PDA

View Full Version : First show with SAW/Sheena Easton

IraSeigel
02-20-2010, 12:36 PM
Our first show with SAW running all our tracks last night at the Lancaster (CA) PAC went very well.

The tracks sounded really good - so much cleaner and with more definition and control than with our old Roland HD.

Our MD, Joe Spraker, said it will be a simple matter to tighten up some fades and some click "count-ins" with some simple edits, and then all he'll have to do is hit the Spacebar each time he wants to start the next song. (I might even help him with the edits :eek:)

Sheena loved the sound and clarity of the tracks on SAW.

Ira

sebastiandybing
02-20-2010, 01:55 PM
sounds good :)
Sebastian

UpTilDawn
02-20-2010, 02:07 PM
That's great Ira! Very cool!

Warren
02-20-2010, 02:12 PM
Our first show with SAW running all our tracks last night at the Lancaster (CA) PAC went very well.

The tracks sounded really good - so much cleaner and with more definition and control than with our old Roland HD.

Our MD, Joe Spraker, said it will be a simple matter to tighten up some fades and some click "count-ins" with some simple edits, and then all he'll have to do is hit the Spacebar each time he wants to start the next song. (I might even help him with the edits :eek:)

Sheena loved the sound and clarity of the tracks on SAW.

Ira

GREAT Ira !!

I used to live in Lancaster, Ca. LPAC is a nice theater for the area its located in. Glad to hear it worked out ok.

All the best

Chris

Bob L
02-20-2010, 03:50 PM
Good news... it was certainly a journey extracting those tracks from the Roland.

Once you get comfortable with the new playback concepts Ira, you might be interested in taking it to the next level... using a remote... you can hook into the playback machine Joe is triggering and gain mix control of all the tracks in SAWStudio during the performance... even though you are still only receiving stem feeds from the limited soundcard devices.

You can essentially control every one of the playback tracks remotely... using the SAWStudio virtual console... so that includes eq and dynamics control as well as fader levels...

Bob L

mojogil
02-20-2010, 06:06 PM
Nice job Ira!
I'm putting together the same type of thing. Just figured the remote out tonight. It seriously could not get any simpler. If the drummer hits a wrong key or gets screwed up, I can help out from FOH.
Gil

Bill Park
02-21-2010, 02:23 AM
I had to do a similar thing for Barry Manalow's Copacabana over the summer. The hardest part was extracting the multitracks from the hard disk recorder the show had been using. I've done this before. Usually there is some issue about pushing the start time of each region forward or back for the conductor to match his count and timing, but either the house guy did the trims or it was right the first time. (and that WOULD be a first.)

Mark Stebbeds
02-21-2010, 12:12 PM
Good news... it was certainly a journey extracting those tracks from the Roland.

Why was that? A proprietary file format or something?

I had a similar experience trying to extract files from some a hard drive srom sort of Fostex device (I think) several years ago. Conversion attempts were too complicated, so real time playback was the most efficient and reliable way to get it done. Had to send the Fostex machine via UPS.

Mark

Bob L
02-21-2010, 12:32 PM
The system was so slow and kunky trying to dump the files... and I could not get the harddrive recognized externally... so I was then left with trying to dump the individual track files on CDs... this proved to be nuts... so I ended up having to learn the internal routing and direct assign the tracks to the 8 available physical outs... use MTC sync to dump the tracks in multiple passes to SAWStudio... since there were more than 8 tracks involved.

All in all... if I never have to see one of those machines again... it will be too soon. :)

Bob L

IraSeigel
02-21-2010, 12:33 PM

Once you get comfortable with the new playback concepts Ira, you might be interested in taking it to the next level... using a remote... you can hook into the playback machine Joe is triggering and gain mix control of all the tracks in SAWStudio during the performance... even though you are still only receiving stem feeds from the limited soundcard devices.

You can essentially control every one of the playback tracks remotely... using the SAWStudio virtual console... so that includes eq and dynamics control as well as fader levels...

Bob L

Well, now that the tracks are so clear and with full dynamic range (!!), it might be nice to have that control - to step on some hi perc parts that seem to cut, or some low vocal "oooohs" that can overwhelm things.

I'll give it a go. I've got a D-Link N setup that should easily do the trick. And I can run my own copy (!) of Lite. I could probably bring my own Fireface 800 or Digiface/ADA8000 and get all tracks separate, couldn't I?

Thanks for the suggestion and all the good work you did on this, helping Joe, etc. It's really improved the sound of the show and given Sheena a lot of flexibility in changing her set list each night.

Ira

Bob L
02-21-2010, 12:40 PM
You really gain nothing from getting all the tracks separate physically... since you have tiotal separation control from the remote linked into SAWStudio...

Consider the internal Virtual Console in SS as your mix control.... you have eq, compression... etc on each track... what do you gain from running 16 cables to your FOH mixer... nothing but possible noise and hum.

Bob L