaction is slightly different every night.

(that probably sounds as if it's hit or miss, but it's really very controlled in the end product in the theater.)

Also, the longer (100mm) faders on the 01V96 are considerably smoother than the O1V (and they don't chatter!), so the precision issue is a little better with the newer box. Now, if I had an interactive touch-screen flat-panel that would behave the same way - allow multiple ballistics on multiple faders simultaneously, I might be even happier. Especially if it were only 1/8'" thick and could roll up into a tube to carry around <grin>.

Dave

Bob L
01-01-2005, 02:55 AM
That makes sense Dave...

The fader overwriting thing requires touch sensitive faders, which many are not.

I would say if you know where you want to overwrite it can be pretty easy to simply mark and delete that section... then grab the fader and write new moves at that moment.

Not exactly the same as grabbing and forcing and overwrite, but the touch sensitive thing is tricky and not very universal.

I've considered doing it with the mouse faders, which of course can use the button down and up to start and stop the overwrite, but its also tricky to be deleting on the fly and stopping underlying fader feedback to what you are overwriting and at the same time, many of the better control surfaces require feedback to hold the fader at the new position... its just a lot of detail to make work good.

Bob L

Dave Tosti-Lane
01-01-2005, 11:31 PM
I've considered doing it with the mouse faders, which of course can use the button down and up to start and stop the overwrite, but its also tricky to be deleting on the fly and stopping underlying fader feedback to what you are overwriting and at the same time, many of the better control surfaces require feedback to hold the fader at the new position... its just a lot of detail to make work good.
Bob L

Thanks Bob,
Yes, I see what you mean about that. As you say, pre-deleting the existing automation works when you know the range of the change to be done. And, you can always get back to the original automation via an edl un-do.

One, perhaps crazy, idea occurs though. What about an automation layer scheme of some kind - the way I'd see it is, the track plays back from the primary layer automation as usual, but you could toggle specific tracks to engage a second automation layer for recording. That second layer would "take over" from the first layer at the first point where you moved an engaged track's fader - the underlaying automation from the original layer would not need to be deleted, it would just be ignored. When you completed your pass, you could mark the point where you wanted automation to revert to the original layer - sort of creating an "automation region". (perhaps that could even be done live with a hot-key) If you liked the change, then you would complete the process by telling Studio to overwrite the original data with the new data, and clear the second layer for any subsequent passes.

Forgive me if that sounds like a nightmare to code - it would be pretty cool though <g>

Dave

Bob L
01-02-2005, 01:30 AM
Whew... that's quite an order. :)

Let me think about the different ways I could approach this... but for now, I'm sure you'll do fine with the way things are. ;)

Bob L

Dave Tosti-Lane
01-02-2005, 04:12 AM
Whew... that's quite an order. :)

Let me think about the different ways I could approach this... but for now, I'm sure you'll do fine with the way things are. ;)

Bob L

Absolutely Bob - it's certainly "NOT Broke" now. :)

Thanks for considering it though!

Dave

Dave Labrecque
01-02-2005, 11:43 PM
Dave,

I'm probably missing some subtleties of your fantasy, but it seems to me that you could do most of this with the existing layers. Whaddaya think?

Dave Tosti-Lane
01-03-2005, 05:46 PM
Dave,

I'm probably missing some subtleties of your fantasy, but it seems to me that you could do most of this with the existing layers. Whaddaya think?

No, not really. What I would want would be for the automation to play normally up to the point where I move a fader, then essentially ignore previously encoded automation from that point on, responding to live moves of the fader. Then, I'd want to be able to pick regions of the new automation events to keep, and have Studio replace the initial automation only in those regions, allowing the initial automation to take back over after that point.

What happens now, if you attempt to do new automation moves of a fader where automation already exists, is that while you are physically moving the fader (either by remote or by mouse) your new moves take precedence, but if you stop moving the fader - holding it in a new position (again either by remote or mouse) - Studio jumps back and forth between the original automation data and the new held position, until you release the fader, at which point it returns to the original automation.

So, the missing ingredient is a way to instruct Studio to ignore the original automation from a specific point onward, and return to original automation after a second point. You can do it now by marking the region that you want to change and deleting the original automation, then grabbing the fader at the start of that region, making your new moves, and returning the fader to the appropriate position at the end of the deleted region so it will match up with the original automation from then on.

What I'm trying to approximate is the way that automation works on a touch sensitive automated console - where if you grab a fader and start changing it, as long as you hold the fader your moves take priority - release the fader and the original automation takes over, sometimes with pre-defined ballistic for the transition. Since most of the surfaces people can actually afford aren't going to have the touch sensitive feature, and if they did it would have to be integrated somehow with Studio, I was proposing a state-change that would trigger from the first point where you moved a fader - something Studio already recognizes and responds to -

Dave Tosti-Lane

brent
01-03-2005, 06:48 PM
I don't use SAW automation to mix. I use a real console. I would love to have SAW send and return Flying Fader automation data via the USB port. It would help people keep their investment and use a DAW. Some guys like me like having a console for preamps, cue mixes and stereo mixing.

Carl G.
01-03-2005, 08:00 PM
What I'm trying to approximate is the way that automation works on a touch sensitive automated console -
Dave Tosti-Lane
Dave - Bob...
In tight production sessions...where time is of the essence in revisions... a "Touch Sensitive Fader" option would be superior! But often I need changes that require stop and edit mixes for changes "stopping On a Dime"(well... a sample:) )
So, therefore I vote for a "Touch Sensitive Fader *Modifier Key*". I would suggest two things to avoid confusion and to keep it simple (with LOTS of flexibility).
1. "Touch Sensitive Faders" would _only_ be available in the "Filter" mode...
That would specify and simplify what and how we change (EQ, Fader, etc)
2. Action of the touch fader would only happen by pressing the "Modifier Key" (I suggest the Control Key) while using the left mouse button.

Carl

Dave Tosti-Lane
01-04-2005, 12:15 AM
Hi Carl,

Dave - Bob...
1. "Touch Sensitive Faders" would _only_ be available in the "Filter" mode...
That would specify and simplify what and how we change (EQ, Fader, etc)
Carl

With you to here.

2. Action of the touch fader would only happen by pressing the "Modifier Key" (I suggest the Control Key) while using the left mouse button.
Carl

But here I bail out :o

... the modifier key approach is great if you're using a mouse as it sounds like you are, but I want to be able to use my 01V96 as a control surface, and have my fingers on multiple faders for moving. That's why I like the approach that would trigger recording when you moved a fader. I'm also fine with requiring specific enabling of tracks to be modified - but I'd like to be able to modify several at once. I'd need to add some appendages, or become much better with my toes, to hold the control key down on the keyboard and keep both hands on the faders <grin>.

Actually, if you're using a mouse, as Bob suggested earlier he could just use key down to engage, and key up to disengage, no need for the modifier key.
What I'd use a modifier key for is the opposite - hit the modifier key combo to _end_ the writing of the new automation.

If the automation layer scheme I suggested were used, then later, you could go back to each track, highlight the area you wanted to overwrite original automation, and tell it to overwrite. Then the automation modify layer would be cleared for the next pass. It would be like an overdub, but just for automation instead of for audio.

Dave Tosti-Lane

Bob L
01-04-2005, 12:26 AM
I'd say you guys can relax on this... I am looking into it and will figure some combination from here... there is a lot to consider to make it all work usefully.

Hang in there... this may make it to an update in the near future.

Meanwhile, Dave, its very easy to record new automation to a new layer and then mark and copy to the original layer any automation that you like. Of course you do not have the benefit of live automation up to the insert point... but again, you already know that you can mark and remove automation sections and update... if you don't like the results, simply undo. (Use the Snapshot function before writing).

Bob L

Dave Tosti-Lane
01-04-2005, 12:38 AM
I'd say you guys can relax on this... I am looking into it and will figure some combination from here... there is a lot to consider to make it all work usefully.

Hang in there... this may make it to an update in the near future.
Bob L

OK - will reduce coffee intake and relax to see what happens :)

I love it when you whisper those five magic words - "update in the near future" - Bob!

Meanwhile, Dave, its very easy to record new automation to a new layer and then mark and copy to the original layer any automation that you like. Of course you do not have the benefit of live automation up to the insert point... but again, you already know that you can mark and remove automation sections and update... if you don't like the results, simply undo. (Use the Snapshot function before writing).
Bob L

OK again. The mark and remove is probably the best option now, as I usually just want to adjust portions of an existing mix. And, if I know I want to change three tracks, I can always pre-delete the automation on all three at the points I want to fiddle with, and then just ride gain on those three as they get to the appropriate points.

Thanks for putting it in the hopper!

Dave Tosti-Lane