PDA

View Full Version : New RME Product at Musikmesse

IraSeigel
03-25-2010, 08:01 AM
Well, RME seems to be embracing USB pretty heavily. A new product from them: http://www.rme-audio.de/en_index.php

I wonder why they're not working with the new USB3 protocol that's already been "approved".....

Ira

Brent Evans
03-25-2010, 08:34 AM
heh... RME Babyface...

You knew it had to come sooner or later...

gdougherty
03-25-2010, 08:58 AM
USB3 is likely about a year from being a common interface.

mycorn
03-25-2010, 02:32 PM
i'v done 16in 7out on my UC so i'm sure it
would be fine at 10 x?

what will truly lick goat heels
is if they are cheap and you can stack 2 of them...

fwiw

RBIngraham
03-25-2010, 03:59 PM
heh... RME Babyface...

You knew it had to come sooner or later...

I'm holding out for the "Two Faced Mother" product line

Brent Evans
03-25-2010, 04:21 PM
I'm holding out for the "Two Faced Mother" product line

No, the next one is the "ScarFace" for punk metal bands.
Then, they'll do the "BareFace" for acoustic acts.
Then, when they've exausted everything else, they'll make the "ButtFace" for radio production work. :D

Bud Johnson
04-21-2010, 09:21 AM
Well, RME seems to be embracing USB pretty heavily. A new product from them: http://www.rme-audio.de/en_index.php
Ira

This looks really handy for any light track count (acoustic duo-interview-location recording.) I noticed nowhere do they mention driver type. I presume asio. Does Mac work with WDM drivers?
List estimated 599. euros.

RBIngraham
04-21-2010, 09:30 AM
This looks really handy for any light track count (acoustic duo-interview-location recording.) I noticed nowhere do they mention driver type. I presume asio. Does Mac work with WDM drivers?
List estimated 599. euros.

Considering that WDM is short for Windows Driver Model.... I don't think Apple would want to use that. :)

No Apple uses Core Audio, their own internal Audio Engine for the Mac OS. A few apps, mostly only Steinberg these days uses ASIO, but most have migrated to Core Audio. It actually works quite well, which can not always been said for Windows and it's WDM set up. Actually WDM driver is a kind of misnomer. There are several driver standards that are all packed into a WDM driver, standard MME, Direct Sound, WDM-KS (short for Kernal Streaming), etc.... How well all these protocols are supported is up to the sound card manufacturer. For example RME makes very nice MME support and they are the only ones I know that have MME drivers that could do low latencies. But on the other hand they never really did Multi-Channel Direct Sound support or it's been hit or miss at best. So an Audio Application I use didn't work with RME all that well until we finally rewrote it and now it uses ASIO drivers.

Craig Allen
04-21-2010, 10:12 AM
FYI, RME doesn't support low latency MME anymore. The last driver to do so was 2.94 for the HDSP series.

RBIngraham
04-21-2010, 10:17 AM
FYI, RME doesn't support low latency MME anymore. The last driver to do so was 2.94 for the HDSP series.

That's probably why the Direct Sound Support also seems to have vanished as well. At least in some of their products.