PDA

View Full Version : Hard wiring SAC remote

Jeff Scott
04-20-2010, 07:12 AM
I have a Wireless N Router that I use for SAC Wireless remote. It works fine. However... If I wanted to hardwire it....what do I need to do to achieve that? Do I need to set the Router up differently? Do i just plug into the LAN port? I'm just looking down the road in the event that I cannot use the Wireless for some reason....

Phil
04-20-2010, 07:24 AM
yup, just plug in one of the other lan ports

mojogil
04-20-2010, 07:40 AM
Twice in 6 months I had my wireless connection dropped. Since then I always run a cat 5 cable. Make sure to put it on a reel so it doesn't kink. You can make it 300 feet long if you want and only roll out what you need.
Pretty cheap peace of mind.

Guitarkeys.com
04-20-2010, 08:21 AM
And I'm not 100% sure, but if your using MAC addressing for security, I believe you will need to set that up separately for the ethernet card as it is a separate address from the wireless card.

Someone who knows might need to jump in here.

Jamie

gdougherty
04-20-2010, 08:36 AM
And I'm not 100% sure, but if your using MAC addressing for security, I believe you will need to set that up separately for the ethernet card as it is a separate address from the wireless card.

Someone who knows might need to jump in here.

Jamie

MAC filtering is typically only for the wireless network to allow authorized devices. For physical ports the assumption is typically that you know who's plugged into the 4 ports. Business class managed switches will often have a similar capability to prevent unauthorized people from plugging into your physical network, but the 4 port switches built into home user grade routers are not managed switches.

Guitarkeys.com
04-20-2010, 09:04 AM
Well I guess if I would have stopped to think about it...

Spraying some lacquer in the shop today. Probably need to slow up on the typing...

Jamie

Jeff Scott
04-20-2010, 09:53 AM
Well I guess if I would have stopped to think about it...

Spraying some lacquer in the shop today. Probably need to slow up on the typing...

Jamie

I hear ya...just spent 3 hours in my Spray booth messing with Dye stains and sealers...

Brent Evans
04-20-2010, 11:20 AM
MAC filtering is typically only for the wireless network to allow authorized devices. For physical ports the assumption is typically that you know who's plugged into the 4 ports. Business class managed switches will often have a similar capability to prevent unauthorized people from plugging into your physical network, but the 4 port switches built into home user grade routers are not managed switches.

Depends on the router. My Belkin has seperate Allow/Disallow lists for wired and wireless. Took me a few minutes to figure that out the first time I set it up, too. :confused:

I. E. "I added My MAC address, there's the computer name, allow is checked... what's wrong with this thing??!?!
Oh."

Then everything was hunky-dory. :o