PDA

View Full Version : SAC Wiki

gdougherty
03-16-2010, 09:32 AM
Wiki Home
http://softwareaudioconsole.wikidot.com/

Command Reference
http://softwareaudioconsole.wikidot.com/keys

This is very much a work in progress. I'm currently mining the help file for all the useful command shortcuts. You can preview what I've done so far.

For anyone that has time and interest to get involved in this effort, wikidot's free hosting allows up to 5 editor accounts. I can bring on 4 other editors beside myself so PM me if you feel up to it. Bob has granted permission to borrow verbiage from the SAC documentation as desired. I have a rough topical layout built into the menu navigation, but so far am not set on anything in particular.

RBIngraham
03-16-2010, 09:11 PM
Nice work! Looks great so far!

bcorkery
03-16-2010, 11:00 PM
George,

Nice work and a great idea!

Yogi
03-17-2010, 05:58 AM
George,
Why make it RML labs. Why not just SAC and cover all the interfaces?

gdougherty
03-17-2010, 07:37 AM
George,
Why make it RML labs. Why not just SAC and cover all the interfaces?

Are you asking about the reference on the home page? If so, over on ProSoundWeb's Church Sound forum I've come across people claiming to have used other SACs before. To them it's a generic term and I wanted to ensure it was clear this is dealing specifically with Bob's product.

Yogi
03-17-2010, 07:58 AM
Point taken. I'll crawl back into my hole now. After all it's not quite spring yet.

Carl G.
03-17-2010, 11:58 AM
Wiki Home

Command Reference
http://softwareaudioconsole.wikidot.com/keys

This is very much a work in progress. I'm currently mining the help file for all the useful command shortcuts. You can preview what I've done so far.

For anyone that has time and interest to get involved in this effort, wikidot's free hosting allows up to 5 editor accounts. I can bring on 4 other editors beside myself so PM me if you feel up to it. Bob has granted permission to borrow verbiage from the SAC documentation as desired. I have a rough topical layout built into the menu navigation, but so far am not set on anything in particular.

It looks great!

gdougherty
03-18-2010, 03:36 PM
Thanks for the encouragement. It's slow work reading through the manual and organizing things.

Outside of the occasional little tidbit here and there, I think the command shortcut reference is 95-99% complete. It contains most everything for navigation and control of the mixer.

Bud Johnson
03-20-2010, 11:35 AM
I found this one by accident. It's probably documented and I never saw it, I can make it happen most times.
In fader view or any mixer right then left click so they only briefly overlap.
Rather than resetting fader to 0 db, it brings up the memory save dialogue. A dangerous way to access it though as it can reset the fader as easily.

Bob L
03-20-2010, 11:44 AM
Instead of making it so tricky and difficult, to get the popup memory save/recall menu just do the same mouse chording as the reset to default... a left-right click... just do it in any area except over a control... you can also bring up this menu with an alt-right-click...

The mouse chording is easier if you first hold down the left mouse button, then tap the right button.

Bob L

gdougherty
03-20-2010, 12:06 PM
Instead of making it so tricky and difficult, to get the popup memory save/recall menu just do the same mouse chording as the reset to default... a left-right click... just do it in any area except over a control... you can also bring up this menu with an alt-right-click...

The mouse chording is easier if you first hold down the left mouse button, then tap the right button.

Bob L

On my setup, it seems to take a sharper right-click to pop-up the memory menu. On the reset I can hold the left button then press the right button and even hold it briefly. The store/recall menu right-click seems to assume you want to scroll vertically if you hold down the right button for just a hair too long. Maybe the right-hold scrolling shouldn't work with the left button depressed?

Phil
03-20-2010, 12:08 PM
thats how i get to the memory store/recall. way fast, had to slow down and show a trainee what i was doing. very powerful. i wonder if macros and variables might make the list.

Bud Johnson
03-20-2010, 12:08 PM
Very easy indeed. I never stop learning. It works in SS too! Very nice. Thanks Bob, and thanks gdougherty for a very helpful command list.

gdougherty
03-20-2010, 12:10 PM
I found this one by accident. It's probably documented and I never saw it, I can make it happen most times.
In fader view or any mixer right then left click so they only briefly overlap.
Rather than resetting fader to 0 db, it brings up the memory save dialogue. A dangerous way to access it though as it can reset the fader as easily.

Added, thanks for the note.

Bob L
03-20-2010, 06:58 PM
George... sounds like a little adjustment of your mouse timing parameters in the Windows Control Panel may be in order. :)

Bob L

gdougherty
03-20-2010, 08:35 PM
George... sounds like a little adjustment of your mouse timing parameters in the Windows Control Panel may be in order. :)

Bob L

I'd think so, except the left right click on the reset command works nicely and it's just the left-right on the store/recall menu. If I hold down the right button for just a bit too long, the up/down vertical scroll cursor turns on. I'm definitely holding down the left mouse button and not accidentally letting up on it.

Not sure what I'd adjust to fix that in the mouse settings.

Bob L
03-21-2010, 04:13 AM
Your mouse technique... don't hold the right button down... tap it.

Bob L

gdougherty
03-21-2010, 08:13 AM
Your mouse technique... don't hold the right button down... tap it.

Bob L

I am, I'm just saying on the store/recall menu I have to make sure it's a very sharp tap. It seemed like there might be a bug if the vertical scroll was being enabled while the left mouse click was being held.

Phil
03-21-2010, 09:21 AM
i notice if i hold the right i do get the vertical adjust. the right tap doesn't seem to be to sensitive to being quick on my mouse. easy to bring up. could be a seat-mouse error :) keep up the good work. i value your input and hope i can be a positive contributor too.

Bob L
03-21-2010, 11:03 AM
The right scroll delay everywhere in the program is set for 200ms... there is no code difference in any of the views for that function.

Bob L

gdougherty
03-21-2010, 11:35 AM
The right scroll delay everywhere in the program is set for 200ms... there is no code difference in any of the views for that function.

Bob L

But the right scroll won't engage if you're holding the left button down grabbing a resetable control. That's the difference.

Bob L
03-21-2010, 11:57 AM
It's been setup the current way for 10 years now in SAWStudio and I have never once had an issue popping up the save/recall menu... not sure it needs to be changed... But... I'll look into it.

Meanwhile... use the alt-right-click if the mouse chording is giving you difficulty.

Bob L

Phil
03-21-2010, 01:13 PM
i don't know if it helps, i noticed the l+r chording isn't available instantly like on faders or comp/gates. you have to hold L first long enough for the pop out fader to form. at least when i was testing for the att focus problem in another post . then tap R and it resets.

Bob L
03-21-2010, 01:40 PM
Obviously... for any control reset, the control must first be accessed.

The popup fader waits 200ms to see if you were going to just click to inc or dec rather than hold to popup the fader.

Once the fader is up, then you can reset it.

Explore how each of the control options operate... practice with them... then decide which you want to use... and then... move on. :)

Bob L

gdougherty
03-21-2010, 02:33 PM
It's been setup the current way for 10 years now in SAWStudio and I have never once had an issue popping up the save/recall menu... not sure it needs to be changed... But... I'll look into it.

Meanwhile... use the alt-right-click if the mouse chording is giving you difficulty.

Bob L

Thanks for taking a look. I've been in the habit of alt-right-clicking. This thread got me to look at the alternative and I'm a bit enamored with that. Kind of nice not to have to look over and find the alt key. It's a handy button combo.

brianb
03-27-2011, 09:59 AM
Wiki Home

I suggest that the plugin page be a list of known usable and known non-useable plugins. I've spent tons of wasted time trying to find plugins. Having a list of plugins would have been a wonderful tool.

It would even be good to provide three levels of CPU load - light medium heavy. Yes, I know that is subject to your processor, but we could all probably agree that Voxformer is heavy and Anwida DX Lite is Light. You could even do mixed levels: md-lt or md-hv

Ampeg Amplitube - md
Amplitube Fender - hv
Voxformer - hv
FreeG Limiter - lt

Brian

RBIngraham
03-27-2011, 01:17 PM
All it takes is someone that is willing to take the time to do it. :p

dbarrow
03-27-2011, 01:18 PM
Is there a SAW Wiki?

jlklein
03-27-2011, 05:32 PM
Command reference is very handy, nice job.

One comment on the Hardware FAQ...there's a small misprint about the Motormix:

"Other controllers, notably the MotorMix and Mackie HCU allow control of EQ and Dynamics parameters but cannot currently expand beyond 8 channels of control."

The Mackie is limited to 8 channels, however, SAC can utilize two Motormix units for 16 channels of faders as long as they have the correct firmware.

Jeff

NoFear13X
03-28-2011, 10:28 AM
Very cool dude! I've been wanting to add to my SAC how-to videos for the "visual learners" out there, but something as complex as SAC takes a toll! Rest assured, theres a big audience for a wiki or a video how-to. My videos cleared 1000 hits in the year they've been up, and they're not even good! A wiki will definitely be a huge help for newcomers (and veterans for that matter) and help cut down on the repetitive questions. Should leave us more time for Behringer flame wars! =P

In about a week, I should have a little more free time to lend a hand if you need it. Admitedly, I only breezed through the wiki for about a minute, so ignore any duplicates, but here are some thoughts for different categories (in no order whatsoever) --

hardware specs
popular audio interfaces
preamps
snake options
sawlink
SACremote and setup, networking security basics without adding network issues
control surfaces including BCF walkthrough
latency and buffers
plug-in's
why you NEED a UPS
touchscreen info, including the 3M and why other "multi-touch" options don't multi-touch
how to use the "search" function on the forums :rolleyes:

somewhere in there you can also talk about how "clipping" in sac isn't really clipping because of the digital headroom on input channels.

Frank DeWitt
03-28-2011, 12:49 PM
Very nice. Is it possible to download the entire site (not just a page) If so, I could put a copy on my SAC computer. (It doesn't know about the internet) Grin

Thanks

gdougherty
03-28-2011, 08:08 PM
Very cool dude! I've been wanting to add to my SAC how-to videos for the "visual learners" out there, but something as complex as SAC takes a toll! Rest assured, theres a big audience for a wiki or a video how-to. My videos cleared 1000 hits in the year they've been up, and they're not even good! A wiki will definitely be a huge help for newcomers (and veterans for that matter) and help cut down on the repetitive questions. Should leave us more time for Behringer flame wars! =P

In about a week, I should have a little more free time to lend a hand if you need it. Admitedly, I only breezed through the wiki for about a minute, so ignore any duplicates, but here are some thoughts for different categories (in no order whatsoever) --

hardware specs
popular audio interfaces
preamps
snake options
sawlink
SACremote and setup, networking security basics without adding network issues
control surfaces including BCF walkthrough
latency and buffers
plug-in's
why you NEED a UPS
touchscreen info, including the 3M and why other "multi-touch" options don't multi-touch
how to use the "search" function on the forums :rolleyes:

somewhere in there you can also talk about how "clipping" in sac isn't really clipping because of the digital headroom on input channels.

Some of those, like the BCF walkthrough, are already there. There are a handful of user accounts I can meet out for those who care to contribute so by all means, let me know.
While some of the hardware focused items might be nice, I wonder about the real usefulness of attacking those first. e8400 and e8500 chips were recommended for so long because they were what Bob had used in Vegas, though some of the Core i3 and i5 chips were already available, better and rapidly dropping in price. Technology changes so frequently that it would be a section that needs frequent revision in order not to become stale.

By contrast, I've had a number of people near beg for a guide to scenes and signal routing configuration. Some of the more complex issues that take some practice and a clear understanding of what you're doing and that thankfully shouldn't go stale, barring a major revision to the SAC workflow.

If you're jumping in to contribute to a Wiki, I won't tell you what you can and can't contribute, I'm just mentioning it as where I think the community could benefit the most. Good luck on the search feature explanation. It's hard enough to get people redirected to the wiki ;)

gdougherty
03-28-2011, 08:10 PM
Very nice. Is it possible to download the entire site (not just a page) If so, I could put a copy on my SAC computer. (It doesn't know about the internet) Grin

Thanks

There are web spider apps that will suck down an entire site for offline viewing. Not sure how well they'd work with the wiki site, but you should be able to. I played with printing it off to pdf and then merging the pdf's into one document. It's workable but not near as nice as having a document written for offline viewing.

rdubost
04-05-2011, 12:18 PM
Shame I'm not into SAC enough to add my bit for now. But once I get into it, I will, definitely.

Good luck with what looks like a very nice and promising initiative.

Roger.