PDA

View Full Version : Audio Integrity

Eric
01-07-2005, 09:24 AM
Bob,
I really respect your philosophy of "Audio First" and protecting the integrity of the software code by not trying to be a "Be all" product.
I am not a programmer at all, but was curious, when developing software like SAW, does adding more lines of code compromise the integrity of the audio engine. In others words, does adding a bunch of features eventually affect how the program sounds because it affects how the program is running?
Thanks and keep upthe good work?

AudioAstronomer
01-07-2005, 10:46 AM
Bob,
I really respect your philosophy of "Audio First" and protecting the integrity of the software code by not trying to be a "Be all" product.
I am not a programmer at all, but was curious, when developing software like SAW, does adding more lines of code compromise the integrity of the audio engine. In others words, does adding a bunch of features eventually affect how the program sounds because it affects how the program is running?
Thanks and keep upthe good work?
Im not bob (but that is my nickname that I go by outside of the saw community hehe) but anytime you touch the audio it's degraded.

And of course, anytime you have to go through 50 options to see if they need to be used you're compromising speed... turn those options on and you're compromising the audio too!

Bob L
01-07-2005, 12:06 PM
Most static editing features would not necessarily affect the audio playback quality... although they could affect the engine performance.

Messing with the actual audio stream in the playback loop can always affect the audio quality unless handled correctly with much attention paid to making sure it doesn't.

Bob L