PDA

View Full Version : Peavey PC1600x fader pack

mattaudio
02-09-2010, 12:54 PM
Anybody used it?

brettbrandon
02-09-2010, 09:34 PM
I have an old PC1600 unit but have not tried it because the faders are not motor controlled. When you change scenes, the faders don't change with it. That means if the selection isn't the same as the new scene called up, the the volume will jump to the new fader position the second you move it. I wouldn't try anything without motorized faders.

mattaudio
02-10-2010, 08:14 AM
I guess that's a minor detail ;-)

I just assumed that any unit that has faders which aren't summing up audio within that unit MUST be motorized.

RBIngraham
02-10-2010, 09:29 AM
I guess that's a minor detail ;-)

I just assumed that any unit that has faders which aren't summing up audio within that unit MUST be motorized.

Nope. Not until the big bad B unit came along did the el cheapo controllers have motors in them. Pretty much killed the Peavey unit. For what it's worth, that is still a very nice unit to have. The faders on those are much smoother than most in my opinion.

I would use one if I could pick it up cheap or I had one. You just need to set it up as a generic MIDI controller, so each fader would transmit MIDI CC #7 on each of the 16 respective MIDI channels and it should work with the general MIDI controller set up.

Just move the 16 channels you want to control all the way to the left on your F-Mixer and turn off the chase control surface stuff (which I do all the time anyway) and it could be usable. The only downside would be if you wanted to automate any of those channels with Scenes. Then the control surface faders would have the potential of not matching what's really going on in SAC.

It depends on your needs.