PDA

View Full Version : Media Player loopback

Alex
04-27-2010, 08:26 AM
There has been the age old question of playing tracks thru SAC, Ive read the posts tried the tricks used the digital got all the noise, you know the story.

In the end I found that choosing a set of outs from the Raydat was effortless and I have 72 of them.

I simply removed Raydat 31-32 output from SAC devices, went to tools on Media player selected devices chose Raydat 31-32 0ut, pluged in 2 short Xlr's on the Behringers from 31-32 out to 31-32 in and there you have it, no noise works excellent mobo audio can remain off and I use Tight Vnc 1.3 not the new beta to control Media player.

I have always found Media player jumping on to Raydat 1-2 even when it shows onboard audio is default. Setting it up this way ends that it stays on the Raydat output you apply it to.

Alex

dbarrow
04-27-2010, 09:31 AM
There has been the age old question of playing tracks thru SAC, Ive read the posts tried the tricks used the digital got all the noise, you know the story.

In the end I found that choosing a set of outs from the Raydat was effortless and I have 72 of them.

I simply removed Raydat 31-32 output from SAC devices, went to tools on Media player selected devices chose Raydat 31-32 0ut, pluged in 2 short Xlr's on the Behringers from 31-32 out to 31-32 in and there you have it, no noise works excellent mobo audio can remain off and I use Tight Vnc 1.3 not the new beta to control Media player.

I have always found Media player jumping on to Raydat 1-2 even when it shows onboard audio is default. Setting it up this way ends that it stays on the Raydat output you apply it to.

Alex
I plugged the SPDIF out of the RayDAT to the SPDIF in. I disabled SPDIF out in SAC and assigned WinAMP's out to that. WinAMP plays out the SPDIF out of the RayDAT and into the SPDIF in, which shows up as an input in SAC on whatever "channel" you choose to assign it to. I use BrowseAMP, a plugin for WinAMP, to remotely control WinAMP on the host. I have a huge library of MP3, FLACs, etc. on the SAC host's hard drive. I can play them from anywhere via remote control on my netbook. I even have an "audio test" directory that includes WAV files of various tones, sweeps, pink and white noise, dry drum loops, single snare hits, etc. I can use this to test and align the system, audition reverb settings, you name it. It works superbly well.

gdougherty
04-27-2010, 09:35 AM
And you can simplify further by building your own 9-pin loopback adaptor based on the pinout in the RayDAT manual (think its in there). I used a mutli-meter to find the pinouts on the digital breakout cable, a $2 db9 connector end from Radioshack and short bridges of solder to form the loopback. Some electrical tape or even plasticote type paint prevents shorting on the exposed end. A few dollars more buys a proper plastic or metal housing for the loopback as well. I went cheap since I likely won't need to remove the loopback connector.

Alex
04-27-2010, 10:13 AM
In this case the digitals are used and the mobo doesnt have any AES is going to eq spidif is going to cdr the normal stuff. I have tried other setups with different mobo. You do what works and pass it on.

Alex

sjpaul
04-27-2010, 10:23 AM
Alex,

I think the whole point of getting s/pdif or AES loopback working is so that you're not eating up 2 of your analog inputs. I originally had winamp running with an output from the MOBO soundcard via 3.5mm mini jack and splitting off to 2 6.3mm jacks into 2 channels on an ADA8000, but using a modified DB9 connector on my HDSP9652, the loopback is entirely digital using inputs and outputs that I wouldn't normally have the need for.

I'm sure others who are using RayDat cards have got things working in a similar fashion. Using BrowseAmp from the remote gives access to the entire music folder on the host machine and allows for playlists to be created on the fly, etc.

Jeff Scott
04-27-2010, 10:26 AM
I plugged the SPDIF out of the RayDAT to the SPDIF in. I disabled SPDIF out in SAC and assigned WinAMP's out to that. WinAMP plays out the SPDIF out of the RayDAT and into the SPDIF in, which shows up as an input in SAC on whatever "channel" you choose to assign it to. I use BrowseAMP, a plugin for WinAMP, to remotely control WinAMP on the host. I have a huge library of MP3, FLACs, etc. on the SAC host's hard drive. I can play them from anywhere via remote control on my netbook. I even have an "audio test" directory that includes WAV files of various tones, sweeps, pink and white noise, dry drum loops, single snare hits, etc. I can use this to test and align the system, audition reverb settings, you name it. It works superbly well.

What version of Winamp are you using? I ask because I did the same as you but SAC kept crashing...and Browseamp worked only half the time. Since switching to Windows Media player...I've lost the remote capability but now have a stable playback system.. I do like Winamp though...

Alex
04-27-2010, 10:31 AM
That is true most of us dont have enough inputs and wouldnt think of using them for that in my case I have 64 and use 48 to 52

Great feed back everyone I see this question all the time here.

Alex

William Bushnell
04-27-2010, 05:48 PM
I must be over looking something very basic in getting the s/pdif loop back to work. I have the playback in media player assigned to s/pdif output and I can see levels on the s/pdif outputs in total mix.

I have a coax cable looped from the s/pdif out to the s/pdif in on my digiface so I would expect see an indication on the s/pdif inputs in total mix. But I don't. I have tried several cables so I am sure I don't have a defective cable. I believe I have things set correctly in the total mix matrix.

What am I missing? Thanks

Leadfoot
04-27-2010, 06:09 PM
Am I understanding correctly that there are no vst mp3 media players available? Seems almost unbelievable in this day of vst everything. There's no way to get the output of any media player to show up at the inputs of Sac, without physical routings? There's got to be a way.

Naturally Digital
04-27-2010, 06:37 PM
I must be over looking something very basic in getting the s/pdif loop back to work. I have the playback in media player assigned to s/pdif output and I can see levels on the s/pdif outputs in total mix.

I have a coax cable looped from the s/pdif out to the s/pdif in on my digiface so I would expect see an indication on the s/pdif inputs in total mix. But I don't. I have tried several cables so I am sure I don't have a defective cable. I believe I have things set correctly in the total mix matrix.

What am I missing? Thanks

Leadfoot
04-27-2010, 06:39 PM
I just tried the demo of Virtual Audio Cable with Winamp And Sac, and it worked. What's all the fuss? I didn't spend much time on it, maybe I'm missing something.

905shmick
04-27-2010, 06:39 PM
There are mp3/wav players available as VST plugins.

Phil
04-27-2010, 10:04 PM
I just tried the demo of Virtual Audio Cable with Winamp And Sac, and it worked. What's all the fuss? I didn't spend much time on it, maybe I'm missing something.

How did you input the audio, when SAC is using ASIO you can't use inputs.

Wurst Werner
04-28-2010, 05:33 AM
There are mp3/wav players available as VST plugins.

Thanks for the advice!!!
I tried:

Xtal (http://www.irdbisa.com/gunshopsoft/xtal/index.htm)
http://www.vst4free.com/free_vst.php?id=213
Mp3Play (http://www.askywhale.com/vst/)
http://www.askywhale.com/vst/

and the both work in SAC. Be sure you activate the "pre-fx patch signal flow" to use EQ and see the channel meter.
Very handy.

Best wishes
Christian

Leadfoot
04-28-2010, 06:00 AM
How did you input the audio, when SAC is using ASIO you can't use inputs.

I guess that's what all the fuss is about.:o I had only tried it on my laptop with built in audio and didn't know about the asio thing. I just tried it on my audio computer and sure as sh*t, it won't work with asio, which apparently you guys already know.

You would think there would be a way for an audio program's device inputs to recognize virtual audio cable while using asio. Sorry for the false info.

Brent Evans
04-28-2010, 06:04 AM
You would think there would be a way for an audio program's device inputs to recognize virtual audio cable while using asio. Sorry for the false info.

Some can, some can't. Bob has stated before that it's rather complicated to do so, with dubious benefit.

He is working on a remotable media player though, which will be the schiznit for SAC.

Phil
04-28-2010, 09:40 AM
media player, fur shizell. i think sample rate and sync are important in the virtual realm too.

William Bushnell
04-28-2010, 11:38 AM
Check your RME settings and make sure your SPDIF IN is set to 'coaxial' and not 'internal' or 'ADAT 1'.

Thanks Dave, that was what I overlooked. Works great.

venez03
04-28-2010, 12:13 PM
Im using MOTU, this is how i run Media Player. I use REAL VNC to control Media Player from remote.

I have (2) 2408 MK1 units. The first unit has (3) ADA8000s. my second unit is for channel expansion. AND Media Player.

I assigned Bank C as analog I/O. My default audio goes to the first 2 Output channels (R/L) on bank C (RCA Jacks). I use a standard Stereo RCA cable to connect Out 1-2 to In 1-2 (Ch 41 stereo) on Bank C.

I still have all 24 channels on my ADAs. Can expand to 2 more ADAs (40ch)

I may use another set of analog In's for a CD player. Occassionally i have a band that need to play backing tracks. otherwise i can also rip them to Media Player too.