PDA

View Full Version : Check out this slip edit video!

Oz Nimbus
01-29-2010, 10:52 AM
Hey all,

As I'm sure you're quite aware, I've been begging for some sort of Beat Detective routine to be intergrated into Saw. Working with BD on the complex metal stuff can be a total nightmare, as it's transient detection has to be the dumbest thing on planet earth.

Here's what a friend of mine is doing with Reaper's slip edit system. Very cool, and a lifesaver for the complex stuff.
http://www.adamwathan.com/tutorials/reaperslipedit.mov

Any chance of intergrating something like this into SAW?

Bob L
01-29-2010, 11:09 AM
A slip edit mode similar to that is already in SAWStudio... has been for a long time...

Use the K key to split the regions on both sides of what you want to slip and then use the Shift-Right-Drag with the mouse to slip the region data between the cuts... then its easy to use the x key on each splice point afterward to create a silk smooth softedge edit on each side.

I use this function all the time to align horn tracks and back vocal tracks.

Bob L

Oz Nimbus
01-29-2010, 12:16 PM
Wow, there ya go... learn something new everyday. I've been using this program for the last six years or so & always felt like I've just scratched the surface of it's capabilities. :)

Can we do it for multiple tracks simultaneously ? That's what I'm after. I'd like to keep all my drum mics in phase... this is very, very important for heavy rock productions.
Also, a visible grid (user selectable, of course) would be very helpful.

Mike Bizanovich
01-29-2010, 01:17 PM
Oz, just select each track you want to split (hilight the track numbers) and choose the place you want to make the edit... hit K... then delete the area you want to edit out then using the SEL button, select the track data you want to move and use CTRL and your mouse pointer to slip to where you want to place the data. No visible grid as far as I know but you may be able to use the tempo snap if you can match the song tempo with SAW.

Mike Bizanovich
Wheeling, WV

Oz Nimbus
01-29-2010, 01:32 PM
Won't slip with the SEL button engaged... it will just move regions (there's a difference). Besides, having to re-select all the tracks for every single edit in a complex metal drum pattern is beyond insane.

Watch the video. What's going on in there is what I'd like to do with SAW... or something very similar. Turns out slip editing is possible, just need to make it multitrack & streamline it a bit.

Bob L
01-29-2010, 01:39 PM
Considering allowing it across multiple tracks.

Bob L

Oz Nimbus
01-29-2010, 01:40 PM
That would be extremely cool, Bob! As long as all I have to do is highlight the tracks & not the regions, it would be most useful.

Thanks very much for the consideration.

-0z-

Cary B. Cornett
01-30-2010, 09:33 PM
Considering allowing it across multiple tracks.

Bob L Could you make that a selectable menu option? I often edit with several tracks selected, and it is handy to be able to do certain things to just one track without having to un-select a track first.

Chris Kress
01-31-2010, 03:19 AM
Besides, having to re-select all the tracks for every single edit in a complex metal drum pattern is beyond insane.

After selecting a group of regions:
- use the s key to exit select mode mode
- do the slip operation
- then use shift+s to re enter select mode.. All of your previous selection is in tact..

We'll need the slip function to work across multiple tracks though. It would be nice to be able to save that "selection" into a group memory position with all of it's relative timings and positions.. for later access. Maybe it is possible.. I am just going through this entire section in the manual now... "Multitrack editing and Control"

Bob L
01-31-2010, 10:58 AM
Cary,

You can select certain tacks for listening while others are selected for group editing... use the Alt-LeftClick in the label zone for selecting tracks to listen only. Select Tracks for group listening and editing by LeftClicking in the number zone. They can be used simultaneously.

Bob L

Oz Nimbus
01-31-2010, 12:01 PM
Cary,

You can select certain tacks for listening while others are selected for group editing... use the Alt-LeftClick in the label zone for selecting tracks to listen only. Select Tracks for group listening and editing by LeftClicking in the number zone. They can be used simultaneously.

Bob L

Damn.. that's impressive. Never knew about THAT little trick.

Bob L
01-31-2010, 12:44 PM
That's two new items for you recently... perhaps its time for a "kick back and read the helpfile" journey. :)

Bet you it saves more time than it takes to read in the first few hours of new session time.

Bob L

Rabbit
01-31-2010, 01:31 PM
Certainly a good idea for me anyway, I tend to forget features I don't use that often and a refresher would be a great help.