PDA

View Full Version : OT:SNOW...

Tim Miskimon
02-06-2010, 11:53 AM
:eek:
No sessions today or maybe for the next week.
Record snow here in Baltimore.
It's been snowing for 25 hrs - and they are saying it will keep snowing for another 4 or 5 hrs.
5 foot drifts in the front yard.
More snow Tuesday night into Wednesday...:eek:
So far 30 inches.
61 inches so far this winter.
We've had our top 3 biggest snow falls since 1999.
This has been our coldest winter on record.
So much for global warming...:D
Al Gore should have to give some of his money back to the East coast states for snow removal...:)
Stay warm!

Naturally Digital
02-06-2010, 12:02 PM
You guys in the US seem to be getting all of our snow this year. It's sunny and clear blue skies here... cold yes, but there's almost no accumulation of snow.

TotalSonic
02-06-2010, 12:16 PM
What's weird is a little to the north of you in NYC we've just gotten a dusting here and seems not much more is really expected at this point. It's expected to get pretty darn cold (as if it hasn't been already) for the next few days though. I'm really wanting to take a trip to some place like Costa Rica at this point!

I think "global warming" is a misleading phrase and that "climate change" - where things just get plain ol' freaky with more extremes in both directions - is a lot better descriptor of what may (or may not) be going on.

Best regards,
Steve Berson

Warren
02-06-2010, 01:09 PM
Its Odd here in Colorado very little snow, some in the upper Rockies but zip down here.

Global Warming seems just to be a way for our Gov. to waste more of its tax payers money and time, to pad the pockets of congress's pet projects.
AND another thing!!!!!!!

Got myself going again

You all have a nice cold day :D

Chris

Brent Evans
02-06-2010, 01:28 PM
We've already had 3 or 4 reasonably heavy (for here) snows this winter, we usually get no more than a dusting every other year or so. Unfortunately, it's always immediately succeeded by sleet and rain, so it's a mess.

Yep, hottest decade on record.

Warren
02-06-2010, 01:43 PM
We've already had 3 or 4 reasonably heavy (for here) snows this winter, we usually get no more than a dusting every other year or so. Unfortunately, it's always immediately succeeded by sleet and rain, so it's a mess.

Yep, hottest decade on record.

Tippen a few cool ones on the porch wearing da shades, in this sweltering scorcher are ya? :p

RBIngraham
02-06-2010, 01:43 PM
I love when the south gets hit with snow. They all act like it's the apocalypse or something. :p

I guess I'm close enough to Canada, because I've had the guy over to plow my drive far less than usual this season. :)

Maybe Ohio could/should make up some of state budget deficits by renting our snow trucks to our southern neighbors. :D

Brent Evans
02-06-2010, 01:52 PM
I love when the south gets hit with snow. They all act like it's the apocalypse or something. :p

You just don't understand. The people down here cant' even drive in rain, much less snow and slush. They called off schools here for four days or so on the last storm which laid about 4-6 inches across the county. All the roads were dry as a bone by day 4, but because it was still melting and supposed to freeze that night, they were afraid of black ice. That decision was made at 5pm the day before, and the low was 34 overnight... kids are going to be making it up on Saturdays too.

Of course, they did get sued about 3 years ago when they didn't call off a day like that and somebody got killed in a car wreck coming to school...

Welcome to the great state of North Carolina, where we tax you to death, lie about the illegally obtained lottery, and can't figure out whether we're a red or blue state in the meantime. It's a great life!

RBIngraham
02-06-2010, 02:17 PM
You just don't understand. The people down here cant' even drive in rain, much less snow and slush. They called off schools here for four days or so on the last storm which laid about 4-6 inches across the county. All the roads were dry as a bone by day 4, but because it was still melting and supposed to freeze that night, they were afraid of black ice. That decision was made at 5pm the day before, and the low was 34 overnight... kids are going to be making it up on Saturdays too.

Of course, they did get sued about 3 years ago when they didn't call off a day like that and somebody got killed in a car wreck coming to school...

Welcome to the great state of North Carolina, where we tax you to death, lie about the illegally obtained lottery, and can't figure out whether we're a red or blue state in the meantime. It's a great life!

Brent,

I understand, I was just messing with you guys. :)

It's all about bing prepared to deal with the snow, like Frank Farrel makes a living being prepared for the unexpected. :D

Since there is normally no snow, you guys probably have like 1 snow plow in the entire state and no salt to spread on the roads to speak of.

I do remember the first time I was working in Evansville IN that it snowed. (a place I work at at least once a year, but I'm normally not there when it might snow) I start driving just as would around home... get to the first intersection, just tap the brakes and poof, I just floated on through the intersection like I hadn't even tried to stop. LOL. Luckily for me there was no one there so it wasn't a huge deal. Lesson learned!

When I got to the theatre I asked "don't you Hoosiers know about rock salt?"... they were like... salt... hell we only have like 3 snow plows.. :)

Compare that to one time when I was driving through up state NY during the winter and I saw a truck that could literally plow the entire 2 lane highway in a single pass, it had these two extra blades on the side of the truck that swept down in addition to the main front blade. That thing could clear some serious snow... it was awesome to watch.. and even better to follow behind by a hundred yards or so. :)

Wink0r
02-06-2010, 02:27 PM
cant' even drive in rain, much less snow and slush
'Tis true. When I lived in Louisville many years ago there were designated snow routes, much like the hurricane evacuation routes in the coastal south. I saw snow removal on I-65 south of Louisville with a road grader.

I passed through Nashville returning from the mid-west to Florida before I-24 was complete through town. There was a little snow. I passed locals stuck on small hills, and even stopped and continued up the hill all with Florida street tires.

Much of the south has no snow removal or sand/salt trucks in inventory. People see snow so infrequently that they never learn to drive on snow.

RBIngraham
02-06-2010, 02:38 PM
'Tis true. When I lived in Louisville many years ago there were designated snow routes, much like the hurricane evacuation routes in the coastal south. I saw snow removal on I-65 south of Louisville with a road grader.

I passed through Nashville returning from the mid-west to Florida before I-24 was complete through town. There was a little snow. I passed locals stuck on small hills, and even stopped and continued up the hill all with Florida street tires.

Much of the south has no snow removal or sand/salt trucks in inventory. People see snow so infrequently that they never learn to drive on snow.

I see a new business opportunity here. I'm going to start advertising "Tricky Dick's Inclement Weather Driving School". :)

Come learn how to really drive a car, in all sorts of weather. LOL.

Advertise it as an adventure vacation in the north. :p

Brent Evans
02-06-2010, 03:24 PM
Brent,

I understand, I was just messing with you guys. :)

It's all about bing prepared to deal with the snow, like Frank Farrel makes a living being prepared for the unexpected. :D

Since there is normally no snow, you guys probably have like 1 snow plow in the entire state and no salt to spread on the roads to speak of.

I do remember the first time I was working in Evansville IN that it snowed. (a place I work at at least once a year, but I'm normally not there when it might snow) I start driving just as would around home... get to the first intersection, just tap the brakes and poof, I just floated on through the intersection like I hadn't even tried to stop. LOL. Luckily for me there was no one there so it wasn't a huge deal. Lesson learned!

When I got to the theatre I asked "don't you Hoosiers know about rock salt?"... they were like... salt... hell we only have like 3 snow plows.. :)

Compare that to one time when I was driving through up state NY during the winter and I saw a truck that could literally plow the entire 2 lane highway in a single pass, it had these two extra blades on the side of the truck that swept down in addition to the main front blade. That thing could clear some serious snow... it was awesome to watch.. and even better to follow behind by a hundred yards or so. :)

What's rock salt? :D Down here they spray the roads with brine water before nasty weather and put down slag (salty gravel) after the snow, before they plow. This creates a situation where the roads have the consistency of a nice slushie. It's the fourth state of water - neither solid nor liquid, but somewhere in between, and it can perpetuate for days!

And as for plows.... they usually just hire out motorgraders for that, or bolt on plows on the front of other trucks.

I knew you were making fun, but what makes it so funny is that its all true.

Tim Miskimon
02-06-2010, 04:32 PM
I think "global warming" is a misleading phrase and that "climate change" - where things just get plain ol' freaky with more extremes in both directions - is a lot better descriptor of what may (or may not) be going on.

Best regards,
Steve Berson

I prefer to call it mother nature...;)
The longer you live the more you realize the climate & weather goes in cycles.
In the 70s they said the globe was cooling... my father said the 1930s were cold as hell.
With all this talk about climate change it seems no one ever considers the most important thing - the SUN. It's left out of all the discussions - personally I think it's all a big joke - but hey that's me (as I move more snow & ice)...:D

TotalSonic
02-06-2010, 04:42 PM
I prefer to call it mother nature...;)
The longer you live the more you realize the climate & weather goes in cycles.
In the 70s they said the globe was cooling... my father said the 1930s were cold as hell.
With all this talk about climate change it seems no one ever considers the most important thing - the SUN. It's left out of all the discussions - personally I think it's all a big joke - but hey that's me (as I move more snow & ice)...:D

Yeah - but in the 70's when I was a kid I could sit out in the sun without sunscreen for hours without burning. Nowadays - I burn up after an hour. Some people might say this is simply due to aging - but you could also just as easily point to changes that have been measured in the thickness in the ozone layer that have occurred just in my lifetime. So things might have the potential to move faster in "mother nature" than we might want them to.

Personally I think climate change in terms of it's imminent effect is a very small concern in comparison to resource depletion (particularly fossil fuels) - but that's a discussion way better suited for a forum other than this one!

Best regards,
Steve Berson

soundtrack2life
02-06-2010, 05:48 PM
Got hit with at least 2 feet of snow here in Southern NJ. Plus with the wind I had some pretty decent drifts. . . . . had to really push my door to get it open. I just heard we are in for about the same amount in a few days :eek:
Joe

soundtrack2life
02-06-2010, 05:49 PM
Oh yeah did I mention how much I hate the f'ing snow :rolleyes:
Joe

John Ludlow
02-06-2010, 10:19 PM
We had finally almost gotten rid of all the snow that fell on us during that week around Xmas. Then, Friday it began to come down like a Perry Como commemorative record. Huge, wet, flakes and it stuck to the tree branches and turned them all white and the evergreens and their branches were deformed looking from being weighed down. I don't know how much it snowed, but it was a lot. When I went to lunch I cleaned it off the top of my car and 30 minutes later there was another inch on it. And it did that for hour after hour.

But - it was above freezing and it all melted just a little slower than it accumulated till it finally stopped around 4pm. By 6pm the streets and the trees were all clear and traffic was back to normal. We're supposed to have somewhere between 4 and 7 inches on Sunday night and Monday. I wonder whether that will stick or not.

Here in KC it's been warmer the last few winters. But, I don't ever remember getting as much snow as we've had this year. Also, extremes in temperature. Although on average it's warmer - little groups of days have been extremely cold.

Wink0r
02-06-2010, 11:10 PM
I had some pretty decent drifts. . . . . had to really push my door to get it open.
I have a friend in Sturgis, SD. He has a door in the side of his house about 3-4 feet off the ground. There is no porch or step. It looks a little silly in the first week in August, but I am sure that he has been glad that it was there more than once.

jazzboxmaker
02-07-2010, 03:18 AM
You guys are getting a little bit of our weather seems. It's been several years since we got any kind of snow at all and the last couple of Winters have been progressively warmer.

As us Northerners know from lake effect snow, you get clobbered when unusually warm moist air hits cold.

The thing that makes me wonder is that the seasons around here seem to have shifted too with a later Fall and Winter. Looks like some areas have gotten colder but some have gotten warmer too.

I am not so quick to laugh off this stuff- yeah CO2 production is up but nobody's talking about methane which is something like 20x more damaging. Methane production has grown enormously due to the carnivore diet requiring huge feedlots. Add the problem of destruction of forests/rainforests to accommodate more meat production which reduces the Earth's ability to convert the CO2 to O2.

I just wonder what we're leaving our kids/grandchildren

soundtrack2life
02-07-2010, 05:35 AM
With all the snow and cold we are seeing this winter. . . . . I am thinking global warming is a thing of the past LOL :rolleyes:
Joe

Pedro Itriago
02-07-2010, 06:35 AM
I just wonder what we're leaving our kids/grandchildren

I have more pressing & shorter-coming issues I'm more afraid of, like when will venezuela be officially recognized as a cuban colony.

In this case, I have contradict Yes' song: If your summer changes to winter, yours is no disgrace.

Tim Miskimon
02-07-2010, 09:16 AM
With all the snow and cold we are seeing this winter. . . . . I am thinking global warming is a thing of the past LOL :rolleyes:
Joe

It'a all a cycle - the globe warms & than it cools - over & over again throughout all time.

I'm more worried some terrorist group/country will let off a bomb that will block out the sun - we will see global cooling like never before - plants won't grow & we will all die.
That's more of a reality than some Al Gore/man-made global warming farce.

Pedro Itriago
02-07-2010, 01:16 PM
I'm more worried some terrorist group/country will let off a bomb that will block out the sun - we will see global cooling like never before - plants won't grow & we will all die.

Don't worry about that. venezuelan uranium is directly going to teheran. I'm sure Gore has that one covered.

Steve L
02-08-2010, 06:19 AM
After the ice storm we had in Kentucky last year my wife and I did fine without power for 5 1/2 days (fireplace, food, water, radio, gas grill, books) What was funny was the older (over 40) people coming in to my shop afterwards talking about how their kids totally lost it when their ipods/iphones/laptops died and couldn't be recharged. Poor babies didn't know how to socialize without a keyboard.
The joke in Kentucky is about how everyone has to get their "milk, bread, pop, beer, and cigarettes" before the snow hits (usually 2-4 inches).
And No they can't drive here either......
Steve L.

John Ludlow
02-08-2010, 07:25 AM
Well... Global Warming will soon be a thing of the past as we spiral back toward Global Cooling. You see, someone has developed an engine that produces more energy than it uses. I've been following a little Irish engineering companies effort to bring this technology to market, off and on, for the past four years.

Recently, they've come out of the shadows (again) and held a public demonstration of it. Second law of thermodynamics aside, I'm not enough of an electrical engineer to poke serious holes in their demonstration of overunity. But - they've got a scope showing watts-in/watts-out and there's more coming out than going in. You can see more here: www.steorn.com (http://www.steorn.com). The best bits are on the youTube links - especially the recent two of the demonstration.

Personally, against all common sense, I'm hoping for a little box in my basement that provides all the power for my home, another one for my car preventing me from making stops at the filling station, and a third that goes nowhere - just for show.

RBIngraham
02-08-2010, 09:11 AM
After the ice storm we had in Kentucky last year my wife and I did fine without power for 5 1/2 days (fireplace, food, water, radio, gas grill, books) What was funny was the older (over 40) people coming in to my shop afterwards talking about how their kids totally lost it when their ipods/iphones/laptops died and couldn't be recharged. Poor babies didn't know how to socialize without a keyboard.
The joke in Kentucky is about how everyone has to get their "milk, bread, pop, beer, and cigarettes" before the snow hits (usually 2-4 inches).
And No they can't drive here either......
Steve L.

That's why you keep a power inverter in your car! :)

And spring for the car phone charger.

I would have been pissed off as well. But that's mostly because I need AC power to do my job and if I'm not working I lose money and/or valuable time.

A good friend of mine lives in Louisville. He had no electricity for an entire week.

I think what I find funny is situations like those is how few clerks know how to make change without something doing it for them. I've had to tell them how much they own me. :p (things you learn when you were a paperboy for all of junior high and high school!)

Naturally Digital
02-08-2010, 11:53 PM
Recently, they've come out of the shadows (again) and held a public demonstration of it. Second law of thermodynamics aside, I'm not enough of an electrical engineer to poke serious holes in their demonstration of overunity. But - they've got a scope showing watts-in/watts-out and there's more coming out than going in. You can see more here: www.steorn.com (http://www.steorn.com). The best bits are on the youTube links - especially the recent two of the demonstration.Oddly enough, their website seems to be down. Here are some YouTube links:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAk3tiaOewo&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/user/SteornOfficial

Bruce Callaway
02-09-2010, 03:30 AM
Oddly enough, their website seems to be down. Here are some YouTube links:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAk3tiaOewo&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/user/SteornOfficialLooks bogus IMHO....

John Ludlow
02-09-2010, 07:48 AM
Looks bogus IMHO....

The site's up now, Naturally.

Well, I suppose it's safe to say that anyone who contradicts Newton is going to get some flack - deserves to get some flack. Newton has really stood the test of time. And anything as outrageous as claiming that your device creates energy requires really big proof. That's what everyone has been saying for four years - including Steorn (when they weren't saying that anyone who contradicts an established theory is just plain wrong).

So, now they've come forward with a demonstration and measurements that involve a scope. And, with the way that their device works, you couldn't really just slap a watt-a-meter on both sides - you really have to measure the cumulative energy on both sides over time and then compare that. That's what their oscilloscope is supposedly doing. After all, their device is plexiglass, so they're not hiding anything there. If they're screwing with anything it has to be the scope.

They don't really act like frauds, is the thing. All this month there are people who will be allowed to bring there own instruments to the device to measure whatever they want. They have released how-to-duplicate-it documents to 300 replicators who are currently working on re-creations. They collected millions in investor money years ago and have not disappeared to Bermuda with it. Instead, they have been spending it for four years taking out patents on ways to leverage their 'discovery' so that every time someone produces free energy - Steorn gets a nickle. That doesn't mean that I believe them - only that I'm out of objections. So, I'm not saying that they necessarily have what they say they do, only that they seem to - but that does make it a very interesting story.

Richard Rupert
02-09-2010, 08:42 AM
I'm afraid I know a little less than nothing about mechanical engineering, so I sent a link to the article to a friend of mine who isan engineer.
His response was this (for your reading enjoyment):
Well, I may be completely wrong (my classmates used to refer to me as "Often Wrong Uebelhoer") HOWEVER, I am thinking that this is a very sophisticated variation of smoke and mirrors.

The optical trigger is the curious part….

What is this opto coupler reporting to, and what is that device doing precisely?

AND, of course, where is it getting it's energy supply?

Let's let that last point alone for the moment (even though curious minds want to know) and concentrate on this controlling device's purpose and actions. If this controller were absent, the motor would simply accelerate at a rate limited by the energy and component values, and we would certainly see a voltage drop and current increase as the Wizard…ah..I mean lecturer points out. Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain Dorothy!!!

But I digress…..ahem.

If this trigger is controlling the delta RPM, and since the acceleration is pretty obviously slow - it would be very, very difficult to detect the small changes in voltage and current in such a small application that was caused by said slow acceleration, even with a sensitive scope. We cannot see the ranges that the scope is set for, but surely it is in the 0-20 volt range and maybe 0-10 mA current, so any tiny drops in voltage or increases in current would not be obvious on this scale. A 0.25 mA increase in current or a 0.1 VDC drop would be invisible.

And, if the theory is true; why wouldn't the acceleration continue until component failure, either electrical or mechanical, occurred? He states it tops out at 1250 RPM and such a spindle would be able to reach speeds of thousands of RPMs before it came apart. If unpowered acceleration is indeed occurring it would be limited only by the current carrying ability of the coils or the maximum centrifugal limit of the shaft/magnet assembly. Hmmmmmm…it must be limited by power, and thus disproves any apparent "gain" in net energy.

And what about frictional losses of the rotatable and the resistance (of the torrid coils) losses? Neither mentioned nor accounted for.

If these factors are added to the equation; what is the net energy gain? Bupkis I suspect.

I expect that when this is fully vetted that we shall find that ole' Newton's principles still hold, and that is to say that energy is neither created nor destroyed. It merely changes form. Newton was a smart guy, and I believe he knew that there is one basic, unassailable principle - and that is that there is no free lunch.

These "perpetual motion" schemes are so popular because, like God and the afterlife, people want to believe. Heck, I built many variations of this same scheme as a kid, and was always disappointed. We also tend to believe (for very sound reasons mind you) that powerful forces with vested interests in energy want to prevent such "inventions" from reaching a wide audience. I know I did. But the truth is mighty and will out. Something this big would shortly be front page news and there would be no stopping it. Did the horse carriage industry quash motorcars and trains - nyet.

But we should not be disappointed. We should rejoice that we have such a sound and staying principle upon which to build.

Yes, indeed…. what we need Sir is to embrace Newton and his laws and to utilize them to find a methods to GENERATE power efficiently and cleanly. Making electric motors more efficient is great, but it does not solve the basic problem. Clean and abundant power, and using it wisely and efficiently is where the miracle lies. And man's quest for these solutions? Now there's a perpetual motion theory I can believe in!

Thanks for sending this though…it was an interesting bit to think about.

Fred

I won't take up any more SAW forum space on this subject, but I thought this to be a reasoned reply...It's a very interesting thread however. :)

Wink0r
02-09-2010, 10:47 AM
They are not the only ones on this wagon:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nA2KtZ45nXA

Tim Miskimon
02-09-2010, 01:57 PM
Gee they had a few volt meters sitting on the sides of the unit.
Funny how they never zoomed in on the meters to show what the unit was putting out.
I have a lot of old tape machine parts sitting around - maybe I'll built a fake in my spare time while I'm waiting for all this snow to melt...:)

Wink0r
02-09-2010, 02:18 PM
maybe I'll built a fake in my spare time while I'm waiting for all this snow to melt...
Do you have enough voltmeters??

John Ludlow
02-09-2010, 06:50 PM
I'm afraid I know a little less than nothing about mechanical engineering, so I sent a link to the article to a friend of mine who isan engineer.
His response was this (for your reading enjoyment):

I won't take up any more SAW forum space on this subject, but I thought this to be a reasoned reply...It's a very interesting thread however. :)

I can't say whether Steorn's device is what they say it is or not, so I won't defend them for very long. But, your friends reply wasn't completely reasonable either. Their measurement of gain is after the loss from friction - so there could only be more energy gained, not less. The power supply is a battery that can easily be seen in the video. The reason for the optical trigger is to turn on the coils for a brief period of time each revolution (providing the power to turn the flywheel). The speed of the flywheel is controlled by power provided to the coils by the battery - so, the energy is not being re-invested in the speed of the flywheel: it won't continually go faster. The gain is not due to acceleration of the flywheel, it's due to a magnet passing by a stationary coil - producing electricity as output (and, presumaby, also providing a braking force on the flywheel which the magnetic force from the coils is overcoming in addition to friction).

The oscilloscope is monitoring the measurement of voltage and current coming in from the battery, and current being output from the output coil against a known resistor. So - both incoming watts and outgoing watts can be calculated. Since electricity from the battery is being used in 20 degree bursts (controlled by the optical trigger) and is being output from a magnet that passes, only periodically, by a coil - the scope is measuring wattage in and out cumulatively over time to avoid the issue of comparing apples to oranges (input bursts vrs. output bursts). It seems like a pretty well thought out test to me.

But - I didn't meant to cause a flurry of opinion here. This IS way off topic. I just think it's a very interesting story that people might enjoy. If true - it's more important than the invention of fire. If not (which still seems likely to me... somehow) it's a very good show. This latest demo, and the offer of hands-on testing by the learned public, and the large number of people who are currently, with instruction from Steorn, attempting to replicate ups the ante by a very great deal. If Steorn is a flim-flam operation - how can they possibly survive the combination, and why would they invite it upon themselves? Very good entertainment indeed.

As for other magnetic motors - there must be at least 50 people on the internet who are trying to convince anyone who will listen that they've got OU. But - those stories all have one or more things in common: the inventor mysteriously disappears, or his invention is stolen by men in black helicopters, or he will not allow anyone to look closely before purchase (if at all) or the list of people who paid but couldn't replicate is long, or he is not capable of providing engineering-level figures, and etc. Steorn, as a legitimate engineering company is, at worst, the red herring of the group.

Bruce Callaway
02-10-2010, 01:16 AM
They are not the only ones on this wagon:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nA2KtZ45nXA

From: http://www.cheniere.org/Sounds a bit like the claim made in recent history that someone had created cold fusion in a beaker ;)

John Ludlow
02-10-2010, 07:38 AM
Sounds a bit like the claim made in recent history that someone had created cold fusion in a beaker ;)

It does - except in that one the researchers were forced into the lime light by their university (by surprise, no less!) before they could explain what was going on in the beaker themselves. Twenty years later that experiment is still (more quietly) being carried out (including by DARPA, the US Navy, and others) and there are several who have replicated it. The original difficulty was apparently due to the need for specific impurities in the palladium (if I remember correctly - not a physicist either).

http://www.infinite-energy.com/iemagazine/issue85/americanphysicalsociety.html

http://physicsworld.com/cws/article/print/1258

Frankly, the reaction that Pons and Fleischman reported seems true at this point. Whether it's actually cold fusion is up for debate, and the amount of energy that can be generated per gram of (expensive) palladium is currently too small to be useful. I watched a documentary on TV about a list of retired physicists who have continued to do research in this area at home - mostly because it's interesting to them and relatively cheap as nuclear physics in your basement goes.

John Ludlow
02-10-2010, 08:01 AM
Whoops! I was wrong about there being reasonable debate as to whether it was cold fusion or not. The US Navy seems to have recently proved that nuclear fusion is taking place in their beaker:

http://www.scienceblog.com/cms/us-navy-scientists-claim-cold-fusion-breakthrough-19762.html

Who knows what might have happened if the marketing guy at U of Utah hadn't spilled the beans prematurely? He ended up making Pons and Fleischmann the butt of jokes internationally for two decades and, essentially, ended their careers. I guess they get the last laugh now. Anyway - Orbo isn't nearly as far along, in the proving, as Cold Fusion - so the comparison is probably not apt.

ivanoff
02-10-2010, 05:25 PM
Which of you sneezing today, with the "butterfly effect" it's snowing tonight in Clermont-Ferrand. :D

jazzboxmaker
02-12-2010, 12:01 PM
good for a laugh between shoveling
http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/wed-february-10-2010/unusually-large-snowstorm

Our storm predicted 6-10" , we got 2". Haven't seen more than 3" at a time here all Winter where we would have gotten pounded a few times by now. Not like I miss coming home from a 24 hour shift and shoveling my way into the driveway :rolleyes: but reservoirs will be pretty low this Spring if this keeps up.

Tim Miskimon
02-12-2010, 06:04 PM
good for a laugh between shoveling
http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/wed-february-10-2010/unusually-large-snowstorm

Our storm predicted 6-10" , we got 2". Haven't seen more than 3" at a time here all Winter where we would have gotten pounded a few times by now. Not like I miss coming home from a 24 hour shift and shoveling my way into the driveway :rolleyes: but reservoirs will be pretty low this Spring if this keeps up.

Let me know and we'll send you some of our snow so your reservoirs don't dry up.
They should have held the winter olympics in Baltimore this year...:D

Brent Evans
02-12-2010, 09:17 PM
Aaaaand it starts again. We already have 2 inches in 4 hours, and it's supposed to go hard until morning.

studio-c
02-16-2010, 12:52 PM
Here's what we got for the studio, for those snowy days without power...

It's made by Rockwell. A bit pricy, but you get what you pay for.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXJKdh1KZ0w

Cheers,
Scott

Richard Rupert
02-17-2010, 10:32 PM
Gotta git me one 'o dem things.

Who cares how much it costs? Can you imagine what your studio rate card could be with one of those in house? No need to rent one for those "difficult sessions".