PDA

View Full Version : What native plugs are you after most!?

AudioAstronomer
01-07-2005, 10:48 AM
Well, what is it?

We have some great programming talent among us... so let's all gives some input!

I have a compressor Im still not too happy with, but working on a hardware prototype Im getting close to liking the sound of, so hopefully soon as Im happy with it... and a FSU plugin in the works.

who knows what pietr has up his sleeve...

Maybe Bob will chime in?

Anwida??? Pieter is a great show of success with a little more effort and community involvement!

Who else?

(rewire isnt on the list yet... that's slightly out of the question for at bit)

TotalSonic
01-07-2005, 11:21 AM
I voted for a Multiband comp because it's the one area where I see the biggest hole (i.e. no current native options) and one in which I think would benefit from automation the most. A zero latency & automateable native convolution verb would be mighty cool though.

It'd be really nice to have a native dither plugin also - one that featured both just straight TPDF and also had some advanced noise shaping ala Megabitmax or the POW-R algorithms would be a cool thing for mastering. Pieter from Sonoris seemed to have some interest in this when I emailed him about it in that he already has the TPDF thing going in his own plugs.

I really think if vsp and dxp (SAW's DX and VST preset format) loading could be made an automateable item then SAWyers would have a lot more options as far as plugin automation. This along with DDP image creation and ReWire support (hey! - there's a plugin we really need!) are really the only real major wish list items I have left after Bob took care of nearly all of them this past year.

Best regards,
Steve Berson

Naturally Digital
01-07-2005, 11:30 AM
I voted for EQ but I'd like to say that specifically, I'm voting for a Linear Phase EQ.

Ideally, I'd like to see noise reduction on the list.

Dave.

AudioAstronomer
01-07-2005, 11:32 AM
I voted for EQ but I'd like to say that specifically, I'm voting for a Linear Phase EQ.

Dave.
Id love to have added more but there is a limit of 10 options.. I tried to squish as much as I could in.

TotalSonic
01-07-2005, 11:36 AM

Dave.

It's not native - but if you've got $1800 :eek: to spend for a plugin - there's always this - http://www.algorithmix.com/en/peq1.htm

WAY too pricy - but Bob Katz swears it sounds almost as good as the $7g Weiss box though. I've yet to demo it but definitely want to try it out.

Best regards,
Steve Berson

Naturally Digital
01-07-2005, 11:36 AM
Id love to have added more but there is a limit of 10 options.. I tried to squish as much as I could in.Gotcha. Yeah, I forgot about that.

PieterS
01-07-2005, 11:40 AM
Good to see that people appreciate native SAWStudio plugs. I certainly like to know what is wanted most as do other developpers I think. Maybe it's good to know that my current project is a three band multiband compressor, based on the Sonoris Compressor.

regards,

Pieter Stenekes

SoundSuite
01-07-2005, 02:07 PM
Good to see that people appreciate native SAWStudio plugs. I certainly like to know what is wanted most as do other developpers I think. Maybe it's good to know that my current project is a three band multiband compressor, based on the Sonoris Compressor.

regards,

Pieter Stenekes
*giggles like a happy little school boy*

mghtx
01-07-2005, 02:09 PM
I had to vote for pitch/time because I've got everything else. Not that I wouldn't like to see more but.....Bob's pretty much got me covered with what comes with SAW. And now I've got that free Leveler! :p Thanks again.

Yura
01-07-2005, 04:57 PM
I dream about NATIVE De-noiser &/1 de-clicker.

The only terrible question is: is that possible to code such a denoiser that has no those "additional buffering" requirement??
to a big pity I dont know any denoiser of dozens well known that causes no latency while switch off on the track :mad: :( :eek:

Perry
01-07-2005, 05:35 PM
Well... Pieter is already working on a multi-band native compressor and I'm really looking forward to that (by the way Pieter, as soon as I catch up from the holiday spending I'll be ordering the native compressor and probably the meter too... already got the MS Codec).

Steve mentioned a zero latency & automated native convolution verb. A native SAWStudio version of that *would* be nice! I'd certainly go for that! If someone does want to have a go at this may I suggest that it support .aif files as well as .wav files, especially since SAWStudio supports these now. A small latency (256-512 samples) would be quite acceptable to me if this improved the efficiency, with maybe a 0 latency option.

Always looking for different EQ flavors so anything along those lines would be nice for me. I believe Dave mention a phase linear EQ? Yeah.. definitely that. And any other different types of native EQ that we don't already have that we could add to the arsenal.... something "vintage analog" sounding perhaps... similar to the sound of the Sonalksis EQ maybe? Except not similar to their price hopefully! :rolleyes:

Yura and a few others mentioned noise reductin I think? YES... I often have to leave SAWStudio to do this and it would be great not to have to. If it works really well I don't mind doing this off line... as long as it's quick... but of course a "real time" option (even if it's less effective) would be good too.

I guess my top things to ask for are the multi-band compressor, convolution reverb, more EQ, noise reduction, and native time compression/expansion.

This is very exciting stuff... I'm *really* happy to see this kind of tight devolpement in the SAWStudio community. Keep it up guys!!! :cool: :D

Perry

Carl G.
01-08-2005, 01:02 AM
......Ideally, I'd like to see noise reduction on the list.
Dave.
Me too, Dave - I'd like to see Noise Reduction on the list.
Carl

SoundSuite
01-08-2005, 01:38 AM
dang, I just noticed the "Stereo messer upper/spatial enchancer" option...

Pieter already has this in the MS plug :)
http://www.sonoris.nl/nl/nmsc.asp

Dingo
01-08-2005, 08:17 AM
My first request would be a convolution reverb. Then I would love to get a bunch of people together to make some really high quality impulses. I would also like to see a linear phase eq that wouldn't hog the cpu and was totally transparent. Is this possible?

AudioAstronomer
01-08-2005, 10:51 AM
Any of the dither nuts out there, please contact me. Last night I complete a tdpf dither plugin (similiar to one that I used for some of my gfx filters a while back) with a few little neat tricks tossed in there. Wanna get some testers if anyone out there is a dither fanatic.

Naturally Digital
01-08-2005, 02:15 PM
Always looking for different EQ flavors so anything along those lines would be nice for me. I believe Dave mention a phase linear EQ? Yeah.. definitely that. And any other different types of native EQ that we don't already have that we could add to the arsenal.... something "vintage analog" sounding perhaps... similar to the sound of the Sonalksis EQ maybe? Except not similar to their price hopefully! :rolleyes:It would be nice to have a really high-end EQ... something that performed 'double-sampling' or quadruple or something. I really like the EQ flavors we have, including JMS's high-res EQ and I'm a pretty big fan of the Sonalksis and Kjaerhus... I use those a fair bit.

Something I find 'elusive' is finding EQ's that sound silky smooth when boosting the extreme high range, like shelving 20kHz, 15K or even 10K (on some plugins). Robert turned me on to Nyquist EQ and I certainly hear something nice going on there... I don't know how it's done. Double-sampling and similar techniques are supposed to help in this regard but I haven't been able to do the experiments to verify that... That's on *my* to-do list. So, in addition to a linear phase EQ, I'd love to have a mastering EQ with a nice big interface, large graph and 'technology' to help it sound good on those elusive 'air' frequencies.

Dave.

Perry
01-08-2005, 04:42 PM
It would be nice to have a really high-end EQ... something that performed 'double-sampling' or quadruple or something. I really like the EQ flavors we have, including JMS's high-res EQ and I'm a pretty big fan of the Sonalksis and Kjaerhus... I use those a fair bit.

Something I find 'elusive' is finding EQ's that sound silky smooth when boosting the extreme high range, like shelving 20kHz, 15K or even 10K (on some plugins). Robert turned me on to Nyquist EQ and I certainly hear something nice going on there... I don't know how it's done. Double-sampling and similar techniques are supposed to help in this regard but I haven't been able to do the experiments to verify that... That's on *my* to-do list. So, in addition to a linear phase EQ, I'd love to have a mastering EQ with a nice big interface, large graph and 'technology' to help it sound good on those elusive 'air' frequencies.

Dave.

"Something I find 'elusive' is finding EQ's that sound silky smooth when boosting the extreme high range, like shelving 20kHz, 15K or even 10K (on some plugins)."

Is that similar in sound to what the Sonalksis EQ does... is that what you mean here Dave? I like that "air" stuff too! I'd love to see something native for SAWStudio that has that sort of sound. :)

In the analog world I have the Nightpro EQ3-D that has an acutal knob that's called "air"... and it does that. Finding that sound in the digital world isn't the easiest thing. The George Massenberg EQ's do that too and the digital versions are pretty good at it but not available as a "native" plug-in at all as far as I know... only for dsp driven solutions.

And yeah.... I like your ideas for the mastering EQ! :)

Thanks,

perry

Bob L
01-08-2005, 05:06 PM
The built-in eq has been compared many times to the Massenberg mastering eq and come out on top in many of those comparisons by the 'golden ears' boys.

When you look at noise specs, we acutually beat them all.

Now, do yourselves a favor and experiment with the top end boost and find out that the silky smooth qualkity you are looking for is already at your fingertips... better than native... its built into the console itself. :)

Let go of the belief system about digital eqs sounding harsh... open up and believe that the SAWStudio eq is very analog sounding... then listen with un-biased ears and you may hear that for yourself.

Bob L

Dingo
01-08-2005, 06:24 PM
But Bob, if we do that, how can we keep arguing about stuff like this? ;)

AudioAstronomer
01-08-2005, 10:36 PM
Just another bump... need a few more testers for dither plugin to be released sometime later next week... Long time in the works, just recently converted to SS native format.

Please send me an email or message with your email. thanks :)

Perry
01-08-2005, 11:09 PM
The built-in eq has been compared many times to the Massenberg mastering eq and come out on top in many of those comparisons by the 'golden ears' boys.

When you look at noise specs, we acutually beat them all.

Now, do yourselves a favor and experiment with the top end boost and find out that the silky smooth qualkity you are looking for is already at your fingertips... better than native... its built into the console itself. :)

Let go of the belief system about digital eqs sounding harsh... open up and believe that the SAWStudio eq is very analog sounding... then listen with un-biased ears and you may hear that for yourself.

Bob L

OK... Hey... I do believe.... really! :) And I promise that I have nothing against SAWStudio's EQ. I use it a lot... absolutely! I *would* like it if there were shelving options though and for some situations a more in-depth interface... but that's maybe nit-picky (or maybe not). But, in those situations is where I'll sometimes use something else... like the UA Cambridge... for the steep filter options and the graphical interface. That's not however in any way meant to mean that I don't like SAWStudio's EQ though... just that sometimes I have different needs to get the job done.... and different "wants" as well.

That's why I'm excited about the prospect of more native plug-ins. Believe me I'd be happy to stay native right in SAWStudio as much as possible.

And I do know of course that there are enough tools there available to get the work done as is... of course there is. But, I still have my own games to play and my own way of working that I want to satisfy. We all have our "games" and preferences I'm sure. And I would always suggest that everyone do things "their way".

And actually I never had a belief system myself that digital eqs sound harsh... I liked the idea of digital eq from the very beginning. Maybe my comment about the analog piece that I have was misunderstood? I only referred to it as an example and I don't use it for mixing... only tracking... though it was designed as a mixing/mastering tool. It's big feature is a very high "air" EQ.. and it does that quite nicely actually.

But now Bob... ;) I thought this was... well wait a minute here.. who started this thread anyway? I thought we were being asked what we would like for new native SAWStudio plug-ins and that's what I was responding to? I'll still say that I like having a lot of options when it comes to EQ and I use a lot of different ones at different times for different situations and to get different "colors". If someone wants to make us a different one I'll likely purchase it.... the more the merrier. They all sound different!

And actually "silky smoothness" is maybe the wrong description for what I'm talking about.. What I sometimes (often actually) am looking for is something to "mess up" :rolleyes: the sound a bit.. to alter it and "color" it.. the way some EQs can do. It's not just an idea of keeping it clean and smooth always... at least not for me... and that's what I mean by "analog" sound sometimes.

Otherwise... I'm quite happy with SAWStudio as it is and I wasn't really asking for anything else until someone started this survey. :)

And ummm.... as far as "digital harshness" goes I let go of that idea a long time ago.... a really long time ago! Actually I don't think I ever had that idea. I liked digital eq from the beginning.

Anyway... as always let me say that I really *REALLY* like SAWStudio! I'm not complaining! It's just great like it is and I hope none of my comments are taken to mean that I think otherwise. I really wouldn't want that at all! :)

And on that note.. I'm back to SAWing.. got a client coming tomorrow expecting to hear some finished mixes. We got a lot of snow here over the last couple of days and I keep thinking it's a holiday... but it isn't! ;)

Back to work here!

OH... that reminds me.. I'm using the SAWStudio Graphic Equalizer on several lead vocal tracks for these mixes I'm doing right now and loving the results! So really.. I do use the SAWStudio EQ! :)

Perry

Bob L
01-08-2005, 11:30 PM
Just razzing you guys... of course its nice to have a million choices.

Eq plugins are everywhere... and of course everyone makes yet another one... compressors ... same thing... no one seems willing to tackle the ones that don't have many choices, like the time compression and noise reduction and stuff like that.

I just find it interesting. :)

Bob L

Perry
01-08-2005, 11:47 PM
Just razzing you guys... of course its nice to have a million choices.

Eq plugins are everywhere... and of course everyone makes yet another one... compressors ... same thing... no one seems willing to tackle the ones that don't have many choices, like the time compression and noise reduction and stuff like that.

Bob L

Thanks Bob.... :cool: OK... fair game though... :p ;)

And hey... I'd settle for a lot less than a million choices! :)

Why do you suppose it is about the time compression and noise reduction? I assume this is "harder" to do... less documnetatin of how to do it? In the case of noise reduction there certainly are some *VERY* expensive ones around. I'd imagine that code is carefully guarded and very much a secret!

It is kinda interesting isn't it?

AudioAstronomer
01-09-2005, 12:02 AM
Eq plugins are everywhere... and of course everyone makes yet another one... compressors ... same thing... no one seems willing to tackle the ones that don't have many choices, like the time compression and noise reduction and stuff like that.L
Because you know as good as the rest of us geeks that stuff isnt that easy to do right, and extremely hard to do well enough to wanna associate one's self with such work :)

We'll all see... Im getting sick of this compressor honestly (almost there in the hardware world... thanks canipus for the info... but dsp aint crackin it yet), have something else up my sleeve that was on the back burner from before :)

Sebastian Eskildsen
01-09-2005, 01:56 AM
My list would be:

Rewire
Phase meter
Direct cd burn
Direct sacd/dvd-A burn
Pitch/timestrets with automation

Sebastian

Oz Nimbus
01-09-2005, 09:46 AM
As far as EQ goes, I haven't touched a plugin EQ since I mastered Bob's channel EQ.....Not having shelves took some getting used to, but once I got the hang of it, I haven't looked back. It's fantastic.

Here's my wish list:

#1) Convolving Reverb. I'd love to see one in SAW native format, compatible with many impulses floating around on the net.

#2) A bad-ass chorus/flange/phazer. One of my favourite plugs, the DSPFX chorus, won't work with SawStudio for some strange reason, and I really, really, miss this thing. I've messed around with other plugs, but none seem to have the charm. If you're going to do chorus/flange, you can't be subtle about it.

-0z-

Angie
01-09-2005, 10:14 AM

Bob L

I've never understood this myself.

I haven't voted because I can't decide which I'd want over another. But I do know I don't need another compressor or another EQ.

Angie
01-09-2005, 10:16 AM
#2) A bad-ass chorus/flange/phazer. One of my favourite plugs, the DSPFX chorus, won't work with SawStudio for some strange reason, and I really, really, miss this thing. I've messed around with other plugs, but none seem to have the charm. If you're going to do chorus/flange, you can't be subtle about it.

-0z-

I've been looking for a replacement for the DSPFX chorus for a long time also. Have come close, but it still isn't the same.

TotalSonic
01-09-2005, 10:52 AM

-0z-

Oz -
Have you tried Anwida Native Modulation Pack for this yet? Works great for chorus and flange for me -
http://www.anwida.com/ntmpss.asp

I also still like the Bojo Flanger for a lot of stuff - http://www.bojo.dk/productfree.html

Best regards,
Steve Berson

Oz Nimbus
01-09-2005, 11:19 AM
Oz -
Have you tried Anwida Native Modulation Pack for this yet? Works great for chorus and flange for me -
http://www.anwida.com/ntmpss.asp
Best regards,
Steve Berson

Yes, I have. And no, it wasn't what I was looking for.... No offense to the programmers at anwida, but it couldn't hold a candle to the chorus from DSP/FX.

Lance
01-09-2005, 11:33 AM

-0z-
Hey Oz;

I haven't had any problems using the DX version of the DSPFX Chorus or any of their suite at all. I just don't install the SAW version which, yes, doesn't work with SawStudio.

Lance

Oz Nimbus
01-09-2005, 11:41 AM
Hey Oz;

I haven't had any problems using the DX version of the DSPFX Chorus or any of their suite at all. I just don't install the SAW version which, yes, doesn't work with SawStudio.

Lance

Actually, I have the version that came with Sonar.

Lance
01-09-2005, 11:46 AM
Actually, I have the version that came with Sonar.
Oz;

www.dspfx.com (http://www.dspfx.com). They're having a 1/2 price sale right now. I can guarantee that it works because I just installed it again two weeks ago.

Lance

Yura
01-09-2005, 01:05 PM
Oz;

www.dspfx.com (http://www.dspfx.com). They're having a 1/2 price sale right now. I can guarantee that it works because I just installed it again two weeks ago.

Lance

I can confirm this, sure. I used it without problems.
But what about chorus... I have many of my personal building of choruses modules. I have ones that are much more fatter. I build them by myself in unlimited possibility. Need 8-voice chorus? need 24-voice? need 64-voice, with combinated serial and parallel unites? no problem. all you can do in QuantumFX. Wanna share with presets and algorithms? no problem. Your chorus will twirl over imagination... one module of chorus - just very ptimitive algorithm - delay with floating delay time. this is not a deficit...

Angie
01-09-2005, 01:13 PM
Oz;

Lance

The directX version works with Studio. But they never updated the SAW Pro native version for use with Studio.

It was the copy protection that bit me in the middle of a project with a paying client. That only happens once with me. Keeping it around just for the Chorus wasn't worth going through the hassle of getting a new key when I moved to a new computer. I had gotten a slap on the hand for not paying for the latest upgrade the last time I needed a new keycode. That's when they lost me for good.

Leadfoot
01-09-2005, 02:09 PM
It was the copy protection that bit me in the middle of a project with a paying client. That only happens once with me. Keeping it around just for the Chorus wasn't worth going through the hassle of getting a new key when I moved to a new computer. I had gotten a slap on the hand for not paying for the latest upgrade the last time I needed a new keycode. That's when they lost me for good.
[/QUOTE]

Same thing with me. Couldn't agree more. I didn't even know they were still around..

Tony

Oz Nimbus
01-09-2005, 02:20 PM
I for one will never buy software with some B.S. copy protection scheme.

Now can you guys stop giving me a hard time and get out there and program the PHAT chorus & flange for SS native ? :p :p :p

mghtx
01-09-2005, 02:35 PM
I for one will never buy software with some B.S. copy protection scheme.

Yep. At least not if I can help it.

Lance
01-09-2005, 02:54 PM
Ordinarily I agree. Particularly with dongles. But I haven't found it really any more problematic than installing Microsoft Office. I need that on a day to day basis, and DSPFX stuff has proven pretty much just as valuable to me too. It has a flexibility that I don't get in too many other plugins.

I guess to each his own.
Lance

Perry
01-09-2005, 03:49 PM
The directX version works with Studio. But they never updated the SAW Pro native version for use with Studio.

I will NEVER EVER under any circumstances give those guys another penny of my money ever again. I don't think I've ever been more insulted except maybe for that time I was in the airport in Hamburg and a waiter turned up his nose and refused to serve me simply because I was an American (and that was around 15 years ago!).

If I'm going to give these guys my money... I at lest expect to be treated with some small portion of respect. Otherwise I'll give my money to someone else instead.

End of story as far as I'm concerned.

(Other's mileage may vary)

Perry