PDA

View Full Version : Great Minds- Just rambling

Eric
01-08-2005, 08:20 AM
Hello!
When I first started using SAW; the thing that hooked me first was the sound, by far the best. Changing the workflow was the difficult part. Then I was reminded of years ago (when I did live sound) of a board that I loved....the Gamble EX56. I thought to myself, Bob is a lot like Jim Gamble in that he thinks outside the box and accomplishes unparalelled sound and SAW is a lot like the EX56, in that it was the best sounding, but you had tp change your thinking a little to use it. Things like the pots on the EX56, 0 was at 6 o'clock and the channel strips were laid out a little different. That turned a lot of guys off, but the rewards for those who thought outside the box were fantastic. Jump ahead to last night. I'm on the RML site and see that Bob and Jim Gamble know each other, and have worked on another project together! Great minds do think alike!
So those who get hung up on the GUI or how it's laid out are really missing out because of their unwillingness to rethink how they do things. Nobody ever climbed a mountain by circling in a rut!

mghtx
01-08-2005, 09:03 AM
Yep, the sound really knocked me out. The highs, the lows, the "air", etc.

The GUI thing.....people are funny aren't they. Myself included. :p At first I didn't like the standard shade and I was using another one made by the GREAT YURA.

Over the past couple of weeks I've just been using the VintageBasic shade because.....well just because. And now it's really grown on me. I don't bother with other shades now, I just get to work. :) Shades are great to have though.

But the overall "look" of SAW didn't deter me at all. In fact it makes sense to me. Simple and powerful.

Carl G.
01-08-2005, 09:05 AM
Hello!
Nobody ever climbed a mountain by circeling in a rut!
What a keeper statement!

Bob L
01-08-2005, 11:06 AM
I was blessed to meet Jim Gamble at my first AES show in 92 where I first showed the initial SAC software, and the yet unfinished 4 track SAW.

Jim and I worked hard at trying to turn SAC into a reality, but unfortunately got all bogged down in industry and lawyer stuff as the industry fought hard to not let it happen.

I moved on to SAW, but Jim stuck with it and finally made it happen working with one of my ex-employees, using a modified version of my original SAC concepts and code to control his hardware.

Over the years, SAW evolved into SAWStudio and now the live virtual console is a reality without the need for console hardware. My new SAC code is currently on the drawing board and will hopefully become a reality this year.

Bob L

Jay Q
01-08-2005, 02:21 PM
When I first started using SAW; the thing that hooked me first was the sound, by far the best. Changing the workflow was the difficult part.Same here, Eric. When I was researching recording apps, though I wasn't keen on the SS interface, choosing it was pretty much a no-brainer. I would rather spend time getting used to a GUI than getting used to mediocre sound. :)

Jay

Naturally Digital
01-08-2005, 02:22 PM
My new SAC code is currently on the drawing board and will hopefully become a reality this year.Yay!!

I guess I won't run out and buy a new console or digital router until I can try out SAC in my studio!! :D I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with Bob... I'm sure it'll be brilliant. I've got some fun ideas for putting it to use over here... Bring it on baby!

Craig Allen
01-08-2005, 03:43 PM
My new SAC code is currently on the drawing board and will hopefully become a reality this year.
This is the one I'm waiting for, big time. While Studio in Live mode is a great way to mix, it could be further enhanced if it wasn't tied down to the recording aspect of it. I'm patiently waiting for this one (and using Studio for in the meantime - tonight, again actually).

Eric
01-08-2005, 04:58 PM
I would rather spend time getting used to a GUI than getting used to mediocre sound.

Excactly, I don't see why more people don't get that.

Perry
01-08-2005, 11:25 PM
But the overall "look" of SAW didn't deter me at all. In fact it makes sense to me. Simple and powerful.

Funny thing for me is that SAWStudio is the only one that *does* make sense!
:eek: :)

Perry

Bruce Callaway
01-09-2005, 12:26 AM
I would rather spend time getting used to a GUI than getting used to mediocre sound. :)

Jay
I hadn't used any recording software before Sawstudio. I had used only hardware such as consoles and mixing desks so I found it intuitive to understand and use Saw. Sure I had to understand the keyboard commands but that wasn't a problem really as I was pretty adept at using a PC for work etc. I thought people who had the same history as me who find it just as easy. Have all the other DAW packages narrowed peoples thinking to that extent?
Cheers
Bruce

Jay Q
01-09-2005, 11:49 PM
Have all the other DAW packages narrowed peoples thinking to that extent?Not in my case cuz I wasn't used to any other recording app before SAW. What I was used to were the Windows conventions which SAW, of course, largely didn't follow. We've convinced Bob to add a few along the way (Ctrl+S!), but at first just navigating was tough. You're right about it being comfortably familiar WRT its modeling of a console, but I was just talking keyboard/menu stuff.

Jay

Bruce Callaway
01-10-2005, 12:44 AM
You're right about it being comfortably familiar WRT its modeling of a console, but I was just talking keyboard/menu stuff.

Jay
Jay, yes you are right, I guess it has been so long now I forgot about this angle. Still it was not a major issue for me.
Thanks
Bruce