PDA

View Full Version : Some Feature Requests for SAWStudio Basic

Shawn
03-25-2010, 02:26 AM
I thought that this subject might fare better if it had it's own thread..

Quoted from another thread..

Any chance for more channels in SSBasic?

How about 32? :D

Michael

YES!! 32 tracks for SAWStudio Basic would be great!

I would also love to have the ability to store/recall a single mixer channel's settings, (no need to have seperate store/recall sections such as EQ/Dynamics/etc. like Full and Lite have), just the whole channel, one at a time.

I'm kind of a neat freak with my session layouts, (I hate having the track numbers out of order), after tracking, I sort out the takes and then move the regions for the keepers into the track order that I want, then I have to copy the channel settings manually for each moved region, after a while that gets pretty tedious, one single full channel memory cell would be a BIG help!!

Thanks for your consideration Bob, and thank you for SAWStudio, it has made my little recording world a much better place!!!

:)

Mark Stebbeds
03-25-2010, 07:32 AM
YES!! 32 tracks for SAWStudio Basic would be great!

48 would be better, and a competitive value with others.

Mark

TotalSonic
03-25-2010, 08:00 AM
48 would be better, and a competitive value with others.

Mark

Which is the amount of tracks that Bob announced SAWStudio Lite would be upgraded to with the 5.0 release in another thread here.

SAW full 72 stereo tracks -> 96
SAW Lite 36 -> 48
SAW Basic 24 -> ?

Best regards,
Steve Berson

Mark Stebbeds
03-25-2010, 08:51 AM
Which is the amount of tracks that Bob announced SAWStudio Lite would be upgraded to with the 5.0 release in another thread here.

SAW full 72 stereo tracks -> 96
SAW Lite 36 -> 48
SAW Basic 24 -> ?

The improvement in track count is good. But the "basic" version of another popular app starts at 48 stereo for about $250 (including basic audio interface) ..and upgradeable from there. I think SS Lite is priced at $1200?

I'm just sayin' ...

Mark

AcousticGlue
03-25-2010, 01:25 PM
Pricing would be better at $250-600-1200 for all 3 versions. I'm just sayin".

Trackzilla
03-25-2010, 05:50 PM
you can buy a ratcheting screwdriver for $5 and it'll basically work

you can buy one from Sears or Lowes for around $15-20 & get a nice unit with a lifetime warranty

you can buy the Snap-On racing edition one for around $150

All 3 will drive a screw, but they are aimed at different markets, and plenty of people are glad to pay for & proud to own whichever of those they chose.

I'm just sayin...

Mark Stebbeds
03-25-2010, 10:19 PM
Saw Studio Lite is $1200. And, that 'other' $250 program needs a $1295 DV Toolkit to bring it even with the Video component of the $1200 Saw Studio Lite.
So, $1200 vs. $1545.

FWIW, I was trying to make a point about bang for the buck with track count, as that seemed to be the point of the thread.

But your statement is not accurate at all. I'm really not up to speed on what comes on board with entry level LE video-wise, but the DV toolkit you mentioned, which costs under $1K on the street, takes the track count up to 64 stereo, and also includes OMF and other post production audio + video conversion tools, feet + frame time line as used in film, and some serious plug-ins used throughout the post industry, putting it well beyond the feature set of SS Lite.

There are also other lower cost "tool kits" that increase track count and feature sets and plug-in sets, depending on what you wish to do. You can take the track count out to 128 stereo.

Ten years ago, PT LE was only available with a large hardware purchase, making it much more expensive than it's competition, SAW included. That's just not the case anymore.

Mark

Shawn
03-26-2010, 02:53 AM
I started this thread for people who own a license for SSBasic to hopefully get Bob's consideration for a little bit of an upgrade to capabilities of SSBasic.

I have current/up to date licenses for the following RML Labs products..

* SAWStudio Full
* SAWStudio Basic
* MidiWorkShop
* Levelizer
* Reverberator
* Frequency Analyzer

I hadn't expected this thread becoming a damn pissing match over a bunch of pointless PT related crap.

FWIW, SSLite also records and outputs up to 24 mono tracks thru hardware at once right? so if you use a console to mix on and use your computer as a tape recorder, PTLE would be lacking, you'd need PTHD-1 to get more than 18 I/O in PT, now that's a magnitude of several thousand dollars more for sure, and you sure as hell couldn't run it off of a flashdrive on almost any windows computer after less than 5 minutes setup time.. blah blah blah..

I use SAWStudio because it is the tool that I CHOOSE to use, 300 dollars for a super stable, VERY low latency 24 track workhorse of a DAW is to me a great bargain, I recommend it to people all the time. Even though I have SSFull I use SSBasic a LOT, 100% of my projects start there, and probably 80% will be completed there! I actually don't mind the 24 track limitation so much, but having 32 would be fantastic, besides the most obvious reason, (more tracks for playback), there would also be a little more room for comping/editing, and the current 6 auxes are in my opinion, just fine for SSBasic.

Ok, I'm done with my little rant for now!

Mark Stebbeds
03-26-2010, 04:38 AM
I started this thread for people who own a license for SSBasic to hopefully get Bob's consideration for a little bit of an upgrade to capabilities of SSBasic.
<snip>
I hadn't expected this thread becoming a damn pissing match over a bunch of pointless PT related crap.

FWIW, SSLite also records and outputs up to 24 mono tracks thru hardware at once right? so if you use a console to mix on and use your computer as a tape recorder, PTLE would be lacking, you'd need PTHD-1 to get more than 18 I/O in PT, now that's a magnitude of several thousand dollars more for sure, and you sure as hell couldn't run it off of a flashdrive on almost any windows computer after less than 5 minutes setup time.. blah blah blah..

So you thought you'd join the pissing match?

My opinion is that the lower end of the product line seems overpriced compared to the competition. Any conversation about price is going to end up comparing features you get for your money, and we could go on for days about that.

Your opinion about value may be different. I wasn't always this way, but the competition has substantially lowered their price point for the entry level products.

Mark

Bob L
03-26-2010, 07:05 AM
It might be a good idea to start comparing sound quality, performance, ease of install, no copy protection, extremely high-end built-in eq, comps and gates... etc.

Track counts are meaningless next to those items, in my opinion. :)

And why would I want to be the cheapest anyway... look at the crap Behringer takes for being so cheap... :D

Bob L

IraSeigel
03-26-2010, 09:16 AM

...I hadn't expected this thread becoming a damn pissing match over a bunch of pointless PT related crap.

Ok, I'm done with my little rant for now!

Shawn, you've been part of this forum a lot longer than I have. Surely by now you know that a thread can go way off the subject of the starter's original question or comment. So just relax and enjoy how your ideas can get other people thinking. Once you post it, it's not really "your" thread anymore.

Ira

soundwarrior
03-26-2010, 10:10 AM
This would not be a feature requests, but I wish zoom and wide mixer view were for sale seperatley and that you can just add it on to lite or basic for a price. I would consider buying it.

Tim Miskimon
03-26-2010, 03:00 PM
I don't really think Bob or most of us Saw users care about Pro Tools.
Come to think of it there's only one person on this forum who keeps bringing up Pro Tools & all it's praises.
Most of us here could be using Pro tools if we wanted to but we chose SAW instead.
In my case I've used both over the years and personally think Pro Tools is a turd.
Sorry if I hurt anyone's feelings...:p

mOjO Fet
03-26-2010, 03:06 PM
Ok. Since this is a feature request thread, I have another one.

Saw Studio does not have a freeze track function. (Except maybe when recording whales on the south pole.)
But it has an intelligent export function to export tracks individually with and without FX processing to a track or as a file. Or as mixdown.

Now, what I would find convenient if there was a key shortcut or button for that matter to export a track with FX to the very same track - without going through the menu and the file dialogue.

And if you had to assign a folder for those tracks you could do it in the preferences (in order not to overwrite you clean tracks!)...and you could also assign an additional suffix like "_FX" or something to tell them appart.

And another plus is, you could do a bounce/freeze over an existing freeze and so on and on. Unlike in other sequencers where you have to unfreeze a track in order to be able to process it again. Which can be tedious.
It's not that I like to process my tracks to death but there are some very CPU hungry plug-ins and VSTi's that just sound good!

Unless, of course there already is something like it in Saw Studio...? But I haven't found it yet.

Michael