PDA

View Full Version : Multiple Output Question

Carey Langille
04-09-2010, 10:17 AM
SO, I just bought a pair of JBL LSR4328P speakers, and i would like to use the Digital input to feed them signal from SAW. I have 3 ada8000 units being fed from a hdsp9652 and usually use output 17/18 as my main mix output.( It's the first 2 outputs on the 3rd unit). I would also like to feed, at the same time the SP/dif/aesebu output of my hdsp9652 with the same content.. to feed the speakers..How best could i, should i do this? Adjusting SAW's audio outputs? Using the RME total utility? Thanks for any help.... hope this makes sense.. Carey

*** Addition**** Saw should control all levels, just like it does on the analog side.... If i turn down the master i would like both speaker sets to be decreased....***

Naturally Digital
04-09-2010, 10:36 AM
Carey, it really depends where you want to control the volume from... do you want to control monitor volume from within all your EDLs in SAW or do you prefer to use the Totalmix faders to control monitor volume?

Personally I've found I prefer to keep my EDL's simple (output 1 as main out, without having to double-assign all the input channels and/or busses to a second output for monitors).

Over the years I've visited and revisited similar concepts to this and ended up controlling monitors (and headphones and...) from an application outside of SAW. I use Totalmix, Lynxmixer and the Soundscape mixer in this manner.

Having said all that, running SAC along with SAW changes the game and allows SAC to handle all the routing, feeds and monitor volume. I just haven't adjusted my workflow for that yet.

I've recently added an analog monitor controller and have less need for digital volume controls and feeds. After years of working completely in the virtual, I like having a physical knob and switches for main monitor control.

HTH.

Bob L
04-09-2010, 12:54 PM
Carey,

You could use total mixes matrix to just duplicate the outs on 17-18 to the digital outs...

You could also do this directly in SAWStudio... bus all of your inputs to one of the output faders used as a group master for master volume... then bus that to your out fader assigned to your 17-18 device and another assigned to your digital device.

Bob L

Ian Alexander
04-10-2010, 07:04 PM
Question for you Carey: Does running your mixes through a digital fader before it hits your speakers mean you're not really listening to what your final output file will be? IOW, there's some math happening between the mix and your ears. Maybe that doesn't matter.

Isn't there a volume knob on the digital speakers? I know you'd like to have a fader to control both sets of speakers so you don't get blasted by accident if you do a quick comparison, though.:( I don't have an analog answer for that.

Carey Langille
04-11-2010, 09:49 AM
Hey Ian, yes the speakers have a volume..Im all good, im just mirror imaging my final output to both analog and digital outputs using totalmix, Very simple and quick....