PDA

View Full Version : Mix feedback

mikebuzz2
03-06-2010, 08:23 PM
Hey all can I get your feedback on this mix ? , it is for our next album and I am responsible for the mix's and I cant always trust my ears, after all Im am HIP deep into this ( writing eng. playing producing etc. )

Thanks
Buzz
:D:D

Title : Feel me , use the link below

Feel Me 1A.mp3 (http://www.4shared.com/file/235845814/18ccd0ad/Feel_Me_1A.html)

Iain Westland
03-07-2010, 04:07 AM
reminds me of shine down, Nickleback and a host of other AOR bands, not that thats a bad thing.

I would have tried to soften the opening strings, a bit brittle before the vocals. Find the verb at the start puts too much air in, moves him away from the strings rather than playing with the strings.

try a 1-2 db duck on the solo guitar keyed of the vocs, longish release.

mix for mastering wher the second half with be squashed but the first will reain dynamic.

I really like this, when can I buy the album?

iain

Mark Stebbeds
03-07-2010, 12:43 PM
What Ian said. A bit less verb on the opening vocal lines for me. A tad more kick and snare, and pull the lead guitar back into the track. Strings sound OK to me.

Minor tweaks.

Mark

Bruce Callaway
03-07-2010, 03:19 PM
What Mark and Ian said, sounds OK overall to me

ffarrell
03-07-2010, 04:51 PM
timing on drums and gtr at the end maybe a bit off. Lead Gtr back. Drums seam a bit small. lead vocal maybe pitchie on holding notes ,

Your very close , good work so far.

fvf

Tim Miskimon
03-07-2010, 07:28 PM
Buzz,
I would lower the lead guitar a tad.
The only reason I say that is because when the lead vocal comes back in after the center solo it sounds smaller than the guitar.
The only thing that really bothers me about the mix is the bass guitar.
It lacks depth and seems lost in the mix.
I don't know if EQ can fix it or if it needs to be rerecorded but it's missing life and is causing an otherwise good mix to sound empty.

By the way - nice song & I think the overall mix is nice.

mikebuzz2
03-08-2010, 02:11 AM
Thanks ALL !! , the feedback really helps me , I will look into the bass gtr issue , Not sure if I 1176'd it ? I normally do the 1176 really helps to glue the bass down.
I am aware of the lead gtr , in the plans.

Again THANKS !!
:cool:

AcousticGlue
03-08-2010, 04:32 AM
The fades that are occurring seem somewhat premature or there are compression artifacts going on that are leaving it feel this way. The lead jumps a bit out too much. Just a bit, I like the effect of it but too much. But when singer holds notes the fades leave me feel like hearing is going.

Bud Johnson
03-08-2010, 09:48 AM
Really like the song as well.
Just an additional thought, the lead guitar solo might be a candidate for re-amping if you have a good room for it. Just to add some dimension to it.

Cary B. Cornett
03-08-2010, 05:28 PM
I find myself pretty much in agreement with the comments of others here, except that sometimes re-amping can be helpful even if you do not have a "nice" room to do it in. The room where I keep my guitar rig and Leslie is little more than a short wide hallway, yet I have been able to get decent and useful results with re-amping (including pushing keyboard tracks through the Leslie) in that space.

Bud Johnson
03-08-2010, 07:19 PM
Cary, we agree.
Good is defined on an application by application basis. A small room with massive comb filtering could be perfect for the right song/instrument/effect-etc.

UpTilDawn
03-08-2010, 08:54 PM
And guitar through a Leslie is ALWAYS a great sound. :)

mikebuzz2
03-09-2010, 02:30 AM
No Leslie !! , but I will try a re-amp , I;ve done this back through the studio monitors before and it worked well ! I don't have a safety/clean track so ??

working on it tomorrow , I've been lazy and needed to clear my ears.

And thanks for the Kudos on the song , I will make it available here when done

mikebuzz2
03-22-2010, 02:43 PM
Ok I fianlly got back to this song , I went over everything that was listed earlier in the thread.

Try this on for size ?? let me know what you think honestly:D
[/URL][url]http://www.4shared.com/file/235845814/18ccd0ad/Feel_Me_1A.html (http://dc146.4shared.com/download/247040112/b8a92478/feel_me_Mix_1A.mp3)

I updated the file there waS A clip !! , that is happening with LACE in SAW ? not sure why no clipping in SAW ?

Thanks
Buzz

bcorkery
03-22-2010, 06:34 PM
Nice steady build. I agree that the lead guitar comes in a little aggressive so then it has to find its way back into the mix, give it somewhere to go. I also agree that the verb at the beginning is a little much. I'd start cleaner and bring the it back as things get thickerer. I like it a lot!

Mark Stebbeds
03-22-2010, 06:38 PM
If you're getting feedback while you're mixing, it usually means you need to turn something down.

Mark

mikebuzz2
03-22-2010, 09:26 PM
You mean turn the talkback mic OFF ! ?

Bud Johnson
03-22-2010, 09:39 PM
First, I really like the song and the mix...I mean huge.
Couple things jumped at me. I might give the strings some rancor in the choruses. They won't compete with anything and I think add to the tension.
The lead guitar is now in the same place/space as the band, but it's tone (I think) is what bugs me. Disregard at will, but I think it's very dark and so is the band. I would look for a brighter, perhaps thinner sound. Yes I think that's it, it is very thick. Subjective terminology, but you get the idea... I hope.
2 cents and a hall pass.
Read my 1st line again.

mako
03-22-2010, 09:41 PM
Well done Mike, though I was also a bit thrown by the beginning of the lead break.

Good stuff

cheers mako

Cary B. Cornett
03-23-2010, 07:41 AM
I like where it's going overall. The lead guitar should not dominate the vocal. At least for this song, the solo should come in at about the same level the vocal was, and should be kept about even with the vocal or just behind it. Remember, the lead has lots of "bite" which will still cut through the track even with the level down a bit. I would also consider a little delay + verb on the lead guitar, especially after the vocal comes back in. Try playing with about 600 mS on the delay and tweak to fit tempo. These FX should be just barely noticeable on the guitar except if there are a couple of "emphasis" points you want to hit. (At least that's what I hear.)

On the reamp thing: If you don't have a clean track to work with, then keep the re-amp rig setting clean. The idea is to get some of the inherent coloration of amp + speaker + mic(s) (maybe also + room a bit). Think of them acting as an EQ far more subtle and complex than any console or plugin EQ, because to some extent that is exactly what they are.

mikebuzz2
03-23-2010, 01:35 PM
Im gonna just retrack the lead part , I got a new ENGL head and used it ? , I will try a different setup maybe my 68 Marshall 18 watter and a strat.

Again thanks for all the help guys ! :D