PDA

View Full Version : Echo and MOTU in same PC

N2RCDNG
06-06-2004, 06:01 PM
I have been successfully using Echo's Layla sound card with SAWPro and SAWStudio for several years. Recently, I purchased a MOTU 24IO in order to be able to record more than 8 tracks simultaneously. But there seems to be a problem with the MOTU -- it will record at 24 bit resolution, but will not play back my 24 bit sound files. It will play only at the 16 bits resolution setting. I am suspecting some kind of conflict between the Echo and the MOTU drivers and/or hardware. Anyone else have this combo, or know what might be the problem?

Bob L
06-06-2004, 06:36 PM
The MOTU is probably using the WDM driver model... you should try setting the 24 Bit WDM Compatibility Mode option on in SAWStudio under the OptionsMenu/Driver Model option.

Otherwise, consider using the ASIO model for both cards and see if that solves the problem.

Bob L

SoundSuite
06-06-2004, 09:47 PM
I have a 24i hooked into a 324 card.
As Bob stated, use the 24 Bit WDM Compatibility Mode option, or use ASIO

I do not have an Echo, but to get the MOTU gear (24i or 2408) to play back over 16-bit successfully in 2KPro or XP, you have to follow the above 'rules'.
(If you are using 2Kpro, If memory serves correct, you will be limited to 18 inputs whereas XP 'sees' them all)

Reez,
Jon Ketcham
Sound Suite

N2RCDNG
06-07-2004, 08:55 AM
Bob, I tried all 3 options under "driver model" -- still no go. I can only play back a 16 bit SF. MOTU claims that they downloaded the SAW Studio demo from your web site and it worked! Is there something about the demo version that is different from MY version (SAWStudiolite 2.5)?

George

ghowardjr
06-07-2004, 11:40 AM
I don't believe 2.5 had either option for 24-bit WDM or ASIO. You need to upgrade your version of SawStudioLite to the current version.

Gary

Bob L
06-07-2004, 04:03 PM
Sorry,

Yes there are hundreds of new options past version 2.5 that you are missing. :)

The 2.6 upgrade was $100 and for that small fee you almost receive a completely new program design... lots of major breakthroughs in 2.6 and up.

The WDM addition came in version 2.7... so you can make the move up for $100 and get yourself all the way to version 3.3 for free.

The only other paid upgrade since then was at version 3.4... again... major new features.

You may want to look at the Release notes online at www.SAWStudio.com (http://www.sawstudio.com/) or download the newest demo to get a feel for how much has changed... also... see if the current demo fixes your 24 bit problem.

Is it worth the $200 to go all way to where we are now? If you like SAWStudio and are attempting to use it on a consistent basis, then no question about it... the evolution has been astounding in almost every area of the design.

Bob L

SoundSuite
06-07-2004, 09:38 PM
If you cannot afford the upgrade now, AND you are running 2kpro:
http://www.tonewise.com/www/

This wrapper does not work under XP unfortunatley.
(webpage says email author for progress of XP)

I did not try a google for a similar product that works under XP, but there may be one out there.

The upgrades of SS are well worth it, for many facets, but in the interim maybe this will be a solution until Mr. Franklin comes a knocking in your wallet.

Reez,
Jon Ketcham
Sound Suite